Slipknot -- El Paso, TX -- October 29th, 2014
Saint Vitus -- London, England -- October 29th, 2014
King Diamond -- Seattle, WA -- October 28th, 2014
King Diamond -- Salt Lake City, UT -- October 26th, 2014
Raven -- San Francisco, CA -- October 27th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 11-20-2011, 05:50 PM
In Search of Truth

UC Davis Protesters Pepper Sprayed -- Thoughts?

We usually don't have too many discussions about things like this on here, and I'm CERTAINLY not one to usually encourage these things, as many people have a habit of getting a little overzealous and personal with their responses, but I feel that this is something that needs to be discussed. I was just curious if anyone had any thoughts on the subject?

(Note: Thoughts OTHER than "HURRRRR THIS COUNTRY IS TURNING INTO A FASCIST STATE WITH NO RIGHT!!! HURRRRR 'MURICA")

For those who don't know what I'm talking about:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...dfN_story.html
Old 11-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Buahahahahaha

fuck da police
12/07 Pallbearer
12/12 Lil B 'The Based God'
12/19 Lil B 'The Based God'
Old 11-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Honestly: stupid fucking bullshit, I can't wait until this Occupy stuff reaches its breaking point and pretty much takes the next step to a revolution. I mean I know it's cheezy as hell to say it, but America is basically a giant police state.
11/01 - Carcass
11/02 - Four Year Strong
Old 11-20-2011, 06:40 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

I'm rather apathetic, to be honest.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Regretting my username

I don't like hippies, I think OWS is too fractured and annoying to make too much of a difference.

That being said: I'm pissed about the same stuff that they are pissed about. The rich in this country (or the big banks, if you will) really are getting away with murder. THAT being said, the police are not the enemies here. Young kids are pissed off, they rightly believe that the traditional political channels are unresponsive, so they are taking to the streets to make noise.

With THAT being said, the police ARE over-reacting. These raids, clearings-out, and spraying/beating of peaceful protesters is uncalled for and there needs to be a serious conversation in this country about police brutality. Sure, these individual police officers will get a slap on the wrist, paid leave, whatever...but that doesn't do anything to change the way police treat faceless crowds. I understand that facing a big angry group of people can be scary: many of them are angry at you as the face of "the man", a tiny number of them committing violent acts. But our police shouldn't be acting like thugs. The Civil Rights gained legitimacy in the 1960s when people saw peaceful protesters being beaten in the streets. I hope something similar happens here.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:15 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
These raids, clearings-out, and spraying/beating of peaceful protesters is uncalled for and there needs to be a serious conversation in this country about police brutality. Sure, these individual police officers will get a slap on the wrist, paid leave, whatever...but that doesn't do anything to change the way police treat faceless crowds. I understand that facing a big angry group of people can be scary: many of them are angry at you as the face of "the man", a tiny number of them committing violent acts. But our police shouldn't be acting like thugs. The Civil Rights gained legitimacy in the 1960s when people saw peaceful protesters being beaten in the streets. I hope something similar happens here.
Completely agreed with this. I've never, ever been one of those people who obligatorily hates cops or acts like they're the problem. I have friends who shit themselves if they are routinely pulled over. Me, I don't really care, because I generally have enough faith in the system that if you're innocent, you have no reason to worry, and so far it has never failed me. I get very annoyed at people who act like the police are the problem when THEY are the ones breaking the law, and are fully deserving of the punishment they accrue.
But this is a different issue. What happened here (and has happened elsewhere) is completely uncalled for. I tend to restrain from using the term "police brutality", because, as I've seen lately - using that term gets people into a shit-slinging match over "how bad we really have it compared to people in other countries" - as if that comparison somehow makes it alright. But there is a legitimate issue here, and it's scary. These students could've been any of us had we believed in the issue enough to protest.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Regretting my username

I sympathize with police. My grandpa was a cop, and I understand that wearing a badge inflates your ego and seeing a big mob is different than seeing individuals. The OWS people aren't organized so 1 person throwing a shoe at a cop gets the other 25 people around him sprayed.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Altars of Radness

Keep in mind that college campuses typically have a designated area to protest and I'm willing to bet that freedom does not extend to using a human chain to blockade a large sidewalk. Therefore, I have no sympathy for them in this case. Protesting is fine, but the police had every right to do what they did. There was no excessive force, they simply pepper sprayed the protesters because they were being defiant. How else are you supposed to get them to move? They're going to resist, so some sort of action must be taken.

With that being said I do feel change is needed, but this is not the way you go about trying to get it done.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:56 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
(Note: Thoughts OTHER than "HURRRRR THIS COUNTRY IS TURNING INTO A FASCIST STATE WITH NO RIGHT!!! HURRRRR 'MURICA")
I think that

Anyways if the protesters were not violent then they did not need to be pepper sprayed and the police who peppered sprayed the protesters need to be held responsible.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:58 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Honestly: stupid fucking bullshit, I can't wait until this Occupy stuff reaches its breaking point and pretty much takes the next step to a revolution. I mean I know it's cheezy as hell to say it, but America is basically a giant police state.
Either my sarcasm detector is off or we agree on something.