Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014
Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-04-2005, 09:56 PM
EvilCheeseWedge's Avatar
EvilCheeseWedge EvilCheeseWedge is offline
The Cheese
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,528
Thumbs down Judas Priest -- Detroit MI -- June 4th, 2005

TOUR: Judas Priest - Reunited
SUPPORT: Queensryche
VENUE: DTE -- Detroit, MI
DATE: June 4, 2005
REVIEWED: June 5, 2005

Well I'm back early then expected from last night's Priest concert...

We left plenty early for the show and made great time most of the way there. Until we got within about 5 miles of the show and traffic on I-75 ground to a halt. I was unaware of the fact they were moving the three lane road down to one. Needless to say, it took about half an hour to make it the last few miles. We sat down during the second half of "NM 156" having heard most of "Neue Regel" as we were walking in. I was really disappointed we missed a few songs, but life goes on.

I know I come off as the Queensryche fan boy here, and it's weird that happens. I've been listening to Priest longer then Queensryche, and I honestly don't have a bias to either bands, just check my last year's Ozzfest review for proof of that. But besides that point, I know most people on here have had a very different experience with Queensryche then I have, and I'm not sure why that is.

We saw Queensryche for 50 minutes, and during that time, they put on a fantastic show. No doubt about it. Just song into song, with some friendly banter in between. The crowd was into it, and so was the band. They looked happy to be there, and the playing was very tight. I was afraid to hear songs like "Walk in the Shadows" because they came off so bad on 2001's Live Evolution, but they were all stellar last night. My only complaint is that Mike Stone doesn't handle some of the DeGarmo solos very well. Overall, Queensryche put on a great set. Absolutely no frills. No backdrop, lights, nothin', just them and their music. It was a huge let down to see them get off stage so quick. Their set, at least from “Neue Regel” on was the same as other shows.

As far as the new song, it was a bit spotty. The mix was kind of poor during it, so I couldn't understand a lot of the words. There was some very cool guitar work during it though, and it was nice and heavy. I'm going to have to withhold judgment until I can hear it on an album though. It seemed very out of place in their set.

Before launching into the two Tribe songs of the night (which were, again, fantastic) Tate spoke for about a minute about how great the freedoms are we have as Americans. This was met with much grumbling and some “fuck off’s”. I consider most of my political views conservative, and I know Queensryche is quite typically liberal, but to just scuff at them for celebrating our freedom as Americans is ridiculous. It was a real downer to hear the crowd do that.

Judas Priest came on at 9:00 PM sharp. They opened with a particularly slow rendition of "Electric Eye". Halford didn't move an inch until the solo, and that was only to head over to another platform (he started about every song by rising up on the platform). In fact, most of the band didn't move at all. Not until "Metal Gods", when Halford does that ridiculous walk. The band was playing really sluggish and did not seem to be into it one bit. About half way through "Riding on the Wind" I was ready to leave. Halford still hadn't freaking moved. He looked like he was ready to be done the minute they started.

Hey, I know you guys are old, but I still pay money to see you actually give a concert you care about. If I've ever seen "phoning it in" it was done by Priest tonight. It was absolutely pathetic. In fact, it was downright embarrassing. They were mostly playing songs they played less then a year ago at Ozzfest anyways, what's so hard about them? They literally moved around the stage about as much as any given rock at Stonehenge has moved in its entire span of existence. And they looked absolutely ridiculous. There must have been enough leather on stage to upholster several cars.

I'm sorry, but I can with honesty say that tonight's Priest concert was the worst concert I have ever experienced. And I say this as someone who really enjoyed their show at Ozzfest last summer. We left after a mere 27 minutes, while Priest were busy making "Revolution" suck more live then it did in the studio (yeah, Halford had to sing this one like an octave lower. Just ridiculous, it's not even that high to begin with. It sounded terrible.)

I know I'll get bashed for what I'm saying about Priest, but it's the truth. From the Teleprompters, to the lack of movement, to the sluggish songs, it was just terrible. I especially liked how during "Judas Rising" Rob stood there motionless… as his screams were tracked through the PA. The only thing lamer then that was the ridiculous random-word fest that the lyrics to that song are.

These guys either need to retire, or give me a god damn refund.

On a more positive note, their acoustic rendition of “Worth Fighting For” we heard on the radio on the way to the show was pretty damn good. Too bad that would be the best thing they did, and we hadn’t even made it out of the car yet.
__________________
12/7 - Jon Oliva
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-04-2005, 10:03 PM
SomewhereInTime72's Avatar
SomewhereInTime72 SomewhereInTime72 is offline
HEY! LISTEN!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BKLYN NY
Posts: 12,968


WHY??????????????????????????

I feel so sad. This is the only bad thing I've heard about priest. I hope its not bad when I see them.

