Arch Enemy and Kreator -- Baltimore, MD -- October 23rd, 2014
Mastodon -- Kansas City, MO -- October 22nd, 2014
Pearl Jam -- Milwaukee, WI -- October 20th, 2014
Fit For A King -- Detroit, MI -- October 21st, 2014

Old 09-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
I did a while back but he had nothing. Could be wrong, but I don't get the feeling he puts as much time into it as he used to.
Been a busy man lately, I'm afraid. I'm not even sure what my end of the year list is going to look like. Hopefully things will quiet down for me so I can get acquainted with some new music, but it's not looking like that'll happen for a while. I'll find something though, I always do .
Old 09-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
Been a busy man lately, I'm afraid. I'm not even sure what my end of the year list is going to look like. Hopefully things will quiet down for me so I can get acquainted with some new music, but it's not looking like that'll happen for a while. I'll find something though, I always do .
If it's any solace, this year seems weaker than the past few. The post-rock doesn't compare to 2011. Black and doom have been strong, but all the albums now at the top took a long time to get there. The Baroness album took a ton of patience. I still need to give more time to Swans and Dødsengel, both of which are massive albums. I've yet to hear an album this year that blew me away from the get go (I don't know what this portends for you and lack of time ). I've considered patience a forte of mine for a while now, I've even prided myself on it, but this year has been really trying.

And I do miss the collaboration.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:38 AM
We're dying on the inside

If this has been a good year for black metal, someone needs to tell me what I'm missing. Right now only Ash Borer has a snowball's chance in hell of making my final list. (Nachtmystium is sitting at #10 but a handful of albums would have to severely disappoint for it to stay there.)

EDIT: In case y'all missed it, here was my review of Ash Borer: http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2012...-cold-of-ages/

Last edited by DethMaiden; 09-24-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
If this has been a good year for black metal, someone needs to tell me what I'm missing. Right now only Ash Borer has a snowball's chance in hell of making my final list. (Nachtmystium is sitting at #10 but a handful of albums would have to severely disappoint for it to stay there.)
Here's what I'm looking at right now, snatched off my list.

Borgne - Royaume des Ombres
Ash Borer - Cold of Ages
Sentimen Beltza - Zulo Beltz eta Sakon Honetan
Mgła - With Hearts Toward None
Furia - Marzannie, Królowej Polski
Lunar Aurora - Hoagascht
Aptorian Demon - Libertus
Dødsengel - Imperator
Panopticon - Kentucky

InThyFlesh is supposed to be releasing a new album this fall, which if as good as Claustrophobia, will be one of the best BM releases this year.

I've read a lot of positive reviews of Rahu's The Quest for the Vajra of Shadows, but I haven't started liking it yet. Same with Spectral Lore's Sentinel.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
If anyone has heard a post-rock album this year worth writing home about, I would love to learn of it.
You need to check out "Red Forest" by If These Trees Could Talk.

It's no "Notes for the Synthesis" or "Plains of the Purple Buffalo", but not every post-rock album needs to have an orchestra on it in order to be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
I guarantee you won't listen to anything as challenging as Swans' "The Seer."
I would tend to agree.

Quote:
Post-rock so far:

1. Mono - For My Parents
2. If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest
3. té - Thus, The Illusion of Density Comes Apart at the Seems
4. Pray For Sound - Monophonic
5. Hypomanie - Calm Down, You Weren't Set on Fire
6. Dumbsaint - Something That You Feel Will Find Its Own Form
7. Collapse Under the Empire - Fragments of a Prayer

Caspian's Waking Season and Summer Fades Away's We Meet the Last Time, Then Departure will hopefully oust some of those albums before it's said and done.

And I haven't given the Swans album enough time yet.
Yet again, I see you and I agree on something here. Never mind my above recommendation.

I'm not so sure the new Caspian will be as outstanding as I might have otherwise expected. I've heard some things that concern me, and they just recently toured here with Cursive and Minus the Bear, which doesn't help to disspell what rumors I've heard about the direction in which they are reportedly headed. Of course, I'll reserve my judgment until I actually hear it.

EDIT: The new pg.lost sounds like it might have some potential as well.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 09-24-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post

EDIT: In case y'all missed it, here was my review of Ash Borer: http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2012...-cold-of-ages/
I like what I've heard of Ash Borer so far. Winterfylleth sounded OK as well, but I only skimmed that one.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:05 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

The only black metal album I've enjoyed this year is the new Vorkreist album, but I can't find it anywhere. I also like The Howling Wind, but the production quality's shit. Oh well.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
It's no "Notes for the Synthesis" or "Plains of the Purple Buffalo"
I think last year was the best year for post-rock since 2000. There's a decent chance we won't see a year like that again for a long, long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I'm not so sure the new Caspian will be as outstanding as I might have otherwise expected. I've heard some things that concern me, and they just recently toured here with Cursive and Minus the Bear, which doesn't help to disspell what rumors I've heard about the direction in which they are reportedly headed. Of course, I'll reserve my judgment until I actually hear it.
This is the one post-rock album left I'm really holding out hope for. I haven't heard either of those two bands they played with, but I do know this thought coming from you is disheartening. Major depression will set in if this album is a disappointment.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:40 PM
N00B

Krallice is black metal album of the year, probably album of the year in general
Old 09-24-2012, 01:53 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

The new Inter Arma EP is quite good, too. It's being released by Gilead Media (False, Barghest, Thou, Hell, Kraliice, Ash Borer, Fell Voices, Mutilation Rites), too.