Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Altars of Radness

I wasn't familiar with them at the time, and I wasn't even expecting much from them, but they blew me away at that show. Still, Rotting Christ was easily my favorite. "King of A Stellar War" =
Old 12-10-2011, 08:05 AM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Amen, brother. Melechesh fucking tore it up on that tour.
01.27 Dark Tranquillity
Old 12-10-2011, 10:28 PM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Cro-Mags

Date seen: October 8th, 2011

Saw these hardcore legends at the final free Scion sponsored show of the year in October. Scion delivers, no doubt about it. This was, and probably is forever hands down the most violent show I have been to, ever. Cro-Mags of course are going to bring in the old school hardcore fans, so things can get messy. And they did. If they were playing a fast part/song, the place was a giant circle pit, and probably the most fun circle pit I've ever been in! But when they slowed it down, you'd immediately have people just throwing down and limbs EVERYWHERE. And I'm not talking scrawny fringe scene kid two-step garbage, I mean guys who may or may not have been doing this kind of stuff since it first started. It was too intense. Needless to say, Cro-Mags were awesome. All the classics they played were spot on, and like Magrudergrind, they encouraged everyone to go nuts and stage dive during the last few songs. I actually saw this guy who is a good friend of one of my good friends go up and sing the chorus for Hard Times! He must have been the happiest guy in the world after that! But Cro-Mags put on a hell of a show and I'm really hoping they come back sometime.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:23 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

That show was something else, man. Shit's real when the guys in the pit have face tats.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:51 AM

Buckethead

Date seen: July 31st, 2011

At first when I found out that Buckethead was coming to Chicago I did want to go but later on forgot about it. As the show was approaching my friend brought it up and I figured that I had nothing else to do so I decided to go at the last second. I probably should've prepared myself because my mind got blown that night. Buckethead has to be the most talented person I have ever seen. Playing for about an hour and 45 minutes just by himself, Buckethead just tore it up on stage. He first started off playing songs from all around his gigantic discography for 45 minutes straight through, took a break where he did some killer nun-chuck moves, robot dancing, a bass solo and then back to the guitar for the remainder of the set. Hot damn it was just non stop craziness! My jaw was dropped whenever I saw him do the 4 finger tapping with his right hand... HOW THE FUCK. This guy is a monster on the guitar and just very talented altogether. I will definitely have to see him again the next time he comes back.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:01 AM

Grave

Date seen: September 9th, 2011

Maybe I'm biased because I love Swedish death metal so much... or that Grave is so high on here because they fucking OWNED this year! After over 20 years, they (well, the frontman, at least) still got it in them! Everything you'd hear on album, take that and multiply the intensity, speed and brutality by 100,000 and you get Grave live. Oh, and if that's not good enough, they also played their first album, Into The Grave, from beginning to end! All I can say is One of my favorite live bands ever right now. My friend had seen them in Hellfest this past year and told me not to miss this show. I wasn't planning on it, I mean, it's fucking Grave but I underestimated how good they were going to be live.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:20 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post

Cathedral

Date seen: May 26th, 2011 (Maryland Deathfest)

My friends and I had gotten to Maryland at about 5 PM if I remember correctly. It was a 13 hour drive, we barely slept and of course, we were all exhausted as hell. Yet we still managed to check out a couple bands after we got settled at the hotel. A couple hours later, we decided, fuck it, we're gonna nap for a couple hours. I managed to sleep through my alarm but luckily my friend's went off and he woke me up so we could see Cathedral, who were on at midnight. Me, him and my other friend managed to be awake and go, while the other 2 with us couldn't wake up. Sucks for them, because they missed out big time. After a hilarious encounter with some people on the way from the hotel to the venue, we witnessed a legendary doom metal band's last ever performance in the United States. And let me tell you, it was a hell of a way to go out. They played material from all over their discography, but naturally, the best song by far in that set was Ebony Tears. GOD FUCKING DAMN that had to be one of the heaviest songs I have ever seen and heard live. You'd think that with the drive just hours before and the minimal sleep I'd be falling asleep for their set... HELL NO! These guys were so good that I managed to be awake the entire time. About 10 hours of sleep followed their epic set and their departure from the U.S. forever. It really sucks that they're breaking up but they went out with a bang, for sure.
Too fucking right. 'Ebony Tears' is certainly heavy live, but nothing compares to the live versions of 'Enter The Worms' and especially 'Commiserating The Celebration'. Devastating.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 12-12-2011, 09:48 AM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:

