Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014
Styx -- Peachtree City, GA -- September 27th, 2014

Old 12-13-2011, 06:44 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

New Anthrax is my favorite from them since SOWN. Quite frankly it kicks a heinous amount of ass. I had low expectations because it'd been 8 years and they changed singers like crazy but, I was so happy to be utterly wrong.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:50 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
The new Anthrax is my fourth favorite album from them. POT, STD and ATL will always be the top three though. Worship Music just edges out SOWN and WCFYA and I like both of those a lot to.

Dream Theater's new one is in my top five of the year. In fact i'm wondering how it got ranked so low on your list and i'm interested in seeing the other albums you got over it. The album is easily their best work since Six Degrees.
19th out of about 90 albums is definitely not low. Everything in the top 20-25 I consider a great record, some are just greater than others. I strongly believe it's the best (if not best, definitely most consistent) record in over a decade, but this was a tough year. I absolutely love every album in my top 12-15.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:18 AM
In Search of Truth

#18: Journey - Eclipse

I'm sure someone will take issue with this - every time I voice my defense and support for the current lineup of the band, I get shit from someone for it. Maybe it's because I'm young and I didn't experience the band with Steve Perry first-hand, but I don't care. I think Arnel Pineda is the perfect frontman for the band, and regardless of all the other politics or whatever, I think this band is outstanding, and despite of their huge success, they remain underrated for their true musical brilliance. Outstanding songs, outstanding playing. Neal Schon is easily one of my favorite guitarists, bar none - and he truly shines throughout this album.

Featured Track: "Resonate"
Old 12-14-2011, 07:21 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
#18: Journey - Eclipse
I'm just surprised it's not higher.

13/10 The Skull
29/10 Saint Vitus
6/11 Gilby Clarke
Old 12-14-2011, 07:26 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I'm just surprised it's not higher.
Is that your way of saying you actually think it's good, or that you're surprised I might not be as big of a fanboy as you thought?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:41 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Is that your way of saying you actually think it's good, or that you're surprised I might not be as big of a fanboy as you thought?
The latter

13/10 The Skull
29/10 Saint Vitus
6/11 Gilby Clarke
Old 12-15-2011, 07:21 AM
In Search of Truth

#17:
Flaming Row - Elinoire

I checked this out on a whim, all my Prog-snob friends had been really jerking off over this, and I never expected to buy into the hype... but honestly I have to say it's pretty fantastic. For a first project by some random guy from Germany, he's sure roped in a huge list of guests and been able to make an incredibly potent Progressive Rock/Metal concept record, sure to appeal to any Ayreon fan. Just as with Ayreon, something about it doesn't perfectly click with me at all times, but there are some truly outstanding things about this record. Covering a very broad musical scope, from vocal-harmony laden mellow acoustic stuff to thrashier riffs with harsh vocals, it's a musical rollercoaster of emotions. The album is a bit long, filling an entire disc, so it's a chore to sit through in one listen, but it can be very, very rewarding when you do.
Featured Track: "Unearth the Truth"
Old 12-16-2011, 06:36 AM
In Search of Truth

#16:
Lost in Thought - Opus Arise

Lost in Thought are a new Progressive Metal band from the UK, with Opus Arise being their debut album. Upon first checking this out, the first two songs didn't exactly grab me, so I actually turned it off and listened to something else instead. Eventually, about a week later, I saw their song "Blood Red Diamond" was on the BraveWords website player, so I said screw it and played it, and I was blown away. The song has since become one of my favorite songs from the year, and inspired me to go back and give the album a fair shot. The first two tracks are still, oddly, not highlights, but they've grown on me a lot and this is a damn impressive and consistent debut album. I hope these guys stick around. Stylistically I would say it reminds me of a cross between Vanden Plas and Myrath.
Featured Track: "Blood Red Diamond"
Old 12-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

I hadn't heard new Journey, I quite like it. Good featured track, the rest of the album is pretty good too.

I totally agree about the Lost In Thought album, it's a killer record (although how the first track didn't stick out to you immediately is beyond me, it's easily my favorite one).
Old 12-17-2011, 06:58 AM
In Search of Truth

#15: Theocracy - As the World Bleeds

Theocracy started as a one-man project by vocalist Matt Smith nearly a decade ago, unleashing a completely singularly recorded self-titled debut in 2003. In 2008, with a proper band backing him, Smith and Co. unleashed "Mirror of Souls", which was a highlight of that year for me. But now in 2011, I feel the band is finally coming into their own as a completely legit band. For those who don't know (or can't tell by the name), Theocracy are a Christian Metal band, which means in order for my Agnostic self to even listen to them, I have to think they're music is great. This really isn't much different of an album that Mirror of Souls was, just better. The absence of one overly long epic keeps the pace flowing nicely from song to song. All in all just a great listen. The lyrics get a tad preachy, but for the most part nothing I can't stomach.

Featured Track: "30 Pieces of Silver"