Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-12-2011, 02:27 PM
...the dead are among us!

Great write ups. I saw 13 of the bands on your list so far this year as well.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:07 PM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Exhorder

Date seen: May 28th, 2011 (Maryland Deathfest)

As you can tell from my site icon and my favorite thrash metal albums thread (if you read it), Exhorder are one of my favorite bands ever. I was anticipating seeing them live like no other as the months were building up to the 3rd day of MDF. I believe it was March, it was announced that their bassist, who had also played on their second album The Law had passed away. Luckily Exhorder didn't cancel any shows, including MDF, so that was good to hear and very nice of them, but it still made me skeptical... My thoughts were basically were: "We have a band, who has been inactive for over a decade, the members are much older and past their prime, bassist recently passed away, only played a few shows prior to MDF since reuniting... They might not be as good as I expect them to be..."

Well spank my ass and call me Charlie, I was fucking WRONG.

These guys tore it up like no fucking other. Hands down the best band of the 3rd day of the fest. You'd think their singer would've been struggling with vocals? Nope!!! He sounded so much better than their albums, and that's saying a lot seeing how much I love Slaughter in the Vatican. The new bassist and drummer were amazing, both of them are beasts. What's funny is that none of the members of the band look like metalheads at all, yet they play some of the sickest stuff to ever come out in the history of metal, even 20 years later! They had amazing sound, could still play fast as hell, and all the overall stage presence was just astounding. Needless to say, I was devastated when I found out that they broke up 2 months ago. I'm incredibly grateful to have seen them live. Slaughter in the Vatican will always be one of my favorite thrash albums of all time, Exhorder will always be one of my favorite bands ever and one of the best live bands I've seen in my life.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:34 AM

Agalloch

Date seen: March 27th, 2011

That night when I saw Agalloch for the first time wasn't just a show, it was an experience which was totally different from any other night I would be going to a show. Everything just seemed... different. I don't know how to describe it. Everything about it was out of the ordinary from any other show though. I'd usually leave for a show around 5 or 6, but I left at 8 to head to the venue since it was a later show. When I got inside, the atmosphere just felt different. The venue was packed (sold out show) yet the atmosphere... totally weird. I guess because they had incense candles on each side of the stage, a big Agalloch back drop behind the stage and props on stage. When Agalloch came on it was just mystifying yet incredible. Their set was damn near perfect. Hearing Our Fortress is Burning II: Bloodbirds, Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires (before this one the frontman explained how he gets the inspiration for the music, which was actually really interesting), and In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion was just mind blowing. What was more mind blowing was everyone singing along, "RED BIRDS ESCAPE FROM MY WOUNDS AND RETURN AS FALLING SNOW" when they played Falling Snow. Holy shit, it was a thrilling yet relaxing performance. And they couldn't have came at a more perfect time. It was still cold in Chicago even at the end of March so it fit in. I really can't wait to see them again at MDF next year.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 AM
N00B

That makes me so excited to see them!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterguy49 View Post
That makes me so excited to see them!
Well it'll be different since at MDF they're not headlining, plus it's gonna be hot as balls outside. But at least they're playing inside.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:08 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
Well it'll be different since at MDF they're not headlining, plus it's gonna be hot as balls outside. But at least they're playing inside.
That's true, but I'm sure they should get a good set, hell just seeing them play their music would make it awesome for me.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterguy49 View Post
That's true, but I'm sure they should get a good set, hell just seeing them play their music would make it awesome for me.
Yeah I'm sure it'll still be awesome. Hopefully I can get front row for them following into Autopsy! From what everyone is saying in various places, a lot of people are not gonna be watching Agalloch so hopefully that makes it easier for me.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:15 AM
N00B

Quote:
Yeah I'm sure it'll still be awesome. Hopefully I can get front row for them following into Autopsy! From what everyone is saying in various places, a lot of people are not gonna be watching Agalloch so hopefully that makes it easier for me.
Why they be hatin' on Agalloch!?
Oh well, that would make it easier to be up front. I'm gonna try to be on rail for them and Autopsy as well
Old 12-13-2011, 11:20 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:

Agalloch

Date seen: March 27th, 2011

That night when I saw Agalloch for the first time wasn't just a show, it was an experience which was totally different from any other night I would be going to a show. Everything just seemed... different. I don't know how to describe it. Everything about it was out of the ordinary from any other show though. I'd usually leave for a show around 5 or 6, but I left at 8 to head to the venue since it was a later show. When I got inside, the atmosphere just felt different. The venue was packed (sold out show) yet the atmosphere... totally weird. I guess because they had incense candles on each side of the stage, a big Agalloch back drop behind the stage and props on stage. When Agalloch came on it was just mystifying yet incredible. Their set was damn near perfect. Hearing Our Fortress is Burning II: Bloodbirds, Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires (before this one the frontman explained how he gets the inspiration for the music, which was actually really interesting), and In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion was just mind blowing. What was more mind blowing was everyone singing along, "RED BIRDS ESCAPE FROM MY WOUNDS AND RETURN AS FALLING SNOW" when they played Falling Snow. Holy shit, it was a thrilling yet relaxing performance. And they couldn't have came at a more perfect time. It was still cold in Chicago even at the end of March so it fit in. I really can't wait to see them again at MDF next year.
;_____;

I didn't start listening to them until the day after this show. Now they're in like, my top 5 bands. I would murder a thousand small children and drink the urine of ten thousand old women to get the chance to hear In The Shadow of Our Pale Companion live. I'll just have to wait, y'know, another like 5 years until I can see them again.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:25 AM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
I would murder a thousand small children and drink the urine of ten thousand old women to get the chance to hear In The Shadow of Our Pale Companion live.
That's some pretty deep shit, my friend.
11/14 - Slayer