Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014

Old 12-07-2011, 09:21 AM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura69 View Post
I know, seriously? D.R.I. tour here ALL THE FUCKING time. They have played like a total of 20 shows in the last 10 months, and all 20 of these shows were either near me by like 10 minutes or a close to an hour drive. They just played like 3 months ago at the chain reaction which is right next to my place.

I feel like kicking myself in the ass for missing them so much especially with how many times they fucking come through here in California to play. Most of that is due to me being stuck at work 90% of the time, But this time no more buts or ifs...I WILL indeed go see them on the 17th of this month. The venue is about 45 minutes away from me but I don't mind the drive. DRI is one of my favorite bands and I feel like kicking myself for missing out on their gigs everytime they roll through here...and they have probably rolled through here atleast 20 times in the last 8 months. I wish I went to the Chain reaction gig a couple months back because they allow Stage Diving.
Yeah they're playing a venue in March where they allow stage diving as well, I'm definitely gonna be there for that show! They're also playing a bar where I saw Macabre this year but it was a last second addition and I got work.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:34 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post

Magrudergrind

Date seen: April 9th, 2011

Saw these guys at another Scion sponsored free show in April with Mind Eraser and Noisear. As you can guess, Magrudergrind stole the show with their crazy antics and music. As everyone knows, they only play 15 minute sets, which is what they did as usual. But those 15 minutes were just nuts. A lot of people were just going full out crazy for them. I remember this one guy had 666 and an inverted cross written on his chest in marker and he was doing bear walks and frog leaps and shit the entire show! It was more funny than annoying since he wasn't really bothering anyone physically. But, my favorite part of Magrudergrind's set was at the end when the singer told everyone to stage dive. Now, as you have probably heard, Reggie's does not allow stage diving at all. Seeing like 40 people getting on stage and jumping off with only a few security guards there was a sight to never be forgotten! It's safe to say that Reggie's got owned that day

Definitely in my top 10 for this year.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:14 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post

Sepultura

Date seen: May 19th, 2011
Good lord, Paulo looks old!
Old 12-07-2011, 04:04 PM

Desaster

Date seen: June 4th, 2011

At first I decided I wasn't gonna go to see them. But it turned out I didn't have work, had the money, and realized that this is one of 2 shows they were playing in the U.S. So I figured I'd go. Damn, it was worth going for sure! If you don't know, Desaster plays black/thrash metal, I see a lot of emphasis on the black metal side when listening to them but live they're just brutal and heavy, like you'd find in thrash. Combine those two together, and you've got an incredible live band. These guys were just amazing live! I honestly did not expect them to be this good! It sucks that they dropped MDF next year so I'm very glad I got to see them when I did. Hopefully they'll be back in the U.S. sometime after then.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:11 PM

Hail of Bullets

Date seen: May 28th, 2011 (Maryland Deathfest)

Another one of my favorites at MDF this year. It seems that no matter what Martin van Drunen does, it always ends up being awesome! I was really excited to hear that Hail of Bullets was playing MDF because they aren't a touring band at all. I was told by their drummer that they all have full time jobs and have to take time off to play festivals only. And even then, all the members have other bands they are part of that they devote more time to, so seeing these guys was a privilege. If I could describe them in one word live, it'd be CRUSHING. Hot damn, seeing songs like General Winter and On Coral Shores live were just So fucking heavy. All the members looked so happy to be playing for us, which of course influenced their performance for the better! Also, getting to meet Martin van Drunen and Ed Warby is like a dream come true. Martin is one of my favorite death metal vocalists ever and Ed drummed on one of my favorite albums ever (Ayreon's The Human Equation). I knew from the beginning that Hail of Bullets were gonna destroy live, and even then my expectations were exceeded!
Old 12-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

^ Now you're finally fucking talking some sense.

Seriously, though - I saw them at MDF as well a few years ago, and they fucking slayed.

EDIT: Actually, I missed that you had Absu and Neurosis on your list earlier, as well as Kylesa, Trap Them and Landmine Marathon in the beginning. Above not-really-serious-anyway comment retracted.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-07-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:44 AM

Skinless

Date seen: May 29th, 2011 (Maryland Deathfest)

Arguably the best band of the last day of the festival, and one of the best of the entire festival. After Skinless announced that they were breaking up, they decided to play this fest as their last ever show to go out with a bang. And that they did! Reunited with the original lineup (not the one in the picture, that's just the one I came across) these four guys just owned it on stage. My neck was incredibly sore after they were done because they were so brutal live. Their singer can really get the crowd going, what with interacting with the crowd and jumping into the crowd multiple times as well as having people fighting on stage with foam swords. Add that to their awesome live sound and you've got an insane performance! This was perfect for their last show and I'm glad I actually did get to see them before they disbanded.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:07 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

If they performed with Jason Keyser, then no shit it's gonna be amazing!

Jealous of Hail of Bullets, Desaster, and Magrudergrind I'm sure I'll see Magruder one of these days though
Old 12-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Bands from your list so far I saw this year:

Kylesa: Great, seeing them again twice this month!
Sepultura: Fucking great.
D.R.I.: Didn't like them much, left halfway through their set.

Really jealous of a lot of these, especially Neurosis, Ghoul and Magrudergrind. Also interesting to note that if I made a list like this one, a lot would be from GMM, the same way a lot of yours are from MDF. Festivals for the win!
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 12-08-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
If they performed with Jason Keyser, then no shit it's gonna be amazing!

Jealous of Hail of Bullets, Desaster, and Magrudergrind I'm sure I'll see Magruder one of these days though
It was actually with their Sherwood Webber, who is just as good of a vocalist live really. Jason's awesome but Sherwood was great too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal_descent View Post
Bands from your list so far I saw this year:

Kylesa: Great, seeing them again twice this month!
Sepultura: Fucking great.
D.R.I.: Didn't like them much, left halfway through their set.

Really jealous of a lot of these, especially Neurosis, Ghoul and Magrudergrind. Also interesting to note that if I made a list like this one, a lot would be from GMM, the same way a lot of yours are from MDF. Festivals for the win!
Yeah when I make another list of bands for next year I already know that at least half of the bands I see at MDF will be on there!