Grave

Date seen: September 9th, 2011

Maybe I'm biased because I love Swedish death metal so much... or that Grave is so high on here because they fucking OWNED this year! After over 20 years, they (well, the frontman, at least) still got it in them! Everything you'd hear on album, take that and multiply the intensity, speed and brutality by 100,000 and you get Grave live. Oh, and if that's not good enough, they also played their first album, Into The Grave, from beginning to end! All I can say is One of my favorite live bands ever right now. My friend had seen them in Hellfest this past year and told me not to miss this show. I wasn't planning on it, I mean, it's fucking Grave but I underestimated how good they were going to be live.
Damn, I DID NOT see this coming. I thought Grave was great live but not super epic-blew my brain cells away MIND BLOWING like the way you described it. Great show none the less.

How was the crowed capacity at your show? Christopher, Treghet, and myself attended one of Graves shows during their stop here back in September. Those two might tell you differently but I thought the show was pretty fuckin' empty, I think less than 50 people were there(at least in the front where all the pit action is, hell if i had to say the front then it was less than 40, hell 30!). I wouldn't be able to estimate overall how many people showed up but me and my friend were in the very front of the stage near the left side leaning on the stage rocking out with the 4 members, and everytime i turned around to check out the scenery and see what everyone was doing it just seemed like one big empty room with a guy standing here or there, or maybe two people leaning by the wall there and here. It was so empty that My friend was trying to start a moshpit(with like 2 other people)and he almost ended up getting into a fight a with some asshole who had nothing to do with the pit, he just jumped in pushed my friend, giving him the "hey stop what your doing" signal. It was getting pretty ugly but then luckily a faithfull metalhead who didn't even know neither of them came into to stop what would have been a pretty ugly site. But yeah that should give you an idea of how the show was.

Glad you enjoyed grave, and I totally agree with you on one thing. They tore through "Into the grave" like it was nothing. Song after song after song after song. I think we only got one encore though? or two?
11/14 - Slayer
Old 12-12-2011, 09:54 AM

The venue was about half full, so about 150 people there? It wasn't super empty like you described when you saw them (which I'm sorry for, anyone who missed this tour missed out bad). And there was a fight at the show too over some stupid shit, looked like it got pretty bad though.

And yeah we got one encore because the show was running late. Sucks but they still killed.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

Quote:

Buckethead

Date seen: July 31st, 2011

At first when I found out that Buckethead was coming to Chicago I did want to go but later on forgot about it. As the show was approaching my friend brought it up and I figured that I had nothing else to do so I decided to go at the last second. I probably should've prepared myself because my mind got blown that night. Buckethead has to be the most talented person I have ever seen. Playing for about an hour and 45 minutes just by himself, Buckethead just tore it up on stage. He first started off playing songs from all around his gigantic discography for 45 minutes straight through, took a break where he did some killer nun-chuck moves, robot dancing, a bass solo and then back to the guitar for the remainder of the set. Hot damn it was just non stop craziness! My jaw was dropped whenever I saw him do the 4 finger tapping with his right hand... HOW THE FUCK. This guy is a monster on the guitar and just very talented altogether. I will definitely have to see him again the next time he comes back.
Nice! I saw him back in 2008 and even though I was a rabid fan back then, I still wasn't prepared for what I would witness that night. Buckethead played for about 3 hours that night . Only bad thing I can say about the show was I got no bass solo