Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Giving me so much work at the beginning of next year.
Why? You don't have to go into everybody's individual year-end thread to look for voting results. They'll post them where they're supposed to post them or they won't be counted. Are you complaining that there might be slightly more votes to count in the one thread that you have to check? Will your spreadsheet have a few extra columns or rows to it this year? Oh, you poor dear.

I hereby rescind my vote for Manks as a new mod. He's lazy and he bitches a lot.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
He's lazy and he bitches a lot.
This is not news to me.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 12-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I hereby rescind my vote for Manks as a new mod. He's lazy and he bitches a lot.
We should weigh this in terms of the value of the best alternative that is foregone.

Cons:
1. he's lazy and bitches a lot
2. he's a sarcastic asshole
3. he does the annoying internet thingy (too unprofessional to be a mod)

Pros:
1. all threads about or pertaining to deathcore would be deleted, and his banning of deathcore fans would be merciless

I changed my mind. Mankvill for mod.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:15 PM

King Slender, I'm glad you're digging that album. "Fjara" has 22 plays in my itunes

#15 Sey Hollo - Growth

Sey Hollo is a project by Sebastian Larsson from Sweden. He's mainly a pianist, and this project was basically founded because he was frustrated with the lack of piano music out there, so he decided to start writing it himself. His being very interested in hard rock/metal is apparent, but he's said his influences come from a variety of genres, which isn't hard to believe when listening to his music. He's created his own unique style of post-rock.

Growth is one of the EP's mentioned in the Moonlit Sailor review. Despite having less qualitative material than Colors in Stereo, it does more with less. I said in someone else's thread not too long ago that a smaller amount of excellent material is better than a larger amount of "okay" material, and I really do hold to that. Quality > quantity. I know a Moonlit Sailor fan would think me an imbecile, but what Sey Hollo accomplishes in the last 23 minutes of this album does more for me than anything Moonlit Sailor could ever do throughout the course of a 40+ minute album. This is just more my brand of post-rock. I find it much more emotional. The tracks are longer. There are build-ups. Songs evolve from fundamental melodies to elaborate compositions. When I think of excellent post-rock, this is the type of material I think of. Also, there's something really genuine about one man projects. And it's not because it's one person playing all the instruments, but because all the music, all the songwriting, all the thoughts, all the ideas, etc. are coming from one mind. There's no conflicting; it's the manifestation of one individual's self in musical form. Pure, uncontested creativity. Sebastian Larsson said “my song writing always starts with a message or an idea that I want to share. The music then builds itself up around this theme. Therefore, the music is just a tool, a small part of a greater process. This tool should be shared. That is why my music is (and always will be) free for all to download.”
Given this, go here: http://seyhollo.bandcamp.com/album/growth. Listen to it.
That remark about the beginning of the songwriting process being an idea or a message is evident in "Growth." And in the last minute of the song we learn what the idea was (ghost of capitalism). "Growth" is one of the best songs of 2011.
HIGHLIGHTS: "World Trade Center," "Growth," "Vita Si Chakila"

#14 Mournful Congregation - The Book of Kings

I take issue with claims that these guys are the gods of funeral doom. And this isn't their best release. The Monad of Creation and The June Frost were both better, to be honest. And after listening to this and going back and listening to their back catalogue, including material from splits, I suppose I just miss not dreading listening to what lays before me. I don't like listening to mediocre material to get to the good stuff. The Book of Kings is so long. Clocking in at an hour and sixteen minutes, it's the longest album they've released by about sixteen minutes. And that sixteen minutes makes a huge difference. The material here is still solid. With The June Frost we saw the band craft more concise compositions. With this album, they've returned to the "Monad of Creation" format - long, drawn out compositions, and fewer tracks. And as you'd expect, certain segments of these massive tracks stand out and really make the album. 14:50 minutes into "The Catechism of Depression," a riff appears that immediately grabs your attention, and from that point to the end of the song (the song eventually fades out with this riff) marks one of the highlights of the album. If 75-90% of the album was as memorable as the end of this track, you'd see the The Book of Kings in my top 5. Another highlight comes at 9:13 in "The Waterless Streams" (which as a whole is one of the better of the four songs). I also love the soloing that starts after the 6:00 mark, then especially around 6:45. Yes, the last half of "The Waterless Stream" is excellent. "The Bitter Veils of Solemnity" is mostly acoustic and is the 'easy listening' track on the album. As a general principle, all of these songs end better than they begin.

