King Diamond -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 18th, 2014
Satan -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 17th, 2014
Deicide -- Kansas City, MO -- October 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Nothing but bands I saw at a festival at a megachurch in town.
Burzum?

Didn't know they were playing megachurch fests these days.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:47 AM
That Guy

Part 3- 39 to 30

39.) Amorphis- The Beginning Of Times

Amorphis has done no wrong in my eyes (That's right you read it...NO WRONG) The Beginning Of Times is continuing on from Skyforger in a better way. Every song is just as catchy as the next, while still being Proggy and Folky and just overall great songwriting. I heard great rumors that Amorphis will be touring with Nightwish in 2012 in the states, let's hope this is a full scale tour!!!

38.) Tesseract- One

The last Djent album to be featured in this list. TesseracT's One is the Fates Warning Of Djent. While it has elements of Djent, they are much better then the term gives them credit for. Although they lost their vocalist back a few months ago. I'm still holding hope that they will be able to still be as badass as One was. This whole album is just killer.

37.) Omega Massif- Karpatia

One of my favorite discoveries of the year. Heavy, Sludgey, Doomy, Proggy, and Instrumental. Damn what a perfect combination. Omega Massif takes all the best parts of Post Metal, gets rid of the boring shit, and replaces it with Dynamics and heaviness that needs to be in all future Post Metal bands. It's not too often I can be blown away like this. Omega Massif did it. Check this shit out!

36.) Thulcandra- Under The Frozen Sun

Classic Black Metal. From members of the band, Obscura. I love Black Metal, and this album....DAMN! it is perfection. If you are looking for everything that made Black Metal good, before it got so mundane this album is for you!

35.) Old Silver Key- Tales Of Wanderings

Neige and Drudkh on the same album, how could this possibly suck? It can't! It's the perfect Post Rock (with vocals) album. While there are some elements of Black Metal it's few and far between, no black Metal screams, just musically It's all in clean English and very romantic and beautiful. I'm a sucker for these kinds of albums, and I gotta admit I love every track. Whenever you are feeling down or lonely, or if you are in love, this album is for you!

34.) Symphony X- Iconoclast

Some people say this is SX's best album, some say it sucks because there is no variety and it all sounds like one long double album song. I happen to believe it's the album Paradise should have been. While there are some great songs on Paradise Lost, it overall wasn't up to par. Iconoclast on the other hand is amazing. Not their best by any means, but god damn! If you like heavy Progressive Metal. Check out Iconoclast. It's well worth it.

33.) Charred Walls OF The Damned- Cold Winds on Timeless Days

In speaking of albums that should have been better. That's how I feel about the Self Titled album from Charred Walls Of THe Damned. Richard Christy is one of my biggest drumming influences. but after repeated listens, the Self Titled album gets hard to listen to. NO SO on Cold Winds Of Timeless Days. This album is perfection. Ripper Owens knows how to use his voice on this album (One of the bigger problems with the S/T album) This is pure Progressive Power Metal. It's such a shame that this will not be toured behind extensively. I really wanna see these guys live. This album is why.

32.) The Anabasis- Back From Being Gone

Epic Progressive Metal. What more could a guy like me need? Featuring Ryo from Spock's Beard. This album is just perfection in my eyes. Is the production perfect, no, but what would you expect from an unsigned band. But it is loud clear, and very awesome to listen to. Every song is just as fun to listen to as the next. Including all the epic songs involved. (Only 6 songs on this one, 3 epics.) IF you need a refresher on amazing Progressive Metal. Check out my good friends in, The Anabasis!

31.) Darkest Hour- The Human Romance

Darkest Hour lost all my interest when they dropped Kris Norris, and decided that Devin Townsend wasn't good enough for them to produce their albums anymore. But they got it back with this one. With Peter from Soilwork manning the producing. They made a Melodic Thrash/ Melodic Death Metal album. That is very damn catchy and enjoyable from front to back. Something I thought I would ever be able to say again. If you liked The Kris Norris era of Darkest Hour, Check out The Human Romance!