On a brighter note, I will try extra hard to hear I'm American.
__________________
"So yeah, monkey prostitution has happened."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-04-2005, 10:06 PM
EvilCheeseWedge's Avatar
EvilCheeseWedge EvilCheeseWedge is offline
The Cheese
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72


WHY??????????????????????????

I feel so sad. This is the only bad thing I've heard about priest. I hope its not bad when I see them.

On a brighter note, I will try extra hard to hear I'm American.
I don't know. I'm being honest. I was with a friend, he went to Ozzfest too, enjoyed Priest just like me. He was just as ready to leave as me. Yeah, I know it's the only bad thing you've heard. I think people are in denial. I actually heard people talking about how much better Halford is now. Yeah, whatever.

Don't try too hard though, it's not that great
__________________
12/7 - Jon Oliva
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-04-2005, 10:34 PM
MetalDrummer888's Avatar
MetalDrummer888 MetalDrummer888 is offline
Blunts.
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 4,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge
I don't know. I'm being honest. I was with a friend, he went to Ozzfest too, enjoyed Priest just like me. He was just as ready to leave as me. Yeah, I know it's the only bad thing you've heard. I think people are in denial. I actually heard people talking about how much better Halford is now. Yeah, whatever.

Don't try too hard though, it's not that great
they better shape up b4 they hit SF
__________________
"I only got the sunny hours, the brightest hours of day
I never count the gloomy hours, I let them slip away"
-Long Beach Dub Allstars
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-04-2005, 11:10 PM
powerslave_85's Avatar
powerslave_85 powerslave_85 is offline
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 10,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge
And they looked absolutely ridiculous. There must have been enough leather on stage to upholster several cars.
__________________
"COLONEL KLINK, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?!"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-04-2005, 11:11 PM
HECHO EN MEXICO's Avatar
HECHO EN MEXICO HECHO EN MEXICO is offline
FUCK BUSH! VIVA HUGO CHAVEZ!
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: LAKE FOREST, C.A.
Posts: 8,179
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85
SHUT THE FUCK UP EMO BOY!
__________________
I AM A ....

MUSIC FANATIC/SOCIALIST//BEER DRINKER
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-04-2005, 11:15 PM
powerslave_85's Avatar
powerslave_85 powerslave_85 is offline
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 10,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by HECHO EN MEXICO
SHUT THE FUCK UP EMO BOY!
What? He's the one who made fun of your beloved Priest, not me.
__________________
"COLONEL KLINK, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?!"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-04-2005, 11:20 PM
HECHO EN MEXICO's Avatar
HECHO EN MEXICO HECHO EN MEXICO is offline
FUCK BUSH! VIVA HUGO CHAVEZ!
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: LAKE FOREST, C.A.
Posts: 8,179
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge
TOUR: Judas Priest - Reunited
SUPPORT: Queensryche
VENUE: DTE -- Detroit, MI
DATE: June 4, 2005
REVIEWED: June 5, 2005

Well I'm back early then expected from last night's Priest concert...

We left plenty early for the show and made great time most of the way there. Until we got within about 5 miles of the show and traffic on I-75 ground to a halt. I was unaware of the fact they were moving the three lane road down to one. Needless to say, it took about half an hour to make it the last few miles. We sat down during the second half of "NM 156" having heard most of "Neue Regel" as we were walking in. I was really disappointed we missed a few songs, but life goes on.

I know I come off as the Queensryche fan boy here, and it's weird that happens. I've been listening to Priest longer then Queensryche, and I honestly don't have a bias to either bands, just check my last year's Ozzfest review for proof of that. But besides that point, I know most people on here have had a very different experience with Queensryche then I have, and I'm not sure why that is.

We saw Queensryche for 50 minutes, and during that time, they put on a fantastic show. No doubt about it. Just song into song, with some friendly banter in between. The crowd was into it, and so was the band. They looked happy to be there, and the playing was very tight. I was afraid to hear songs like "Walk in the Shadows" because they came off so bad on 2001's Live Evolution, but they were all stellar last night. My only complaint is that Mike Stone doesn't handle some of the DeGarmo solos very well. Overall, Queensryche put on a great set. Absolutely no frills. No backdrop, lights, nothin', just them and their music. It was a huge let down to see them get off stage so quick. Their set, at least from “Neue Regel” on was the same as other shows.

As far as the new song, it was a bit spotty. The mix was kind of poor during it, so I couldn't understand a lot of the words. There was some very cool guitar work during it though, and it was nice and heavy. I'm going to have to withhold judgment until I can hear it on an album though. It seemed very out of place in their set.