"Vast," "universal," "baroque," and "sinister" were some words Mournful Congregation used to describe the album just before it came out. If I could add one word to that, it'd be "apocalyptic." If by some chance the world actually ends in 2012, and the apocalypse becomes a reality, this monolithic behemoth of an album might get my vote for its soundtrack.
HIGHLIGHTS: "The Catechism of Depression," "The Book of Kings"

#13 Ordog - Remorse

In Hungarian mythology, Ördög is a demonic creature that personifies the dark and evil aspects of the world, much like what Satan personifies in the Christian world. And that's definitely what Ordog (the band) tries to personify with their music. Ordog's biggest influence is life itself, as insignificant as it is. Their lead singer said "my biggest influences are my own dark and twisted mind, and memories full of distress and misfortune." I think its safe to say misanthropy plays a critical role in this band's songwriting process, and is an integral part of their music.

This is Ordog's third release. Crow and the Storm in 2006, and Life is too Short for Learning to Live in 2008 are its two predecessors, but I've heard neither of them. This is by far their longest release to date; at one hour and nine minutes in length, it beats their next longest release by twenty-three minutes.

This record is only placed right in front of Mournful Congregation's because I feel it's a better album as a whole. There are a few select parts of The Book of Kings that'll just knock you dead, but there was also a lot of "meh" on it as well. This record, while still containing a certain amount of "meh" (as almost any doom record will), is chock-full of deep riffs and rich atmosphere. Many more minutes of material I'll be listening to over and over in the future on this record. It would certainly be out of place to call this symphonic doom, but there are keyboards and pianos present. Keyboards appear on "Shadowland" and "Boneyard Horizon" (which have two of the most memorable keyboard parts), not to play any prominent melody or anything, but to just put a floor on the atmosphere. A memorable piano part is played on "Betrayed," throughout the last half of the song. These things are never the sole focus of attention, or even the primary focus of attention, but they add a really nice, uncommon, layer to Ordog's doom. Contrasted with the slow, heavy riffing, it makes for some really emotional doom in a really unusual way.
HIGHLIGHTS: "Human Shell," Betrayed," "Shadowland," "Boneyard Horizon," of which the latter three are the (undisputed) best tracks on the album.
I realize I've been highlighting, in some cases, the majority of songs on these albums which kind of defeats the purpose of highlighting. I just wouldn't feel right not crediting the awesome tracks, even if they're in the majority.

#12 Summer Fades Away - Unkind time, Beautiful Memory

I'm going to quote DethMaiden, since I could't possibly recapitulate the point any better: "Post-rock is one of the non-metal genres that most readily appeals to metal audiences. Its penchant for atmosphere and intensity without employing riffs or (usually) vocals sort of casts it as metal’s intellectual, artsy brother – still interested in crushing skulls, but with musings on Kierkegaardian despair rather than combat boots." Now, while that may appear more relevant to This Will Destroy You's release, I think it's relevant here as well, because Summer Fades Away crushes its audience too, just in a totally different way. Recall in the Moonlit Sailor blurb I cast Colors in Stereo as a rarity because of its happiness and pop-esque upbeatness. Think me vain but I've always thought darker post-rock, which is certainly more abundant, is more powerful than the upbeat kind. Unkind Time, Beautiful Memory is crushing because it's tone is so devastatingly, yet realistically, dismal and melancholic, and maybe even misanthropistic. It personifies the passing of time in a way that just seems so real and inevitable and depressing. Unlike the #1 release of the year, this record focuses solely on this concept. The result is an EP more powerful than most all full-lengths of 2011.
Dynamic formulas, powerful aggression, guitar and piano ambiance, melodic themes, all lean towards (I know it sounds redundant at this point, but it's just the truth) incredible potential for this young band.

