Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-10-2011, 02:25 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
29.) Arch/Matheos- Sympathetic Resonance[/b]

John Arch with the current instrumental line up of Fates Warning. honestly, what would be better? It appears as those there is some bad blood or something going on with Matheos and Ray Adler (Nether side is going into details) But regardless, you should just consider this the newest Fates Warning album. There's no reason not to. It is just badass from start to finish. Midnight Serenade is the perfect Prog Metal single, and every song is just awesome. Although there is only 6 songs. It is jam packed and a full fledged Prog Metal album. Definitely worthy of being one of the best Prog Metal albums of the year.
Ray Alder singing on this album, that's what would be better.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:26 PM
...So let the children come to me, their mother loves me so shall they...

Quote:
[b]Part 4: 29-21

28.) Woods Of Desolation-Torn Beyond Reason

The best straight up Black Metal album of the year. Hand down. It has everything...EVERYTHING you need in a Black Metal release. Its sad, it's angry, it's dark, and always ironically uplifting (Like most black Metal albums in my opinion, just based on the fact the actual music gives off that kinda feeling). Australia's Woods Of Desolation made the perfect Black Metal album this year. It's been in and out of my top 20 all year. Sadly it didn't make the mark. But this will go down as a must have for all you Black Metal purists.

Quote:
27.) Fleshgod Apocalypse- Agony

Symphonic Death Metal at it's finest. It makes me feel so shitty of a drummer to know that he has only been playing 3 years now, and recorded this album. How the fuck can someone play blast beats this fast, precise, and relentless after only playing drums for 3 years? But the album itself has all the symphonic backgrounds I love that Dimmu Borgir ruined in Black Metal and just the brutality of Death Metal that is lacking in Death Metal. It's not very technical outside the drums. just fast, heavy and brutal. Sometimes that's all you need in Death metal. I don't have much Death Metal in my list this year. but this I couldn't do without!
Really liked this one too.

Quote:
23.) Anaal Nathrakh- Passion

This is the album you get when you combine every style of Metal into one band. Industrial and Black Metal, Death Metal and Grindcore being the main influences. As if Strapping Young Lad, didn't get extreme enough. IF you're not into this style of music at all. I only recommend listening to this in very small doses, but if you give it a chance you might actually start to appreciate it. It's fucked up *no pun intended from the review above* but it is spectacular.
Holy crap! is all I can say when I listened to it at first!
A Broken Team
No Word Said
A Silent Vow
We Loved You Then
We Love You Now
Old 12-10-2011, 02:30 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Ray Alder singing on this album, that's what would be better.

While that could be true. I've always been a fan of John Arch and his vocal style. I love the early FW albums as much as the Adler era. SO I'm not disappointed at all. Besides, Adler had Redemption this year. and notice how I haven't mentioned yet. Hmmmm
Old 12-10-2011, 02:31 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventhzealot View Post

Really liked this one too.

Holy crap! is all I can say when I listened to it at first!

Glad to see more love for Woods of Desolation, Fleshgod Apocalypse and Anaal Nathrakh (besides just Manks, haha)
Old 12-10-2011, 02:34 PM
...So let the children come to me, their mother loves me so shall they...

Quote:
Glad to see more love for Woods of Desolation, Fleshgod Apocalypse and Anaal Nathrakh (besides just Manks, haha)
I have WoD and FgA on my honorable mentions Both of them made the initial list but some last minute alterations meant I had to take them off with a heavy heart.

Anaal Nathrakh are well..Anaal Nathrakh!
A Broken Team
No Word Said
A Silent Vow
We Loved You Then
We Love You Now
Old 12-10-2011, 02:39 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventhzealot View Post
I have WoD and FgA on my honorable mentions Both of them made the initial list but some last minute alterations meant I had to take them off with a heavy heart.

Anaal Nathrakh are well..Anaal Nathrakh!
Same. More so WOD. It was sitting at number 20 for months until some new albums I listened to and sadly knocked it off.

But the top 20 (that won't be posted until around the time my top 20 radio show airs) is all the reason why.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Good to see some love for Fleshgod and Times Of Grace. Both of those albums are pretty underappreciated.
7/22 Converge

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Good to see some love for Fleshgod and Times Of Grace. Both of those albums are pretty underappreciated.
DOES NOT COMPUTE

Sorry guise.
More real than any god ever was
Old 12-11-2011, 03:46 PM
That Guy

Part 5: The EP's of 2011

Unlike the fuck up I did not fix for album 55-21, I will just do this in random order...that's it.

