KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-18-2011, 04:57 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I've never gotten into Circus Maximus. I tried. I tried a lot. But I can't get over their DT Ripoffs to enjoy anything else about them. I have both CM albums and anytime I try to get into either album. I have to switch it off after a song or tow....I just can't do it.
Both Circus Maximus albums are better than anything DT's done since Scenes From a Memory, but I still consider that an irrelevant point. What specifically about Circus Maximus is so much cloning DT that you can't like them? Sure, theyr'e Progressive Metal in the style that DT developed, as are many, many other bands. But just because you play a style developed by a band doesn't make you a worthless clone. That's like saying all traditional metal bands with guitar harmonies are worthless Maiden clones.

Furthermore, how is CM too derivative, when Pagan's Mind actually has a song or two that I can specifically cite sound exactly like certain Dream Theater songs?
Old 12-18-2011, 05:18 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Both Circus Maximus albums are better than anything DT's done since Scenes From a Memory, but I still consider that an irrelevant point. What specifically about Circus Maximus is so much cloning DT that you can't like them? Sure, theyr'e Progressive Metal in the style that DT developed, as are many, many other bands. But just because you play a style developed by a band doesn't make you a worthless clone. That's like saying all traditional metal bands with guitar harmonies are worthless Maiden clones.

Furthermore, how is CM too derivative, when Pagan's Mind actually has a song or two that I can specifically cite sound exactly like certain Dream Theater songs?
Well I never said that was the ONLY reason. but it is the biggest contributing factor. It's really hard for me to describe it without listening again and point out factors. It's just not really for me. Just like I'm not really a Kamelot fan either. I've tried for years. I even bought Ghost Opera the Tuesday it was released. It's just not for me. There's no real technical reasons for it other then it doesn't click with me like it should as a Prog fan.

Heavenly Ecstasy is the first Pagan's Mind album where I didn't notice a heavy DT influence. I dare say I like it the best.

On a non-related subject, apparently Mike Portnoy thinks Dream Theater ripped off the band, Red with Build Me Up, Break Me Down.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:
18.) Primordial- Redemption at The Puritian's Hand
Having only discovered these guys this year. I'm pissed at myself for not finding out about them earlier. Primordial is the perfect Irish Folk Metal/Black Metal band. Mostly Blind Guardian style clean vocals with the occasional Black Metal backups or screams in verses. The music....HOLY FUCK....IT IS EPIC! If you love true evil heavy metal, this album is for you. I will give anything for Primordial to tour in 2012.....ANYTHING!
Great album, nice pick. Like you just got into them with this release and was blown away.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:03 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb420 View Post
Great album, nice pick. Like you just got into them with this release and was blown away.
Glad to see I wasn't the only new fan this year. Such killer music. I know they are playing ProgPower. but they gotta do a full on tour. They just have to.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:
Glad to see I wasn't the only new fan this year. Such killer music. I know they are playing ProgPower. but they gotta do a full on tour. They just have to.
I know, imagine them with Amon Amarth. That would be the definition of epic.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:12 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb420 View Post
I know, imagine them with Amon Amarth. That would be the definition of epic.
They were originally suppose to be on the Enslaved/Alcest tour, but their visas didn't get in on time.

Amon Amarth would be a good choice.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:16 PM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Quote:
They were originally suppose to be on the Enslaved/Alcest tour, but their visas didn't get in on time.
WHAT

Oh man... I'd definitely take them over Ghost, and I love Ghost! Sucks but yeah I do hope they tour the states next year... seeing as how they're doing Paganfest Europe with Negura Bunget and Equilibrium, maybe that's a potential lineup for when they tour here the next time
Old 12-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:

Amon Amarth would be a good choice.
That sucks, would have been a way better fit for them than Junius or Ghost.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:54 PM
That Guy

It was never made publicly, but yeah it does suck balls.

Junius did kick ass though. I'm a huge fan after seeing them live.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:30 PM
That Guy

The Top 20, Part 2: 15-11

15.) Opeth- Heritage

Opeth have really polarized themselves from the Death Metal scene by releasing their 2nd album without Growls or Death Metal of any kind with Heritage. It is a pure 70's Prog album with lots of elements of Folky and and acoustic Music as well. Songs like Slither show they are still just as heavy as ever. I will admit it does get boring in the 3rd quarter of the album, but the rest of the album is great. and well worthy of a top 20 spot. Nothing in top 10, but Top 20 for sure.

14.) Wolves In The Throne Room- Celestial Lineage
Many people say WITTR are the band responsible for the new wave of Atmospheric Black Metal. It's really hard to disagree. They do everything that I love in Black Metal. Just as evil as any Emperor or Darkthrone but enjoyable to any Post Rock/Post Metal fan.I Dare say this is their most Epic album to date. This album is one of the best Black Metal albums to be released in recent time. Hipsters love this style....and even that doesn't drive me away from the great music behind it. I hope one day I'll get to see them live.

13.) Leprous- Bilateral
Easily one of the best Prog albums to ever be released. And the only reason why this isn't higher is because of the lack of time I have been able to digest this album before having to of made my top 20 list/Radio show. Every song is killer from start to finish, my personal favorite being the album closer, Painful Detour. Leprous is also the current backing band for Ihsahn. It's a great combination for sure. If you like your Progressive Metal with a bit of Ihsahn style's Norwegian Blackened metal, and quirky as hell. This is the album for you. Don't ignore this amazing album!

12.) Fair To Midland- Arrows And Anchors

Fair to Midland can do no wrong. Some the say the production isn't the best on this album, but I always look past production and focus on the songs at hand. That's what this album has, fantastic songwriting and structure. Very catchy hooks, and and overall scene of power you don't hear in popular Progressive Rock/Metal. I might even go as far to say that I prefer this to Fables...I'm not quite there yet, but right now they are dead even.

11.) Deafheaven- Roads To Judah
Four of the most perfectly crafted Post Rock/Black Metal songs ever made....especially for a debut album! And they have been scaring off Hipsters while being on tour with Russian Circles this year...another 10 points added to their awesomeness. haha. But seriously. This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for in the Post Rock and Black Metal worlds and Deafheaven combined them perfectly. Please do yourself a favor and get this album ASAP! You will be so glad that you did.

Coming up next time. 10-6!