Head Wound City -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 21st, 2014
After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 11-04-2011, 12:38 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Now that 2011 is coming to its end....What was the BEST Show you went to this year?

Or should I say SHOWS... for those that can't narrow it down to just one. Seeing how so many of you guys have been to a shitload of gigs this past year I thought it would be nice to see what was the best(and even worst) shows you guys attended for this year.

I did a thread similar to this last year as well and it did fairly well with a decent amount of posts from everyone sighting there favorite gigs and what not for 2010. Anyways, I'm off today and bored as fuck so I decided to bring this shithole back....but I REALLY would like to hear from all yall what your favorite shows were.

SO LETS DO THIS SHIT

1. SCION ROCK FEST:
Morbid Angel, Obituary, Anaal Nathrakh, Municipal Waste, Wormrot, Athiest, Immolation, AND MORE.

Honestly, Some might have different opinions but I thought this was easily the best gig of 2011 for me. HANDS FUCKING DOWN. It was also the first gig of 2011 for me. Great way to start off. How can you beat this?

1. It was for free
2.The way they had it set up was FANTASTIC(in my opinion, minus some of the line issues like MISSING ATHIEST).
3.With a line up like that you cant really hate the player but hate the game.
4.FREE, YOU FUCKS.

I had a fucking blast at this show and those of you who don't know what the hell i'm talking about can just go to Vegs review and find it, there you can find pretty much everyones experience on how amazing the show was from me to srms, to chris, to tregh to ect. really hope they bring this back to CA but i highly doubt that

2.PORTISHEAD:
I wouldn't even begin to explain how trippy, epic and dark this show was. Beth and the rest of the band was On point and brought this dark GROOVY Vibe with them that pretty much set the stone on how the show would be played out. SHATTEREDFLAMES could do a much better explanation on how intense this show was. Nuff said. I need to go to more Trip Hop shows more often if they are anything like this. Great set up, visuals, everything! Portishead was incredible...nuff said

3. SEPULTURA @ Anahiem house of blues
I have seen them 3 times this year but nothing will ever compare to the first time....that very special day....Jan 13th 2011. I'm not putting this as my number 3 because its simply my favorite band or some shit like that. I put this as my number 3 because I have waited since 2006 to see these fools. Whether or not they are the REAL SEP or what not....all i know is to me...They are still kicking ass and keeping the great name of "Sepultura" alive with the help of Andreas Kisser and his backing members they still got my mutha fuckin' love and support. Not only that but the band actually sounds amazing. And I'm not just talking out of my ass either, I have seen them 3 times. The last time I saw them I personally thought they played very sloppy and fucking awful. Infact...they were so bad that I could see Andreas screaming and yelling at one of the sound guys behind the curtains after the show was over....wasn't pretty at all. But the first time will always be the best. The anticipation, the wait, the fact that I had waited so long to see themm and MORE IMPORTANTLY...THEY DELIVERED. Andreas kisser and the rest sounded AW-MAZE-ING! Heres some nice little videos to bring back some good ol' memories of that faithful night.

ATTITUDE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_SYEQV9634

SEPTIC SCHIZO & Escape to the Void. I'm in this video @ 55 seconds - 1:02 and 1:57-200. both times on the far right side of the pit, trying to catch my breath.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHmogeJIFIw

4.THE BIG FOUR: METALLICA, Slayer, Mega-titz and ANTHRAX
PERSONALLY, This wasn't the best show but the reason I ranked it as my number 4....well...honestly. It's going to sound really lame and childesh. But...I JUST HAD A SHITLOAD OF FUN AT THIS SHOW. I felt like a little kid at Disney Land. Being in a giant open field in the middle of shithole no where, while going insane to "Postmortem", "Anti-Christ", "ORION", "Fade to black" is just something I will never forget. At first i was totally against this show and even ranted many times on the big four thread about how i was totally against this. Hell you can find posts of me saying that I would NEVER EVER...EVER BUY TICKETS FOR THIS SHOW.. and ect

