Sebastian Bach -- London, England -- July 9th, 2014
Extreme -- London, England -- July 8th, 2014
Ash Borer -- Birmingham, AL -- July 6th, 2014
Cynic -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- July 6th, 2014
311 -- Sterling Heights, MI -- July 6th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 11-23-2011, 06:12 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

I am going to try and pick up a couple DVD's, but I'm not going until a holy hour when most of the psychos have gone home.
8/9 Summer Slaughter
9/28 Coheed

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 11-23-2011, 06:25 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Honestly, I hate all of the people going black friday shopping on Thanksgiving. Why? Because you're giving the companies all the more incentive to force their workers to work that night (or very early in the morning). Not only because you're helping them make a killing by being open, but you're basically negating the argument that "people shouldn't be working then - they should be spending the holiday at home with their families". I think I speak for everyone who works a retail job that this is getting fucking absurd.
Exactly. From 1999-2002 I worked at a KB Toys store in a local mall and black friday is complete insanity. I never got to enjoy my thanksgiving because I was doing nothing but thinking about how we open at 4 am and I need to get to bed at like 8 on thanksgiving night. I'm not even gonna get started on dealing with the customers and their compliants and their overall ignorance of how the reatail business works.

I'm glad I don't work in retail anymore because the whole black friday thing seems more out of control than ever before. Now I see that there are stores opening at midnight on friday which is fuckin rediculous. They're taking away the entire holiday from their workers now. There's no way you can enjoy the holiday properly if you've gotta be in to work at midnight that day. In fact you don't really have a holiday if your in that situation.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:52 AM
The time has come for all to see the men behind the curtain cast into disease

I'm working. And at Best Buy of all places. I have to be there at 11:30, Thanksgiving night, work from midnight to 8 AM, take a few hours off, and go back from 4-10 PM. Awesome.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Do you get paid time and a half or anything for working Black Friday?
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 11-23-2011, 08:22 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magson13 View Post
Employees are still able to spend time with their families. The stores don't open until that night, and Thanksgiving is generally a late-afternoon dinner shindig. So it's all wrapped up by the time they would have to go to work.
Unless people actually want to go into work with some energy, in which case most people I know who have to start work at 10pm or midnight need to take at least a few hours before it to take a nap - especially considering this is hardly "just another day of work". I don't know anyone who could do it while basically pulling an all-nighter. I've read stories all over the internet (and even from people I know personally) who are IRATE about this whole thing because it has completely fucked up their traditional plans for thanksgiving.

Also, I have to disagree with the "people should just be happy they have jobs" - that's the wrong mentality to have. Sure, having to work at 10 or midnight on thanksgiving is probably better than being unemployed - but that doesn't make it okay, and it doesn't mean that employers should be taking advantage of their employees under the ideology of "Fuck it - they should be happy they have jobs, we can do whatever we want to them".
Old 11-23-2011, 10:12 AM
The time has come for all to see the men behind the curtain cast into disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
Do you get paid time and a half or anything for working Black Friday?
I don't think so...
Old 11-23-2011, 11:20 AM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

All mall employees need to start boycotting the malls on thanksgiving and black friday. Just don't show up on those days. The store owners should close all the stores too. No ones holiday needs to be ruined so they can deal with the worlds greatest idiots.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

So it's just not politics that you're clueless about, huh?
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 11-23-2011, 11:47 AM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

You really should get overtime for black friday, at least the midnight/4am shit. I picked up a shift tonight and work friday night like I usually do.
But I'll probably be going to Walmart or some place with my friends at midnight just for shits.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:05 PM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
You really should get overtime for black friday, at least the midnight/4am shit. I picked up a shift tonight and work friday night like I usually do.
But I'll probably be going to Walmart or some place with my friends at midnight just for shits.
My friend who works at Target is working midnight to 8 AM that day and he's getting paid time and a half, so it is implemented in some places.

I'm not gonna be shopping on Black Friday. There's nothing I really want that I absolutely need at a discounted price, plus dealing with the savages going crazy for things is something I also don't want to deal with.