Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Mastodon -- Newcastle, England -- November 25th, 2014
Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-06-2011, 11:31 AM
...So let the children come to me, their mother loves me so shall they...

Nick's albums of the year - 2011

Hey guys, so I usually do film reviews but this is my first year reviewing the albums of the year so expect some mistakes

How I plan to do this is to put out the notable EPs and honorable mentions of the year today and then list one album per day from tomorrow till the 31st. Hope you guys enjoy the list as much as I enjoy sharing it with you

NOTE: I listened to over 120 albums this year and so it has been extremely difficult for me to whittle this list down to just 25. Feel free to leave your comments, opinions and critiques on the same.

Notable EPs of the year

Cynic - Carbon-Based Anatomy
Giant Squid - Cenotes
Immolation - Providence
Blotted Science - The Animation Of Entomology
Between The Buried And Me - The Parallax Hypersleep Dialogues
A Broken Team
No Word Said
A Silent Vow
We Loved You Then
We Love You Now

Last edited by Seventhzealot; 12-06-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:33 AM

Honorable Mentions (In no particular order)

Symphony X - Iconoclast
The much awaited follow-up to Paradise Lost is a tad lengthy but fruitful affair. Russel Allen once again proves why he is one of the most respected vocalists in heavy metal. This is one album which I really hate to put in my honorable mentions but thats been the nature of the realeases this year.

Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events
John Petrucci and Jordan Ruddess demonstrate that they indeed are fantastic songwriters by delivering a really solid album, the first without co-founder Mike Portnoy.

Disma - Towards The Megalith
Take some spine-crushing sludgy riffs and the brutality of death metal and you get Disma's debut. Having said that, these guys have been around for a long time and that shows in the old school nature of their music(and album art).

Woods Of Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason
The post-black metal or "dark metal" genre has been replete with releases in the past few years. Australia's Woods Of Desolation, though deliver a record that stands apart with some distinction as much for its atmosphere as for its execution.

Machine Head - Unto The Locust
Machine Head have always tended to polarize the metal community into conflicting opinions on their work but 'Unto The Locust' gives a pretty good idea of Machine Head as a band and that's not always a bad thing

Opeth - Heritage
Undoubtedly the record which warranted the most discussion across metal apart from except Lulu. Opeth's ode to 70s progressive rock, bereft of growls and their trademark heavy dynamics, falls short of their albums of past but is not a bad effort either.
A Broken Team
No Word Said
A Silent Vow
We Loved You Then
We Love You Now

Last edited by Seventhzealot; 12-06-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:35 AM

Grayceon - All We Destroy
An entry which might surprise many but this almost made my top 25. Grayceon play a blend of well written progressive metal fused with the magic of the cello and some heavy riffing. This is an album not to be missed.

Solstafir - Svartir Sandar
Moving away from their previously existing black metal roots, Solstafir release a post rock/metal release replete with psychedelic elements. Also its sung entirely in Icelandic.

Fleshgod Apocalypse - Agony
Talented Italian brutal death metallers FleshGod Apocalypse blend the pace of technical death metal with the classical aura of orchestration to leave you with several memorable moments.

Lazarus AD - Black Rivers Flow
The release of the year which disappointed many. I was pretty much enamored with this on first listen but on subsequent listens, some flaws are discernable. Like some of the newer thrash bands, the vocals are a point of contention for me but overall, a decent album with a few solid tracks.

Wolves In The Throne Room - Celestial Lineage
Heralded as one of the more talented bands in the 'new wave of American black metal' WITTR albums are always a focus of much discussion. Contrary to their previous albums, this has shorter songs and more of an atmospheric element to it.

Septicflesh - The Great Mass
Armed with a choir and the Prague filmharmonic orchestra to boot, Septicflesh embarked on perhaps their most ambitious project yet and they pull it off rather well.
A Broken Team
No Word Said
A Silent Vow
We Loved You Then
We Love You Now

Last edited by Seventhzealot; 12-06-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Looks good so far! One of those albums is going to pop up on my list.