It's only thirty-one minutes in length, but an incredible thirty-one minutes it is. The first track, "Thank You," slowly builds for the first four and a half minutes or so until it really kicks in around the 5:00 mark. Then it gets soft again, then explodes at 7:33. The songwriting here is really, really, really impressive. "Forgiveness" is a short piano-led interlude between the two massive tracks. "A Pavilion" is the EP's crowning achievement. When you think it's going to end, it just keeps going. Truly a must listen for any grand style post-rock fan.
HIGHLIGHTS: "Thank You," "Forgiveness," "A Pavillion"

#11 Saturnalia Temple - Aion of Drakon

"I do not claim to make good music. I do claim to make occult or dark magical music, much of it owing to the fact that this is my everyday dedication, just like some people watch TV every day (And if you're Gene Simmons there may be great songs also in that...). Someone who is not into occultism or magical initiation at all could still possibly capture something of that nature, but then it would be coincidental, or aimed for entertainment. Nothing wrong with that. But I'm not trying to entertain an audience. To say that an audience is necessary for an artist is to me only true if you're coming from a superficial perspective where you only create to reach out to people and to gain something in return. If one has an occult, magical initiatory attitude, music, once created takes on an immanent nature and is in itself a great reward." --Tommy Eriksson, Saturnalia Temple

Aion of Drakon is yet another debut. So many freshman releases have been incredible this year. Even if the releases themselves were't enough, we can approach the coming years with hope. Because if anything, this year's been a year of hope. And I don't think anything is more encouraging than that.
And just like most every band that has released a debut, Saturnalia Temple just came onto my radar this year. They emerged from the darkness and just impressed the hell out of me. Saturnalia Temple is another occultist band. They immediately remind you of Electric Wizard. Next they remind you of Black Sabbath. Now take those two influences and mix it with 70's psychedelic rock and you have an incredibly unique brand of stoner-doom. The riffs are fairly simple and they're played over and over and over and over but they burn themselves into your mind. The drug-induced vocalist (which has to be the case… if he's not on drugs I'd be even more impressed), who sounds surprisingly similar to Geddy Lee at times, is just incredible; the vocals complete the hypnotic/psychedelic/druggy sound of this album. At times it sounds like it's in slow-motion. Other times, like in "Fall," around the 4:19 mark, you get a decently fast guitar solo that's just mind-numbingly effective. Saturnalia Temple takes a very free attitude towards songs. The music doesn't depend on technicality or dynamics or song structures, but rather heavy textured guitar sounds and atmosphere. "God is Two" and "Sitra Ahra Ruled Solitary Before the Creation" were inspired by the Qliphotic Qabalah (embodiment of evil in Jewish Mysticism). There's some serious thought and knowledge behind the music here, which just makes it all the better. When asked in an interview: "of all the written (and musical) knowledge from the past that has been lost, how much of it can be rediscovered? Can modern discoveries on the creation of the universe, scientific or otherwise, be reconciled with the old creation stories? How can we look into the Devil’s Eye again?," Saturnalia Temple responds "it is quite intriguing that the oldest creation story, the Indian, begins with a universal sound AUM (OM), and String Theory also talks about a sound vibration in creation. In Sanskrit this AUM is the sound of Creation, the sound of Destruction is HA. Quite suitable also in view of modern western language. Ha!"
I would love to discuss further what this awesome band has to say about their music, and how they approach making it, but I'll just end by saying this is THE stoner doom/occultist album of the year. It's a total mesmerizer.
HIGHLIGHTS: "Black Magic Metal," "Aion of Drakon," "Ancient Sorceries"

Last edited by illuminatus917; 08-14-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Saturnalia Temple is awesome, glad to see someone else liking them. Great list up til now man, can't wait for the top ten.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:19 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb420 View Post
Saturnalia Temple is awesome, glad to see someone else liking them. Great list up til now man, can't wait for the top ten.
Seconded.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:49 PM
We're dying on the inside

P.S. thanks for quoting me.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Buahahahahaha

Saturnalia Temple and Summer Fades Away were both awesome! I'm disappointed I missed out on 'em earlier in the year, because both would've ranked high my list.
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 12-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Well shit.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb420 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Seconded.
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
Well shit.
Is that a "well shit this isn't what I was expecting" or a "well shit I haven't heard this stuff" ?