Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Face The Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
Most disappointing albums of the year!

First one...

Machine Head - Unto the Locust

The Blackening was a fucking masterpiece. It was groove metal with epic melodies (GREAT clean vocals) and thrash riffs. I was surprised I liked it so much.

But their new album doesn't really live up its predecessor, sadly. Pretty much the same style but for the most part the songs are mediocre. A couple songs here and there still have that Blackening charm (I Am Hell, mostly) and some that make me shiver every time I hear them (Locust, Who We Are). They actually do take some risks here, and some of them pay off (the clean vocal chorus of This Is The End), but most of them (like that goddamned child choir in Who We Are) don't really work at all.

I suppose I'll give it another listen now and see if I still feel the same way, though.
Not a huge fan but...I thought Unto The Locust was their best work yet...
Old 12-16-2011, 02:28 PM
N00B

Quote:
Most disappointing albums of the year!

First one...

Machine Head - Unto the Locust

The Blackening was a fucking masterpiece. It was groove metal with epic melodies (GREAT clean vocals) and thrash riffs. I was surprised I liked it so much.

But their new album doesn't really live up its predecessor, sadly. Pretty much the same style but for the most part the songs are mediocre. A couple songs here and there still have that Blackening charm (I Am Hell, mostly) and some that make me shiver every time I hear them (Locust, Who We Are). They actually do take some risks here, and some of them pay off (the clean vocal chorus of This Is The End), but most of them (like that goddamned child choir in Who We Are) don't really work at all.

I suppose I'll give it another listen now and see if I still feel the same way, though.
I loved the album tbh. It's their second best, right before The Blackening. Actually, I like listening to this more than The Blackening now a days. I think people we're expecting too much. I expected more Machine Head and that's what I got I don't like the child coir much, but I think people are over exaggerating.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
UPDATE: Not nearly as bad as I remembered. I still think "Locust" is one of the worst songs I've ever heard, though (and they picked it as a single ). "Who We Are" isn't even a bad song per se (aside from that goddamned child choir ), I just CANNOT get into the style of clean vocals he uses here. That being said, there are actually some great tracks on here. Still not as good as The Blackening, though, but like I said, that'd be quite a feat!

To be honest, I'd probably put this up for Top 25 consideration now Sometimes two months between listens is all it takes.
It's Top 5 for me and would probably be Top 3 or #1 is it wasn't for that child choir. Some people don't mind it and i'll admit that song itself is decent but that was idiotic to include that the way they did. I'd rather head dubstep over whiny ass kids anyday.

Be Still and Know and Darkness Within are my 2 favorites right now. Both took a while to grow on me but they did and I can't get enough of them now. The lyrics to Darkness Within are f'n awesome and fit the music perfectly.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:41 PM
N00B

Quote:
UPDATE: Not nearly as bad as I remembered. I still think "Locust" is one of the worst songs I've ever heard, though (and they picked it as a single ). "Who We Are" isn't even a bad song per se (aside from that goddamned child choir ), I just CANNOT get into the style of clean vocals he uses here. That being said, there are actually some great tracks on here. Still not as good as The Blackening, though, but like I said, that'd be quite a feat!

To be honest, I'd probably put this up for Top 25 consideration now Sometimes two months between listens is all it takes.

Locust is cool!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:55 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterguy49 View Post

Locust is cool!
Honestly, other than Lulu, it's the worst thing I've heard this year. I don't know what it is, but Robb Flynn pisses me off like no other. Dude's just gotta stop singing.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:38 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterguy49 View Post
I loved the album tbh. It's their second best, right before The Blackening. Actually, I like listening to this more than The Blackening now a days. I think people we're expecting too much. I expected more Machine Head and that's what I got I don't like the child coir much, but I think people are over exaggerating.
+1, you precisely nailed my thoughts on this album.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Vektor - Outer Isolation

Really, guys, I think Outer Isolation is a brilliant record and the Vektor guys are just as consistent as ever. But I held Black Future in such high regard that I wasn't surprised that this kinda disappointed me in that aspect. There's also the concern of whether re-recording songs from two albums ago, which I've brought up here before, but to be honest that's kind of a moot point.
>upset Outer Isolation has 2 re-recorded songs
>Black Future had 2 re-recorded songs as well

09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch
Old 12-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
>upset Outer Isolation has 2 re-recorded songs
>Black Future had 2 re-recorded songs as well

Outer Isolation has 3. You should know these things, you're their biggest fan!
Old 12-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

They played here but I wasn't too keen on what I heard online so I skipped em
09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch
Old 12-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Razormaze is a band I really want to see live. I don't listen to them much because I can't get into the vocals, but I have the feeling that they would just destroy everything live. Also, they'd probably play with Lich King, who is also awesome
10/17 - Satan
10/18 - King Diamond