Looking forward to the rest
01.27 Dark Tranquillity
Old 12-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventhzealot View Post
Solstafir - Svartir Sandar
Moving away from their previously existing black metal roots, Solstafir release a post rock/metal release replete with psychedelic elements. Also its sung entirely in Icelandic.
Super stoked to see this album mentioned.

This record really hit me in a lot of different ways. To say they've moved away from their roots in an understatement, but unlike a lot of bands that do (Morbid Angel), it really works for them. Super interesting band, super interesting record.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemic Reign View Post
Looks good so far! One of those albums is going to pop up on my list.

Looking forward to the rest
Nice to know man! Look forward to your list too

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
Super stoked to see this album mentioned.

This record really hit me in a lot of different ways. To say they've moved away from their roots in an understatement, but unlike a lot of bands that do (Morbid Angel), it really works for them. Super interesting band, super interesting record.
Yeah I didn't word that one right I was going for something like "their black metal roots are completely non-existent now". But yeah its a very interesting album and maybe not the most natural of progressions, but a worthwhile one.
A Broken Team
No Word Said
A Silent Vow
We Loved You Then
We Love You Now
Old 12-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Cynic - Carbon-Based Anatomy
Giant Squid - Cenotes
Quote:
Disma - Towards The Megalith
Take some spine-crushing sludgy riffs and the brutality of death metal and you get Disma's debut. Having said that, these guys have been around for a long time and that shows in the old school nature of their music(and album art).

Woods Of Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason
The post-black metal or "dark metal" genre has been replete with releases in the past few years. Australia's Woods Of Desolation, though deliver a record that stands apart with some distinction as much for its atmosphere as for its execution.
Quote:
Grayceon - All We Destroy
An entry which might surprise many but this almost made my top 25. Grayceon play a blend of well written progressive metal fused with the magic of the cello and some heavy riffing. This is an album not to be missed.

Wolves In The Throne Room - Celestial Lineage
Heralded as one of the more talented bands in the 'new wave of American black metal' WITTR albums are always a focus of much discussion. Contrary to their previous albums, this has shorter songs and more of an atmospheric element to it.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:03 AM

Anthrax - Worship Music
Megaforce Records

With Joey Belladonna back in the ranks, much was expected from Anthrax's first full length record in seven years and with much joy I can say that they didn't disappoint. Clocking in at 65 minutes(mainly due to the final song clocking at 15 minutes), Worship Music represents a signifact return to form for the band. Belladonna shows that he still possesses the vocal chords to hit all the right notes while the guitar pairing of Scott Ian and Rob Caggiano produce some absolute face-melters, especially in 'I'm Alive'. Anthrax also manage to keep in touch with their punk roots with a Refused cover which is included as a hidden track. To wrap it up, I'd say this is a pretty solid record and deserves its place in the top 25.

I'm Alive

A Broken Team
No Word Said
A Silent Vow
We Loved You Then
We Love You Now
Old 12-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

A great album.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-08-2011, 11:08 AM

Altar Of Plagues - Mammal
Profound Lore Records

Another jewel in Profound Lore's crown, Altar of Plagues' sophomore effort 'Mammal' is a 51 minute long journey deep into the abyss of your subconscience. All the tracks, more or less lead into one another but still are fairly distinguishable. The riffing, though simple, is quite hypnotic and with the succinct drumming, provides a majestic wall of sound that drives this album. The band also manage to break the flow by including an ambient and almost disturbing track featuring an old lady singing a Gaelic dirge. The vocals can best be summed up as screams which get increasingly aggressive as the album progresses along, epitomizing the existentialism and nihility expressed in the lyrics.

When The Sun Drowns In The Ocean
A Broken Team
No Word Said
A Silent Vow
We Loved You Then
We Love You Now