Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014

Old 12-15-2011, 01:52 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemic Reign View Post
Not to mention Anneke van Giersbergen
is right, her moment is one of the album highlights as well!
Old 12-15-2011, 09:33 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
is right, her moment is one of the album highlights as well!
For sure. I forgot about this album, super underrated.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 12-16-2011, 02:15 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

15. Opeth - Heritage

Jesus this album caused a bit more of a stir than Opeth had anticipated I think. It seemed there was a serious divide in opinion, from 'I LOVE THIS' to 'I HATE THIS' to 'THIS IS ONLY ALRIGHT' to 'I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK...... NO GROWLS FOR THIS TOUR??? THIS SUCKSSSSSSSS'. In the end though, I find all the nay-sayers essentially sum themselves up in 'MIKAELLLLL!! STOP BEING PROGRESSIVE AND BEING UNEXPECTED AND BE COMPLETELY PREDICTABLE AND STICK TO YOU FORMULA!'. They're a fucking progressive metal band, it is Mikael's exact duty within the music scene to throw curve balls at you, to give you something outside of the standards you normally listen to. I'm a big prog fan, Gentle Giant being one of my favorite bands ever, and this is a dam good record in my opinion, completely harking back to the glory days of prog rock. This is grass-roots progressive music, and god honestly I'm surprised it took Opeth this long to release an album like this. No, its not great, it was never going to reach my top 5, but it was one of my highlights of this year, and I think that, due to both Ghost Reveries and Watershed being quite standard records in formula, people got far too used to Opeth playing in one, albeit very good, style, and forgot that they were a band capable of branching out, and doing it quite well. This is a dam good record, and I'd love more of the same.

Pyre - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndWUtmGOFRo
Old 12-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
19. Hugh Laurie - Let Them Talk

I have no qualms about saying that I fucking love this record. This was either going to be really good or really bad, and thankfully it was the former. Hugh Laurie is a man of many talents, as seen in his televisual roles, and evidently, creating an album of dam catchy hooks is also one of them. I'm a big jazz and blues fan, and this album really is now one of my favorite blues records, with the guest vocalists, including Tom Jones and Irma Thomas, and the guest musicians Vincent Henry and Kevin Breit, this album is just a really awesome, fun listen, with songs such as 'You Don't Know My Mind' and 'Triptina' staying in your head for days after your first listen. It also helps that it is the perfect fireside album for this Christmas!

You Don't Know My Mind - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQsfwqIJuj8
I had no idea.. Didn't think I would like it at all... and did. The "fireside" line sums it up perfectly. very cool
Old 12-16-2011, 08:28 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

I was more disappointed in the tour setlist than the album. Too many great songs getting ignored.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:38 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

14. Obscura - Omnivium

This was a weird album for me, as it has moments that I really don't like and, moments I absolutely love, and as such, the moments I love simply have more weight to them than the ones I don't. The musicianship on this album is second to none, with the highlight being the bass playing, Jeroen Paul Thesseling is a fucking god when it comes to fretless bass. The album opens, oddly enough, with one of its longest tracks, Septuagint, but is a definite powerhouse of musical virtuosity and unrelenting metal aggression. Through Prismal Dawn, straight through to Aevum, the albu, as I said, has some weaker moments, but overall, the moments where your jaw will drop keep it from being any less than a great album.

Septuagint - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huQXCeXn0v0
Old 12-18-2011, 11:43 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

13. Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising

Talking about an Amon Amarth album is kind of fruitless at this stage This is Amon Amarth doing exactly what Amon Amarth always do, which is deliver some dam good viking metal. I really can't say much more on the subject, its a great release in my opinion. Get some beer, bang your head, play a Lord of the Rings video game as Gimli and kick some ass while listening to this record!!

War of the Gods - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVAQQujgSxQ
Old 12-20-2011, 05:30 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

12. Evan Brewer - Alone

When I found out about how good Evan Brewer was, and then found out he was planning a solo record, I got excited. Then the album came out, and I jizzed. A lot. This is a very special record indeed, in my opinion. It features a bassist per-dominantly known for playing in death metal acts and being a general bassist for hire if a band needed one, absolutely throw everyone a huge curve ball by releasing a progressive bass record, that is JUST bass, no other instrument, JUST bass. This is an exciting, exuberant record, and one that really compels the listener, and displays an array of emotions, opening with Actualize getting this clear straight from the off. The Altered Perspective double whammy in the middle is beautiful, and A Climate For Change acts like when the barrier comes up at the end of a roller-coaster, if the roller-coaster was an incredibly gentle ride through a large field with butterflies and leaves flying around you. Beautiful.

Actualize - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQBE...feature=relmfu
Old 12-22-2011, 10:26 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

11. Old Silver Key - Tales Of Wanderings

Drudkh and Alcest. In one band. Soooooooo much fucking win. This is a great record, and completely it's own entity from both Drudkh and Alcest. Progressive, dark, beautiful, endearing, atmospheric, Tales Of Wanderings is the musical equivalent of story-time with your grandad by the fire place. I really can't do this album justice in a review, just check it out and let the music take you away.

Burnt Letter's - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZFr8nU3sak
Old 12-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
12. Evan Brewer - Alone

When I found out about how good Evan Brewer was, and then found out he was planning a solo record, I got excited. Then the album came out, and I jizzed. A lot. This is a very special record indeed, in my opinion. It features a bassist per-dominantly known for playing in death metal acts and being a general bassist for hire if a band needed one, absolutely throw everyone a huge curve ball by releasing a progressive bass record, that is JUST bass, no other instrument, JUST bass. This is an exciting, exuberant record, and one that really compels the listener, and displays an array of emotions, opening with Actualize getting this clear straight from the off. The Altered Perspective double whammy in the middle is beautiful, and A Climate For Change acts like when the barrier comes up at the end of a roller-coaster, if the roller-coaster was an incredibly gentle ride through a large field with butterflies and leaves flying around you. Beautiful.

Actualize - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQBE...feature=relmfu
Hell yeah! Even though I didn't enjoy it as much as you, I'm glad someone else on here checked out this record.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/