Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014
Battlecross -- Westland, MI -- December 20th, 2014
Sadistic Intent -- Downey, CA -- December 21st, 2013
Thy Art Is Murder -- Sydney, Australia -- December 19th, 2014
Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014

  #41  
Old 12-09-2011, 05:40 PM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
#23:
Charred Walls of the Damned - Cold Winds on Timeless Days


CWotD's debut album showed some promise, but ultimately didn't exactly blow my mind. I felt like if they corrected a few things about it, they would have a great project - and I have to say that most of those things have been fixed. The songs here seem a bit more well-composed and memorable than the majority of what's on their self-titled debut. The style is still basically tech-death with Tim Owens singing instead of having harsh vocals. Outstanding playing, and some really strong and surprisingly melodic songs. My biggest complaint is that the album just feels too long - it should have been 10 tracks instead of 12.
Featured Track: "Zero Span"
The first couple of tracks I heard from this, I really thought they'd solved most of the problems the first album had. Then I listened to the rest of it, and realised they hadn't. It still sounds like Tim's recorded vocals for different songs to the ones the band is playing.
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Dextrimental's Avatar
Dextrimental Dextrimental is offline
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
It still sounds like Tim's recorded vocals for different songs to the ones the band is playing.
I was trying to work out what irked me about that record, and that's exactly it.
__________________
Yesterday don't mean SHIT.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Yeah I missed that show due to that night being a big party night of some sort. Halloween maybe? I remember being out and thinking how much more fun i'd be having seeing Saxon for the 1st time in 15 or so years.
It was only Oct. 15th so it probably wasn't Halloween related. It was an awesome night. Final night of the tour, my friends and I basically got to hang out with the band after the show, I did a shot with Paul Quinn. Quite awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,931
#22:
Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance


Those who love the voice of John Arch from his tenure with Fates Warning back in the early/mid 80's were given a teaser of a return back in 2003 with his EP "A Twist of Fate". Arch is back now with a full album, featuring the entire current lineup of Fates Warning (minus Ray Alder, of course) behind him. As a result, the musicianship is absolutely top-notch, not question about it. The production also shines, and the songs (only 6, but 3 are over 10 minutes) are very strong as well. The only thing that stops me from loving this so much more is that I just am not a huge fan of John Arch's voice. I never have been, and that probably won't ever change. If Alder had sung on this as a Fates Warning record, it would probably be in the top 10 or 15. Nevertheless, it's still a great record.
Featured track: "Midnight Serenade" (Official Video)
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-10-2011, 11:21 AM
maidenpriest's Avatar
maidenpriest maidenpriest is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
#22:
Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance


Those who love the voice of John Arch from his tenure with Fates Warning back in the early/mid 80's were given a teaser of a return back in 2003 with his EP "A Twist of Fate". Arch is back now with a full album, featuring the entire current lineup of Fates Warning (minus Ray Alder, of course) behind him. As a result, the musicianship is absolutely top-notch, not question about it. The production also shines, and the songs (only 6, but 3 are over 10 minutes) are very strong as well. The only thing that stops me from loving this so much more is that I just am not a huge fan of John Arch's voice. I never have been, and that probably won't ever change. If Alder had sung on this as a Fates Warning record, it would probably be in the top 10 or 15. Nevertheless, it's still a great record.
Featured track: "Midnight Serenade" (Official Video)
Love this album. Neurotically Wired and Stained Glass Sky are definitely major highlights for me. I agree that if Alder would've sang this album it would've been much better but I like Arch as well so this was a good album.
__________________
12/9- Opeth/In Flames
5/2/14 - Nightwish
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-10-2011, 04:35 PM
jhdeity's Avatar
jhdeity jhdeity is offline
Headbanger
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pasadena, MD
Posts: 3,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
It was only Oct. 15th so it probably wasn't Halloween related. It was an awesome night. Final night of the tour, my friends and I basically got to hang out with the band after the show, I did a shot with Paul Quinn. Quite awesome.
Ah, it was my buddy's bachelor party. I was 15 min away at Scores and after an hour I was wishing I was at the show. I did set up the coolest 4-girl mosh pit lap dance ever that night. After that I got bored though.

Listened to teh whole cd. I gotta give Saxon credit. After writing them off asfter that Apple cover album Innocence? (name escapes me) they have really put out some incredible music.
__________________
1/28 - Machine Head
3/3 - Hell Yeah
3/31 - Coal Chamber & Filter
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-10-2011, 04:40 PM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,123
I'm glad to see Arch/Matheos ranked so high!
__________________
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
http://www.thatdrummerguy.com
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Ah, it was my buddy's bachelor party. I was 15 min away at Scores and after an hour I was wishing I was at the show. I did set up the coolest 4-girl mosh pit lap dance ever that night. After that I got bored though.

Listened to teh whole cd. I gotta give Saxon credit. After writing them off asfter that Apple cover album Innocence? (name escapes me) they have really put out some incredible music.
Yeah, their first 5 records are classic metal at its finest but starting with Crusader in '84 they went downhill. Starting in '97 though (Unleash the Beast album) they really came into their second prime. Every record since has been at least solid with a few great tracks - honestly 2004's Lionheart is my favorite Saxon disc, period.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-10-2011, 07:29 PM
jhdeity's Avatar
jhdeity jhdeity is offline
Headbanger
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pasadena, MD
Posts: 3,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Yeah, their first 5 records are classic metal at its finest but starting with Crusader in '84 they went downhill. Starting in '97 though (Unleash the Beast album) they really came into their second prime. Every record since has been at least solid with a few great tracks - honestly 2004's Lionheart is my favorite Saxon disc, period.
Yeah Crusader was the last one I kinda liked. It took a while to grow on me and I only liked a few songs. Power & the Glory on the other hand I liked start to finish.

Thanks for reminding me about Lionheart. I went and picked it up but never had a chance to listen to it.
__________________
1/28 - Machine Head
3/3 - Hell Yeah
3/31 - Coal Chamber & Filter
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-10-2011, 08:04 PM
SomewhereInTime72's Avatar
SomewhereInTime72 SomewhereInTime72 is offline
HEY! LISTEN!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BKLYN NY
Posts: 12,968
Huh, I didn't even know about this one. Definitely seems like I gotta check it out though.
__________________
"So yeah, monkey prostitution has happened."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008