30.) sleepmakeswaves- ...and so we destroyed everything

Again another example of what Post Rock is suppose to be. Un-boring dynamic, instrumental Rock music. This was an album I had been meaning to check out all year, then when i finally got around to it. i couldn't shut it off. While the band name, album title and song titles are a bit...hipster. The music more then makes up for it! If you need a break from the Post Rock monotony. get this NOW!!!

Next time...part 4 29-21

Last edited by MPF; 12-08-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Part 3- 39 to 30

39.) Amorphis- The Beginning Of Times

Amorphis has done no wrong in my eyes (That's right you read it...NO WRONG) The Beginning Of Times is continuing on from Skyforger in a better way. Every song is just as catchy as the next, while still being Proggy and Folky and just overall great songwriting. I heard great rumors that Amorphis will be touring with Nightwish in 2012 in the states, let's hope this is a full scale tour!!!!
I need to revisit this album again, I only listened to it once and kind of forgot about it. Not that it was bad, I think I just wasn't in the mood for new Amorphis at the time.

I still hope you're right about that tour, but I've heard the Universal City show referred to as "the only Nightwish show on US soil for all of 2012".

01.27 Dark Tranquillity
Old 12-08-2011, 01:09 AM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemic Reign View Post
I need to revisit this album again, I only listened to it once and kind of forgot about it. Not that it was bad, I think I just wasn't in the mood for new Amorphis at the time.

I still hope you're right about that tour, but I've heard the Universal City show referred to as "the only Nightwish show on US soil for all of 2012".

I heard that as well, but the folks that I know in the St. Paul area have told me, they are planning this to be a full scale. It wouldn't make sense for them to do only one show when it costs that much to get visas....and it's not ProgPower right?
Old 12-08-2011, 01:26 AM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Quote:
I heard that as well, but the folks that I know in the St. Paul area have told me, they are planning this to be a full scale. It wouldn't make sense for them to do only one show when it costs that much to get visas....and it's not ProgPower right?
True, although both bands are scheduled for the 70k Tons of Metal cruise just after Universal City and Nightwish is booked for a Finnish show in early March. So if they do indeed pull out a full US tour this year, I'd imagine it would be much later in the year...

Edit: Just looked at their website and they've got European dates from March to the beginning of May and then another Finnish show in July. So hopefully in the fall they might make it here?
01.27 Dark Tranquillity

Last edited by Epidemic Reign; 12-08-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:09 AM
...So let the children come to me, their mother loves me so shall they...

Quote:
[b]Part 3- 39 to 30

36.) Thulcandra- Under The Frozen Sun

Classic Black Metal. From members of the band, Obscura. I love Black Metal, and this album....DAMN! it is perfection. If you are looking for everything that made Black Metal good, before it got so mundane this album is for you!
Fucking stoked to see this here. This record has really gone under the radar which is a shame because it is so good.
A Broken Team
No Word Said
A Silent Vow
We Loved You Then
We Love You Now
Old 12-08-2011, 04:08 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventhzealot View Post
Fucking stoked to see this here. This record has really gone under the radar which is a shame because it is so good.
I played Gates Of Eden on my Halloween show, and damn did people dig it. I'm glad I can show off REAL Black Metal to kids who love their Pabst Blue RIbbon and Taylor Swift.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandWazoo40 View Post
*sighs*

The whole calling everything electronic Dubstep thing around here is really gonna get on my nerves.... lol
Welcome to my world, brotha.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:46 PM
That Guy

Part 4: 29-21

29.) Arch/Matheos- Sympathetic Resonance

John Arch with the current instrumental line up of Fates Warning. honestly, what would be better? It appears as those there is some bad blood or something going on with Matheos and Ray Adler (Nether side is going into details) But regardless, you should just consider this the newest Fates Warning album. There's no reason not to. It is just badass from start to finish. Midnight Serenade is the perfect Prog Metal single, and every song is just awesome. Although there is only 6 songs. It is jam packed and a full fledged Prog Metal album. Definitely worthy of being one of the best Prog Metal albums of the year.