1. - 9.) The Dear Hunter- The Color Spectrum (9 EPs)

The Dear Hunter did something this year that I've always wanted them to do. expand their sound even more. Everything from Heavy Industrial, to Hard Rock To Blues to County To Folk. All 9 EPs representing the entire Color Spectrum (From Black To White). This is the compilation for those that really can call themselves MUSIC fans, not just one or two genres. There is at least one EP to satisfy any music fan. Look into it and find some damn good music.

10.) Adrenaline Mob- Adrenaline Mob

Sorry Mike, I tried...I tried hard. The only song I can really get into is The Mob Rules. The original songs, while have excellent musicianship, just aren't for me. Having Never really been a Disturbed fan. I probably never will. I will still be looking into the full length when it comes out, but I'm not putting any expectations on it outside any covers that will be a part of it. I'm much more into Flying Colors, and the John Sykes projects that will be coming out in 2012. If I wasn't already a fan of Black Label Society and Pantera,I probably would have enjoyed this a bit more.

11.) Emmanuel and The Fear- Hands

A mainly Mellow/Subdue EP. This one as well I had a hard time getting into. Their album from last year is a mindblowing album. This sounds like it was only made to hold people over until the next album comes out. The first 2 tracks are pretty rockin' the rest falls apart to me. But these guys are very much worth looking into if you are a fan of newer Alternative Prog Rock. They are a great band. But just start with their first album first. Not Hands.

12.) Giant Squid- Cenotes

Giant Squid is for people who like their music left of center. They never stick to one particular style. If you had to categorize them, I'd say Progressive Doom Metal. This EP is very damn good, but I haven't spent enough time with it just yet. From the listens that I have given it, I will say it is a lot more accessible and more direct then their previous work. Not a bad thing at all and a great starting place for new fans. If you like adventurous Metal, check out Giant Squid!

13.) Blotted Science- The Animation Of Entomology

Nearly 25 minutes of "WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?" Blotted Science has gotten even more insane from their debut album 2 years ago. Switching out drummer Charlie Zeleny for Obscura's Hannes Grossmann. This is just absolutely mindblowing Progressive Metal and that is not for the faint of heart. If you try to comprehend everything going on, you mind my fry. But it is soooo worth it. For the most off the wall heavy as hell, absolutely insane EP of 2011. GET THIS NOW!

14.) Time and Tension- Time And Tension

The self released debut EP from the next big Progressive Rock/Metal band from Canada. I've known these guys for years (Thanks to facebook and the Mike Portnoy Forum). When I finally heard the full version of these 3 tracks that became the Self Titled EP. I was in shock. It turned out so damn good. Dream Theater mixed with Porcupine Tree, made int he perfect way. It's the perfect EP for any real Prog fan, that wants to just kick back, relax and enjoy some damn beautiful music. It's available for free on their bandcamp page, so you have no excuse not to check this out. You'll be glad you did.

15.) Kevin Suter- Novus Initium

While doing my usual searching for new music I cam across this and I gotta admit, i am impressed. another one man band of Instrumental Math Metal. Picture a Heavier Cloudkicker and more to the point instead of just ambiance. That's this EP. I don't know if Kevin Suter will continue making more music or not, since I don't much about him, but I hope that if he continues he will be able to continue making music as good as these 4 songs. Very damn impressive.

16.) Riverside- Memories In My Head

Another EP that I haven't been able to give my full attention to quite yet. They are continuing on with what made them a better band on their last album. Really cool Progressive Rock, not so much focusing on Metal. Which to me, is much more interesting then their past albums before that time. While this isn't their best work. It is still pretty good and worth checking out.

17.) Black Dog Rd- Endeavor's Child

Is it fair to put my own EP up on this? You bet your ass it is. Haha. This is the most proud I have ever been in any band to be apart of. I haven't played music like this since I was in grade school. I've been so focused on Metal and at the time, Cover bands to ever give this side of my playing a chance. It's bluesy at times, It's got parts of Alternative and Classic Rock, all with our modern sound. 7 songs that just kick my ass. I love it. If you are interested, you can check out Black Dog Rd on Facebook and listen to the whole EP, and if you dig it, download the whole thing for just 5 bucks! *end plug*

18.) Blizzard At Sea- Invariance

Another just badass Progressive Metal EP. It is VERY inspired by Leviathan era Mastodon. Which is nowhere near a bad thing. 4 killer songs that makes for a killer EP. I hope these guys can make it. It needs to be heard. If you need a kickass 26 Minute Progressive Metal assault. This is where it's at.