Before launching into the two Tribe songs of the night (which were, again, fantastic) Tate spoke for about a minute about how great the freedoms are we have as Americans. This was met with much grumbling and some “fuck off’s”. I consider most of my political views conservative, and I know Queensryche is quite typically liberal, but to just scuff at them for celebrating our freedom as Americans is ridiculous. It was a real downer to hear the crowd do that.

Judas Priest came on at 9:00 PM sharp. They opened with a particularly slow rendition of "Electric Eye". Halford didn't move an inch until the solo, and that was only to head over to another platform (he started about every song by rising up on the platform). In fact, most of the band didn't move at all. Not until "Metal Gods", when Halford does that ridiculous walk. The band was playing really sluggish and did not seem to be into it one bit. About half way through "Riding on the Wind" I was ready to leave. Halford still hadn't freaking moved. He looked like he was ready to be done the minute they started.

Hey, I know you guys are old, but I still pay money to see you actually give a concert you care about. If I've ever seen "phoning it in" it was done by Priest tonight. It was absolutely pathetic. In fact, it was downright embarrassing. They were mostly playing songs they played less then a year ago at Ozzfest anyways, what's so hard about them? They literally moved around the stage about as much as any given rock at Stonehenge has moved in its entire span of existence. And they looked absolutely ridiculous. There must have been enough leather on stage to upholster several cars.

I'm sorry, but I can with honesty say that tonight's Priest concert was the worst concert I have ever experienced. And I say this as someone who really enjoyed their show at Ozzfest last summer. We left after a mere 27 minutes, while Priest were busy making "Revolution" suck more live then it did in the studio (yeah, Halford had to sing this one like an octave lower. Just ridiculous, it's not even that high to begin with. It sounded terrible.)

I know I'll get bashed for what I'm saying about Priest, but it's the truth. From the Teleprompters, to the lack of movement, to the sluggish songs, it was just terrible. I especially liked how during "Judas Rising" Rob stood there motionless… as his screams were tracked through the PA. The only thing lamer then that was the ridiculous random-word fest that the lyrics to that song are.

These guys either need to retire, or give me a god damn refund.

On a more positive note, their acoustic rendition of “Worth Fighting For” we heard on the radio on the way to the show was pretty damn good. Too bad that would be the best thing they did, and we hadn’t even made it out of the car yet.
FIRST OF ALL IM SORRY TO HEAR THAT YOU DID NOT HAVE A GOOD TIME (AND THAT PRIEST HAD A OFF NIGHT)

..HALFORD HAS IS IN BETTER SHAPE THAN LAST YEAR (I HAVE SOME 2005 PRIEST BOOTS TO PROVE IT!)

MAIDEN, SABBATH, METALLICA, DIO ALL HAVE OFF NIGHTS!
SO DONT START BASHING PRIEST!

"his screams were tracked through the PA" - EvilCheeseWedge

THE INTRO TO JUDAS IS RISING IS THROUGH THE PA BUT THATS IT!
(from the bootleg dvd's i have)

PRIEST HAD A OFF NIGHT, STOP BITCHING ABOUT IT!
__________________
I AM A ....

MUSIC FANATIC/SOCIALIST//BEER DRINKER
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-04-2005, 11:29 PM
EvilCheeseWedge's Avatar
EvilCheeseWedge EvilCheeseWedge is offline
The Cheese
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by HECHO EN MEXICO
FIRST OF ALL IM SORRY TO HEAR THAT YOU DID NOT HAVE A GOOD TIME (AND THAT PRIEST HAD A OFF NIGHT)

..HALFORD HAS IS IN BETTER SHAPE THAN LAST YEAR (I HAVE SOME 2005 PRIEST BOOTS TO PROVE IT!)

MAIDEN, SABBATH, METALLICA, DIO ALL HAVE OFF NIGHTS!
SO DONT START BASHING PRIEST!

"his screams were tracked through the PA" - EvilCheeseWedge

THE INTRO TO JUDAS IS RISING IS THROUGH THE PA BUT THATS IT!
(from the bootleg dvd's i have)

PRIEST HAD A OFF NIGHT, STOP BITCHING ABOUT IT!
Thanks, Hecho.

Well, they didn't have a great night tonight. I know bands have off nights, but that's not my problem. I frankly don't pay them to have off nights.

Yeah, I know it's just the intro. But if you're not even gonna sing it, why bother? It just looked dumb to see him standing there motionless as you can hear his screams through the PA.

Stop bitching? You wanna give me the $50 + I wasted on the concert back?
__________________
12/7 - Jon Oliva
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-04-2005, 11:32 PM
EvilCheeseWedge's Avatar
EvilCheeseWedge EvilCheeseWedge is offline
The Cheese
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85
I wonder how many cows had to die to outfit those guys.
__________________
12/7 - Jon Oliva
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
judas priest

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:01 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008