28.) Woods Of Desolation-Torn Beyond Reason

The best straight up Black Metal album of the year. Hand down. It has everything...EVERYTHING you need in a Black Metal release. Its sad, it's angry, it's dark, and always ironically uplifting (Like most black Metal albums in my opinion, just based on the fact the actual music gives off that kinda feeling). Australia's Woods Of Desolation made the perfect Black Metal album this year. It's been in and out of my top 20 all year. Sadly it didn't make the mark. But this will go down as a must have for all you Black Metal purists.

27.) Fleshgod Apocalypse- Agony

Symphonic Death Metal at it's finest. It makes me feel so shitty of a drummer to know that he has only been playing 3 years now, and recorded this album. How the fuck can someone play blast beats this fast, precise, and relentless after only playing drums for 3 years? But the album itself has all the symphonic backgrounds I love that Dimmu Borgir ruined in Black Metal and just the brutality of Death Metal that is lacking in Death Metal. It's not very technical outside the drums. just fast, heavy and brutal. Sometimes that's all you need in Death metal. I don't have much Death Metal in my list this year. but this I couldn't do without!

26.) Times Of Grace- The Hymn Of The Broken Man

Killswitch Engage.....I mean Times Of Grace put out a very solid Metalcore album with a ting of Post Rock way in the beginning of this year. This is how I wish the last KSE album actually sounded. and I have a feeling the new KSE due to come out fall 2012 will sound a bit like this. Jesse has been sorely missed by myself and other fans for years. It's great to hear him back where he belongs, working with Adam D.

25.) Fucked Up- David Comes To Life

There's not much Hardcore I listen to, but when I do, again like Grindcore, it better knock the shit out of me. This is old school Hardcore, mixed with Punk Rock and an overall Epic Concept feel through out. Like if Black Flag started working with Green Day consulted by The Ramones. Every song is very catchy and just badass. It's one of the red-headed step children albums on my list simply because I don't listen to this genre much. But Fucked Up is bringing back what used to be great about it, before it was over saturated in the Mid-90s. Hipster loved or not. I Love Fucked Up!

24.) Beardfish- Mammoth

Anyone miss 70's Prog like I do? Well now you don't have to with Beardfish. Beardfish has been around for a long time now. but Mammoth is easily the best album the band has ever written. 70's Prog mixed with Zappa style humor and musical styles and some of the best musicianship in Prog today. Those that aren't looking for Technical Prog Metal, and just want some sometimes heavy Prog Rock mixed with what made 70's Prog awesome. Check out Beardfish!

23.) Anaal Nathrakh- Passion

This is the album you get when you combine every style of Metal into one band. Industrial and Black Metal, Death Metal and Grindcore being the main influences. As if Strapping Young Lad, didn't get extreme enough. IF you're not into this style of music at all. I only recommend listening to this in very small doses, but if you give it a chance you might actually start to appreciate it. It's fucked up *no pun intended from the review above* but it is spectacular.

22.) Falloch- Where Distant Spirits Remain

Alcest, Agalloch and Primordial mixed together makes for one of the best damn albums of the year. This was originally in my top 20, but it does belong more in the top 25. Some consider this bland and boring. I consider it a masterpiece. The main reason this isn't in my top 20, is that I wanted more variety in my top 20 list. This album is perfection in every sense of the word. If you like Blackened Post/Folk Metal (Agalloch, Alcest, Primordial) do yourself a favor and enjoy Falloch. It's too damn good to ignore.

21.) Zebulon Pike- Space Is The Corpse of Time

Minnesota's own Zebulon Pike (recently featured on National Public Radio as their band of the day), combines the best of music as they say in their own words "The music of from 1975 to 1979. An Instrumental band that is Black Sabbath and Rush mixed together. The doom sludgy, Metal of Sabbath, and the progginess of early Rush. These 5 songs make up 49 minutes of the Stoner Prog Metal, that no one has really took much time to try to create. Zebulon Pike did it perfectly. Check this out if you need to fill the void that Sleep isn't proggy enough, and Prog isn't slow enough.

Coming up next time.....The best EPs of 2011!
Old 12-10-2011, 02:22 PM
That Guy

Copme on, someone's gotta bitch about or enjoy one of these 9.