King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 1 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 12th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

I've listened to at least one song from each record posted here, so I can't say I didn't try...

The only "hardcore" band I find I like at this point is Chiodos, and they're technically post-hardcore (I really couldn't explain the fundamental differences between hardcore and post-hardcore if I had to).

JD, it just ain't for me man.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:38 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
The only "hardcore" band I find I like at this point is Chiodos, and they're technically post-hardcore (I really couldn't explain the fundamental differences between hardcore and post-hardcore if I had to).
Yeah... Chiodos is definitely not hardcore. Some of my friend's friends think that Vanna and Oh, Sleeper are hardcore, and I just shake my head in shame every time.

Hey, thanks for giving it a shot though! I guess it isn't for everyone in the end. Do you like any punk at all?
Old 12-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Hey, thanks for giving it a shot though! I guess it isn't for everyone in the end. Do you like any punk at all?
I have a great deal of respect for punk just because of its massive influence on the music I do like, but honestly, no. I haven't found any punk I'd listen to on a regular basis for its enjoyment factor. I just can't get in to it.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:06 PM

4. DEAD END PATH - BLIND FAITH

This fall, I went to a Bane show mainly to catch Defeater, who I'd been hearing a lot of buzz about and wanted to see live to judge them myself. Unfortunately, Defeater couldn't even play the show, and I ended up having to wait an hour for the show to start late. I actually fell asleep on one of those comfy chairs on the balcony of Reggie's. Anyway, Bane ended up being alright, but nothing special, and the other band, Miles Away, was kind of too melodic and whiny for me to care about. Hey, it was a Bane show, what was I expecting?

However, the other opening band was Dead End Path. I had never heard 'em before, but let me tell you, never have I fallen in love with a band so fast from seeing them live. As soon as they kicked into the opening notes of Blind Faith, I was absolutely enthralled by their performance. Place went crazy, too. Another debut LP after a series of demos from a young hardcore band, Blind Faith is an absolutely crushing, crisp, catchy, and well constructed hardcore record. The riffs are catchy, the production is stellar, and the crisp scremed vocals are great. One of my favorite records of any genre to come out this year, and definitely one I'd recommend to everyone. Can't wait to catch them again live.

Notable Tracks:
Never Had Heaven Ever
Skeleton Key To The Cemetery

Last edited by jd091; 12-11-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:36 PM

3. S.O.S. - I OWE YOU NOTHING

How could this not be in my top 3? With members from Terror, Hatebreed, Madball, and Agnostic Front, it's the ultimate hardcore supergroup side project. It sounds as you'd imagine it, like all those groups had some twisted hardcore orgy and this popped out as a child. Scott Vogel also continues to prove that he's not only the best hardcore vocalist nowadays, but he's also one of the best lyricists. His shouts are perfect, and carries over the same writing that made Terror have the catchiest lyrics ever. It's got the speed of Terror, heaviness of Hatebreed, fuck-all mentality of Agnostic Front, and groove of Madball. With 7 songs, and only 1 running past the 2 minute mark, this is definitely my EP of the year. Hopefully we'll see more material from these guys in the future. Maybe even a live show? Do yourself a favor and take the next 15 minutes to check out this album.

Notable Tracks:
Decontrol -> Keep Me Outside
I Owe You Nothing
Old 12-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Altars of Radness

bump
Old 12-18-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
bump
Oh shit, thanks for reminding me.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
3. S.O.S. - I OWE YOU NOTHING

How could this not be in my top 3? With members from Terror, Hatebreed, Madball, and Agnostic Front, it's the ultimate hardcore supergroup side project. It sounds as you'd imagine it, like all those groups had some twisted hardcore orgy and this popped out as a child. Scott Vogel also continues to prove that he's not only the best hardcore vocalist nowadays, but he's also one of the best lyricists. His shouts are perfect, and carries over the same writing that made Terror have the catchiest lyrics ever. It's got the speed of Terror, heaviness of Hatebreed, fuck-all mentality of Agnostic Front, and groove of Madball. With 7 songs, and only 1 running past the 2 minute mark, this is definitely my EP of the year. Hopefully we'll see more material from these guys in the future. Maybe even a live show? Do yourself a favor and take the next 15 minutes to check out this album.

Notable Tracks:
Decontrol -> Keep Me Outside
I Owe You Nothing

Never heard of this but just listened to it and its amazing. Totally agree about Scott being one of the best. Also helps that right now I have my Terror shirt on.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Altars of Radness

Yeah, the S.O.S. EP is pretty sick. I hope they record more stuff together.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:02 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Cool list so far, man. There's actually 2 or 3 bands I've never checked out. Really looking forward to checking out the Mother of Mercy album, the way you describe them, it seems like they're pretty solid.

I like your Take Offense choice. I had never heard them before I heard them open for TUI. Honestly, they were the only band I really dug out of the 4-5 that were there opening. They definately have some great metal riffs. They remind me of Terror, which of course is a good thing

Pretty sure I know your #1, and I agree

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)