Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Mastodon -- Newcastle, England -- November 25th, 2014
Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 08-30-2014, 09:02 PM
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!

Arrow Maideneer's melodeath / blackened melodeath favorites...

Everyone's got their own thread so I'll join in the fun. How about some mostly 90's melodeath that you just plum forgot about or never knew? Swedish melodeath is like crack to me, just give me more, more and more, unless it's that low-grade crap that provides zero high.

Let's start with these, there are plenty to go through. Comment if you've heard of these, have these, love what you hear, or just to give me a big F.U.

Gates of Ishtar - A Bloodred Path (1996)

This band was only around for 6 years, but put out 3 quality albums. Before Spinefarm sold themselves to Universal and wimped out, they were right there with Nuclear Blast as the premier metal label, possibly even better.

Gates of Ishtar - The Dawn of Flames (1997)

How anybody could hear the first song and not be instantly hooked and mesmerized is beyond me.

Gates of Ishtar - At Dusk And Forever (1998)

Dawn - Slaughtersun (1998)

Ok, so I know this one isn't as forgotten about, it's still insanely never mentioned much here. It's the record Dissection should have put out after Light's Bane. It should take you 6 seconds to recognize what a behemoth of a record this is.

Eucharist - Mirrorworlds (1997)

How there's not the whole album uploaded on Youtube is beyond me, so here's the first track. Also listen to the soft instrumental "In Nakedness", it's stunning.

Gardenian - Soulburner (1999)

Miraculously, another full album not on Youtube, so here's a great track. It's essentially In Flames "Whoracle" part II. They also shared band members so it's not such a stretch.

Kalmah - Swamplord (2000)

Their first album is still their best. I'm sure a lot of you know them, but why do we never speak about them?

Prophanity - Stronger Than Steel (1998)

Not the full album again, but holy smokes, this track rips.

Myrkskog - Superior Massacre (2002)

These 2 records by this band are absolute destruction on CD.

Myrkskog - Deathmachine (1999)

No full album, just a clip.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:42 PM
with his arms outstretched

FUUUUUUUUCK

I haven't heard Gates of Ishtar since...probably 1997. My friend Evan was obsessed with that first album. We started a band and he was like "just learn to play that riff [twenty seconds in to Inanna]". We jammed it for a bit and the rest is history...I'm an electrican and he's a chef.

I liked that first song (Inanna) but once the vocals kicked in I didn't really like it. Here we are seventeen years later and I liked it. My tastes have changed. Evan was always light-years ahead of me with his likes. I even went to amazon.ca and added it to my wishlist...even though the listing has it at one hundred and twenty-two dollars.

Thanks for posting that. THAT brought back some memories.
03/07 -- Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 08-30-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:11 AM
Troo Methulfan

Discovering new music on dis website since 2008
Old 10-13-2014, 04:59 PM

Midvinter - At The Sight Of The Apocalypse Dragon (1997)

Figured it was time for a little update. This band only made one album, and it was produced by Andy LaRocque. No full album is on Youtube, so the standout song will do. Sounds like typical black metal fare, but this band from Sweden does incorporate other elements should you be able to hear the full album. First time I heard them was on those Metal Blade Deathmeister comps that used to be so awesome, I found so many bands that way.

Last edited by Maideneer; 10-14-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:51 PM
N00B

The only band i've heard of in that list is Kalmah. The only album of their's I had heard before opening this thread was The Black Waltz when a friend of mine in university gave me a copy. I remember liking it, but found it very same-y after awhile. Nothing really stood out and for some reason didn't dig further into their discography. Then I lost my copy of the album on my laptop and forgot about 'em.

That debut album you posted sounds pretty good, albeit only 2 songs in so far. I may just have to become re-acquianted with them. And by that I mean i'll pirate their discography at some point.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:11 PM

Tartaros - The Grand Psychotic Castle (1997)

adamclark, this one is for you. Nothing to do with Melodeath right now, this is one of my favorite "berserk/weirdo/chaotic" records ever so I'm taking a little detour. This is Mr. Bungle on black metal steroids. I found an awesome review of this record some years ago and it has never left me...