19.) Cloudkicker- Let Yourself Be Huge

I believe Cloudkicker realized that all Djent and Metal bands have ripped off Cloudkicker by this point and he decided to pull a 180 on all of us, This is a very mellow and heart warming EP. *I would have added Loop to this as well, but that is basically just one song* Let Yourself Be Huge is the perfect Anti-Math Metal EP coming from a Math Metal band and the title track is the first song in Cloudkicker's history to have vocals. this is one of my favorite EPs of the year I wish I could say it was an album so it could have made my top 20 list.

20.) Returning We Hear The Larks- Proud England

Another Math Metal/Progressive Metal band that scene kids will call Djent. I am actually really impressed with this EP. Having had no prior knowledge of the band before this time. Is it the most original EP around. Not by a long shot. But the music behind it is very damn good. Subdue at times, heavy at others. If you dig this style at all. They are very much worth your time.

21.) Matterhorn- Vol. 1. The World Began without Man...

The most impressive debut EP of the year IMO. Torche meets Mastodon in an instrumental way. They know when to be fast and brutal, yet know when to be sludgy and brutal. It's a fantastic combination. I gotta hand it to them. They knocked my socks off and haven't stopped. Now I'm eagerly waiting Vol. 2. CHECK THIS OUT!!!

22.) Caldera- Mithra

Instrumental Black Metal mixed with Doom Metal and a little bit of Prog. Both songs on this EP make it equal to 34 minutes (15 and 18 minutes). This does prove my point to a T that the main reason people can't get into Black Metal is because of the vocals. This proves how good Black Metal actually can be if you take away the tr00ness and the kvlt and just focus on the damn music. Its fantastic stuff!

23.) Cynic- Carbon Based Anatomy

Outside the drumming of Sean Reinert. There is nothing Metal about this EP. Just pure Progressive Rock...and I wouldn't want it any other way. This EP is perfection in every sense of the word. Combining everything that is great about Cynic in a 23 minute flat EP. It's so damn beautiful and proggy at the same time. It's tied with BTBAM as the best EP of the year!

24.) Between The Buried And Me- The Parallax: The Hypersleep Dialogues

This is the perfect 30 minute Mini album (Or EP, whatever, fuck you *South Park reference*) This whole EP is a concept EP that will be continued on their 2012 full length release. It is very spacey this time around, and I dare say their finest songwriting to date. They did write their best song ever on this release. Lunar Wilderness. I can only imagine what the full length is going to sound like. As of now it's my most anticipated release of 2012. BTBAM has done no wrong. Only getting better and better. This EP proves it!

25.) Angel Vivaldi- Universal Language

The 3rd best EP of the year. This is absolutely mindblowing Music. Again it is Instrumental Progressive Metal featuring Angel Vivaldi, and drummer Bill Fore formerly of Mutiny Within. It is an instrumental concept album going through Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring all over the universe. The musicianship behind this album is simply stunning. I really really hope Angel Vivaldi will keep this project going and release more music, and even more so....TOUR. This is way too damn good to ignore. Check this out ASAP!

26.) FALSE- (untitled)

The Twin Cities own best Black Metal band. This 2 song EP (25 minutes long) is some of the best pure, straight up Black Metal I've heard in a very long time. It's relentless in it's evil nature, but so damn good at the same time. USBM gets a bad rap all the time (Those damn vegan hipsters, haha) But this is amazing Black Metal. It's awesome they are local as well. I hope in 2012 they will start to get more known. I'll do what I can to support them.

27.) Immolation- Providence

It's about time I ended a segment on a particularly BRUTAL note. Don't get these guys confused with Black Metal's Immortal. Immolation is a fucking brutal Death Metal band from New York, who knows how to make damn good Death Metal, this FREE EP is just awesome. Death Metal with an edge and not boring. and since it is free. It's hard to complain. Immolation is one of the best bands in the genre. Check out this FREE EP.

Coming up next time...The Best Bands In The Minnesota/Northern Wisconsin Area

Last edited by MPF; 12-11-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:16 PM
That Guy

*Bump Bitches*