Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Kansas City, MO -- December 16th, 2014
System Of A Down -- Inglewood, CA -- December 13th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Montreal, Quebec -- December 13th, 2014
Nonpoint -- Flint, MI -- December 13th, 2014

Old 12-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Sounds like Queensryche and the singer kinda reminds me of Tobias Sammet. I won't comment on the quality, but I also don't think it sounds like Maiden. Although the way you worded the description I'm not sure if you even meant that they sounded like Maiden, or that they were just obviously an influence.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-20-2011, 09:11 AM
In Search of Truth

#12: Epysode - Obsessions

Epysode are a project founded by guitarist Samuel Arkan of relatively unknown band Virus IV, and Obsessions is an insanely good concept album featuring a suspenseful, interesting story, some outstanding Progressive Metal songs, and a fantastic cast of singers. The most prominent vocalist is Kelly "Sundown" Carpenter (Beyond Twilight, Outworld), who gives an absolutely stellar performance throughout the album. Also featured are Magali Luyten (Beautiful Sin, Ayreon), Oddleif Stensland (Communic), Rick Altzi (Thunderstone, At Vance), and Lisolette Hegt (Dial, Ayreon). There's a slew of guest musicians which form a pretty impressive band. This is an album that truly grows on me with each listen, but what I think impresses me most is how all 5 singers blend together to create one very interesting combination. Each song is not simply sung by one singer, or even two singers in most cases, but the vocalists actually share the spotlight, interweaving with eachother, something most other concept albums with multiple singers sadly don't accomplish. Bottom line is that if you love Progressive Metal, this is a must-hear album.

Featured Track: "Obsessions"
Old 12-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
#12: Epysode - Obsessions
Correct.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 12-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
You'll have to excuse PowerMaiden, he's so incredibly close-minded and puts Maiden on such a ridiculous pedestal that he's incapable of recognizing that anything he doesn't like MIGHT have drawn influence from Maiden.

And yes, I asked for comments - from people who have something interesting to say. The ONLY thing you ever post about anything I post (unless it's actually about Maiden) is bitching that what I like sucks and that you don't understand how 1) Anyone listens to it, and 2) How it's influenced by Maiden.
Woah, woah, woah. Back the tinted vision truck up. Did Maiden33 just accuse someone else of having a shallow range of taste?!

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 12-20-2011, 06:41 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Woah, woah, woah. Back the tinted vision truck up. Did Maiden33 just accuse someone else of having a shallow range of taste?!
There's a pretty god damn huge difference between:

1) Only actively listening to 4 or 5 metal subgenres, and happening to like bands within them that you consider generic/derivative.

and

2) Listening to a total of about a dozen bands, and placing one in particular on such a ridiculous fanboy pedestal like he does with Maiden.

I know you (and others here) have such an issue with the fact that I really only build my lists on Progressive, Power, and Traditional metal with hints of AOR and other things, but that's too god damn bad. It does not mean that I am musically closed-minded. I listen to a LOT of different stuff, a good deal of it not metal in the least - but I just choose to build my lists based on what I listen to the most in a given year, which, yes - happens to be this sort of stuff, largely because most of the non-metal stuff I enjoy is older stuff from previous year, or in most cases, decades. I'm NOT a professional music critic, I'm not required to live up to some sort of standard of how much of X vs. how much of Y I listen to.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:43 PM
That Guy

Quote:

1) Only actively listening to 4 or 5 metal subgenres, and happening to like bands within them that you consider generic/derivative.

and

2) Listening to a total of about a dozen bands, and placing one in particular on such a ridiculous fanboy pedestal like he does with Maiden.

I know you (and others here) have such an issue with the fact that I really only build my lists on Progressive, Power, and Traditional metal with hints of AOR and other things, but that's too god damn bad. It does not mean that I am musically closed-minded. I listen to a LOT of different stuff, a good deal of it not metal in the least - but I just choose to build my lists based on what I listen to the most in a given year, which, yes - happens to be this sort of stuff, largely because most of the non-metal stuff I enjoy is older stuff from previous year, or in most cases, decades. I'm NOT a professional music critic, I'm not required to live up to some sort of standard of how much of X vs. how much of Y I listen to.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:50 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:

and

I am, it's a hassle. I just want to listen to hipster black metal all day.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:23 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I am, it's a hassle. I just want to listen to hipster black metal all day.
Hey! I vowed to keep this thread completely clean of that term and the entire debate over it, and up til know I've been keeping that promise!
Old 12-20-2011, 10:39 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Well that was an unnecessary dose of mud-slinging in this thread. Epysode are pretty good for a style of prog I don't usually enjoy. May pick up that record at some point.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:11 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Featured Track: "Obsessions"
Well hot damn, this song is pretty awesome. Very Ayreon like... I kind of hate the band name, but that's really a minor issue, heh.