It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014
Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014
Samhain -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 19th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Banned Asshole

*sighs*

The whole calling everything electronic Dubstep thing around here is really gonna get on my nerves.... lol
Old 12-03-2011, 03:46 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventhzealot View Post
I loved this album but I still like 'Cosmogenesis' more though I have to say this is far more technical. It's going to be ranked pretty high in my list I'd think.
It's in my top 25 for sure. Just happened to be the first one to pop up on random.

I love Cosmogenesis, It's the first album that I bought from Obscura, but Omnivium captures my interest even more.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:49 PM
...So let the children come to me, their mother loves me so shall they...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
It's in my top 25 for sure. Just happened to be the first one to pop up on random.

I love Cosmogenesis, It's the first album that I bought from Obscura, but Omnivium captures my interest even more.
Same. Cosmogenesis was the first album I listened to from them and maybe that raised the bar of expectations too high for me. Nevertheless this is a very good album.

Don't you think the bass was more prominent in Cosmogenesis than Omnivium though? It'll be interesting to see how their next album goes with Linus on bass after the departure of JPT.
A Broken Team
No Word Said
A Silent Vow
We Loved You Then
We Love You Now
Old 12-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
3.) Children Of Bodom- Relentless Reckless Forever

Another band that has been going downhill for a very long time. I played this album once before I never touched it again. I even left during their their headlining set in July....to be fair I was hanging out with Devin Townsend during their set. but my point still stands. My guitarist said it best. 'The new COB is an album so that Alexi and Co. can be drunk on stage and still play." I couldn't agree more.
I thought "Shovel Knockout" and "Was It Worth It?" were catchy, but the rest of the album blows. I wasn't expecting much though, as Alexi has said many times that he doesn't really care about the old stuff and will never write anything like it again.

Last edited by treghet; 12-03-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:55 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Quote:

54.) ICS Vortex- Storm Seeker

The greatest singer in Black Metal....that doesn't sing in the style of Black Metal. His clean vocals are unstoppable in Black Metal, and proving on his solo album, Storm Rider, he is proggy as all hell, with a very Devin Townsend sense of humor to him. This very epic sounding album combines the best of what ICS Vortex is known for. I honestly wouldn't mind if he quit Black Metal all together and just made these style albums. Its so damn good.
Absolutely love this album!!!!!!! It definitely made my year end list. One of the best and most distinctive voices in metal.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:58 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandWazoo40 View Post
*sighs*

The whole calling everything electronic Dubstep thing around here is really gonna get on my nerves.... lol
Oooooh our first disagreement.

Trust me man, as a guy who works at a radio station with the head guy, who constantly gives me shit for not liking all the different styles of Electronic music. I know the difference between Electronic Music, Dubstep, Drum and Bass, Chill, Electronica, remix, and all the different jive.

But there is dubstep in the new Morbid Angel album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventhzealot View Post
Same. Cosmogenesis was the first album I listened to from them and maybe that raised the bar of expectations too high for me. Nevertheless this is a very good album.

Don't you think the bass was more prominent in Cosmogenesis than Omnivium though? It'll be interesting to see how their next album goes with Linus on bass after the departure of JPT.
Having only seen Linus with Obscura, In a live setting Linus is one of the loudest guys on stage. with good reason. Cosmogenesis was definitely more of a bass driven album. Omnivium was more of a band focused album. I think that might be why i dig it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
I thought "Shovel Knockout" was a good song, but the rest of the album blows. I wasn't expecting much though, as Alexi has said many times that he doesn't really care about the old stuff and will never write anything like it again.

It's like I said in the review, it sounds like he wrote it so he can be shitfaced on stage and still play right. I'll still keep checking COB out, but I have no hopes left in the band. Maybe Alexi will get his head out of his ass and realize the music comes first on the next album?
Old 12-03-2011, 04:00 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
Absolutely love this album!!!!!!! It definitely made my year end list. One of the best and most distinctive voices in metal.

Same here man. Top 30 album for me, if not higher up on the list.

ICS Vortex is one of my favorite singers of all time.I think in Black Metal he is soooooo underused in the bands he's in. This album proves how badass he makes ever band he's apart of.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:01 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandWazoo40 View Post
*sighs*

Man, I don't understand you. It's great to like stuff other than metal. We're all open-minded here. But pretty much your first post here established that you don't even like metal that much anymore. Why join here, then?

Nevertheless, I agree with your complaint. The new Morbid Angel album isn't even remotely dubstep.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:12 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
Man, I don't understand you. It's great to like stuff other than metal. We're all open-minded here. But pretty much your first post here established that you don't even like metal that much anymore. Why join here, then?

Nevertheless, I agree with your complaint. The new Morbid Angel album isn't even remotely dubstep.
I take it you didn't hear the remixes yet?
Old 12-03-2011, 04:15 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
I take it you didn't hear the remixes yet?
No, but you weren't talking about the remixes.