ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-16-2011, 09:42 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post

#32 Sólstafir - Svartir Sandar

After I first heard this it immediately broke my top 15. And there's no way I'd argue against someone having it that high. But as happens so often, my tendency to overhype an album slowly subsides with time... and that's exactly what happened here. I realized I didn't like this album as much as I thought I did. Stylistically, Sólstafir isn't the same band that used to play viking black metal. They've gone in a completely different direction with their sound, and it's working for them. This album is brilliantly executed. Spanning two discs, it's quite a lot to take in, and while I feel it might've actually been stronger with a few songs omitted, this album should be recognized as a cohesively well-constructed body of work. Ranging from solemn, melancholic tunes to uptempo, aggressive, dark gothic metal tunes, Svartir Sandar covers a broad spectrum of feeling. There's really something punk about this album as well, even though I can't put my finger on it (maybe the vocals remind me of punk?). Side I is better than side II overall. If the whole album was the quality of the first two tracks, it'd be a top 10 for sure with top 5 potential. Kudos to Sólstafir for trying something new and running with it.
HIGHLIGHTS: "Ljós í Stormi," "Fjara," "Kukl"
Listening to this for the 1st time as I type and I'm diggin' it so far.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

I've decided I'm going to start my thread when this one ends, just so I can offer some opinions on some of the last few albums that this good fellow here has that I might have missed.

You and I have collaborated fairly well throughout the year though, I'd be surprised if there were more than one or two left that aren't on my list.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

You might be surprised

I've been waiting for your thread to pop up. I was starting to think you might hold out on us this year, due to stress of college life and whatnot... glad to know that isn't the case. I'm still getting my shit together for the next post, but I'll have it up by tomorrow. I'd like to finish this thing ASAP.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
You might be surprised

I've been waiting for your thread to pop up. I was starting to think you might hold out on us this year, due to stress of college life and whatnot... glad to know that isn't the case. I'm still getting my shit together for the next post, but I'll have it up by tomorrow. I'd like to finish this thing ASAP.
It'd be too much of a disservice to this year's fantastic material to not have a thread .

I just really didn't want to participate in the apparent inundation of the first page with Best of Threads.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:14 AM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:

#21 Oranssi Pazuzu - Kosmonument

I'd never heard a psychedelic black metal album before this one. I can safely say this record was my introduction to a genre I didn't even know was a genre until I heard this album. After some reading I found that, at least according to most, most all psychedelic black metal albums have sounded horrible, and have been disastrous efforts attempting to breach genre borders to find new territory. This album is the one that actually accomplishes that.

Pushing the boundaries of a genre to create something different and purposefully weird isn't necessarily unique, just avant-garde. Crafting a sound all-together different from anything else out there, which can result in creating an entirely new genre... that's unique. At least that's how I look at it. This is the "uniquest" album of the year next to SORNE's House of Stone.

Some tracks here are very quiet (and instrumental), and unsettling. This whole album is unsettling, but the quieter tracks are the "freakiest" to me. These include "Luhistuva Aikahäkki," "Siirtorata 100 10100," "∞," and parts of "Andromeda." The vocals in "Andromeda" are just eerie. The more intense tracks range from weird to downright bizarre. I can't even explain the atmosphere this record captures... it's almost otherworldly. Black metal screams appear here and there. There's a fair share of tremolo picking and blastbeating (in "Uusi Olento Nousee" and "Loputon Tuntematon," especially). But a major component of the sound here is sludginess. The record is sludgier than it is black. There are a lot of noise/sound effects, too. Definitely approach this album with an open mind. It's not your run-of-the-mill black metal record.
HIGHLIGHTS: "Sienipilvi," "Komeetta," "Andromeda," "Kaaos Hallitsee"
GREAT RECORD

This is an outstanding release, that has such a unique sound, while never feeling gimmick ridden setting it above many BM releases this year.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:00 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
It'd be too much of a disservice to this year's fantastic material to not have a thread .

I just really didn't want to participate in the apparent inundation of the first page with Best of Threads.
This for me as well. I'll be getting mine started soon.

It should be finished by summertime.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

I really don't remember so many lists last year... maybe there were this many, but I don't remember it. It's ridiculous how many there are right now. I don't blame you guys for starting late. Come June it's probably safe to say Natrlhi will have a monopoly on end-of-year thread attention.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
I really don't remember so many lists last year... maybe there were this many, but I don't remember it. It's ridiculous how many there are right now. I don't blame you guys for starting late. Come June it's probably safe to say Natrlhi will have a monopoly on end-of-year thread attention.
No, there are DEFINITELY more year-end threads this year than I ever remember seeing, and I've been around for about four years now. It's getting so that the folks who have been here for a while but don't normally post them are actually feeling like they're missing out on something so they're posting lists of their own for the first time ever. Personally, I like it. It's a lot of stuff to weed through, but I'd rather see more than less, because you never know where some good stuff is gonna come from.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:30 AM

In the now 3 years that I've seen year end lists on here, this is by far the most. It's ridiculous. It's great bored reading.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
In the now 3 years that I've seen year end lists on here, this is by far the most. It's ridiculous. It's great bored reading.
Giving me so much work at the beginning of next year.
09/19 - BMTH
09/20 - Fuzz and Fire 2