Quote:
Production: Clear and textured with the grit of a blasting metal session, yet not obtrusive and nicely integrated to the flow of sound.

Review: Black metal's wicked melodrama found adherents worldwide in the gothic tradition of narrative melodrama as vital forces enact upon one another the combinations of their fate, only to plunge further into the blindness of existence and death. One could say Tartaros is that agency also in its creation of dream music, where the narrative winds through insane tunnels of logic and finally spins itself into nothingness.

Drifting keyboard riffs fill the most of the sound that will come from your CD player, followed by the crashing fire of guitars and the vibrating husk of bass warbling behind. Cymbal crashes punctuate otherwise mechanistic (heh) drumming as the journey permutates through melodic changes to riff, without really leading the melody anywhere - wandering lead keyboards overlay the droning guitar thrash and vocals play dominant rhythm instrument to counterpoint the monolithic river of sound. Song structures are closest to techno, with breaks and breakdowns and re-entry phases. It never loses intensity but winds through the passageways of the mad.

Calling it idiot or idiot-savant will not help, most likely; where it is beautiful Tartaros builds exciting bends of melody inside otherwise repetitive ambient rock/metal cyclic structure, and where it is predictable it is more coherently assembled than most music. Aesthetically almost carnival gothic and rhythmically close to the waltzes of Graveland mixed with the pop throb from Ace of Base, this music is both ludicrous and intriguing through the clarity of its ability mixed with its deliberate obscurity.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:42 PM
N00B

Great stuff in this thread \m/
Old 10-17-2014, 01:40 AM
with his arms outstretched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maideneer View Post
Tartaros - The Grand Psychotic Castle (1997)

adamclark, this one is for you. Nothing to do with Melodeath right now, this is one of my favorite "berserk/weirdo/chaotic" records ever so I'm taking a little detour. This is Mr. Bungle on black metal steroids. I found an awesome review of this record some years ago and it has never left me...

That's some insane shit for sure. The intro was nuts but the actual "black metal" was actually really well done. It took me a few minutes to remember who Charmand Grimloch was. I personally like the other Grimlock much more. ME GRIMLOCK SMASH. That guy was more metal than all and not just because he was, you know, a robot.

I remember this band from years and years ago too but I just can't remember where. Cool stuff. It's nice to hear something different.
03/07 -- Video Games Live
Old 10-17-2014, 08:04 AM

A quick search of the internet tells me Charmand Grimloch is now a fucking hip-hop/electronica producer and DJ, and has written songs for: “Center Stage 2”, “Ping Pong Playa”, “Save The Last Dance 2” , “American Pie: The Naked Mile”, “How I Met Your Mother”,” “Las Vegas”, “CSI: NY”, “Dollhouse“, “Ghost Whisperer”, “Scrubs”.

I know a lot of guys in the black metal scene have this deep connection to trance/electro whatever, but going from being a keyboard player in Emperor and playing on the IN THE NIGHTSIDE FUCKING ECLIPSE record...to this?!

Story

Video

Last edited by Maideneer; 10-18-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:02 PM

Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane (1995)

Honestly, if you haven't heard this record by now, fucking shame on you. A massive, now (in)famous behemoth of a record that no metal fan can ignore. I debated with myself on whether to put this one or The Somberlain up here, I know plenty of the trve folks would opt for that one and I'm almost inclined to agree, but much like people love At The Gates "Slaughter" record the most I have to stand with my 'popular' choice here. Everything is present from the blazing fast, dreamlike soft, raging insanity, acoustic ethereal guitars only a Swede could pull off...this album is exacting perfection. Too bad it came from the mind of a absolute nutcase but then again, a lot of stuff does.