But after hearing sanitarium go on about how lucky we are to even have this in CA and how he himself would of made the long-VERY LONG drive to the gig if it was anywhere near him, I figured "ay, fuck it, hes right, I SHOULD TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS WHILE I STILL CAN.....plus....SLAYER IS ON THIS....and i love me some slayer! YES INDEED-E"

Like I said on chris's Big 4 thread. Anthrax was good, but the sound was wiggin' out A LOT during their set, definitely not the bands fault. At times they sounded really great and then the wind would fuck the sound up and you could only hear one monitor going on and what not(hell it might have just been because of the area I was in. The place was HUGE.). Megadeth was horrible. I donno why, they just sucked, straight up. Horrific Performance by Dave and Co. SLAYER was fucking amazing. I don't know if it was because of Gary Holts tight and on point riffidge or if it was because of toms epic ass fucking metal mutha fuckin voice. Tom Araya was easily THE BEST out of all the frontmen @ the big four. He sounded perfect on songs like "Anti Christ", "Black Magic" and "POSTMORTEM". I should also note that a good reason to why I went to this show was to simply see Slayer. They will always remain the 2nd family that I have always wanted. And a part of me had a feeling that they would not tour America or cali other than this one off date so I'm glad I took the chance. Big four was great, but slayer took the cake that night.

Raining Blood/Black Magic @ Big Four in CA. Band sounds fuckin' GREAT. Especially Tom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iszgzm7EvYI

5.POWER OF THE RIFF
Pentagram, EYEHATEGOD, Pelican, Trap Them, WINTER

This show had its highs and lows

HIGHS:EVERY BAND KICKED ASS AND i also got introduced to new bands that I was not familar with before and I left a new fanboy! Everyone was fucking great. Pentagram sounded heavy and thats the only way i could decribe their performance, EYEHATEGOD had the most insane crowed out of all the bands, MAYHEM AND HELL EVERYWHERE. Winter and Pelican also delivered the goods. Good times indeed and a great way to start the night off after a long days at work from 9 in the morning to 6 pm.

LOWS: I missed like 70% of the bands which was pretty bummy. I also Spent a good portion of the show trying to find Christopher. Which turned into an epic fail. OH WELL...One day my man, one day

6.Judas Priest Epitaph gig @ San Manuel theater
Might be the last time i see these guys(maybe not with that whole Metal Masters shin dig rumoring around here). Anyways, They all braught their A-GAME, especially Rob and that new Guy, Richie. What is there to say that I havent said on My messy little rant that I left about the concert 2-3 weeks ago? Great show, probably the best I've heard them live out of the 3 times I saw them. AnyONE who hasn't seen this tour yet should hit it up. Do it!

7. DEATH ANGEL @ lil' ol Chain reaction
Great show. Band was on point the entire night. Loved the fact that it was at the chain reaction. I love how fucking small that little shithole is. Just like tregh, I've had some great fucking times there. Abit, it does suck that they have a very strict curfew, NO-BOOSE-YOU-LOOSE policy going on but oh well. Doesn't really bug me, Maybe chris and others but the chain is cool with me The sep man has got mad love for chain and his peepz

8. ROCK THE BELLS 2011.
Nas, Ghost face & Raekwon the Chef, Gza, RZA, Masta Killa, Lauryn Hill, Mobb Deep, BLACK MOON, Cypress Hill, BlacK sTARR

Honestly. I dont even remember what rock the bells this is for me?...Like my 5th rock the bells? or 6th? Fuck if i remember. I been to too many

Bobby Solo, I honestly don't know what you're yappin' about how all the hip hop shows you've been to have been nothing but lack luster performances. But I'd like to consider my self a hip hop-connoisseur of sorts. And I have probably been to over 200 hip hop gigs in the last 7-8 years and I assure you, son...You just go to shitty ass gigs. Because some of the best gigs I've attended ouside of this metal-floyd-rock world that we live in...Well...is PURE hip hop. And this was no different. Cypress Hill was fantastic, Ghost and Rae weren't too bad but them fools are loosin' it. Masta Killa was the best rapper that day. He sounds so much better live then when he does on those wu Tang Records. EPIC FAIL on my part that I had to miss Nas's Performance of his 93 classic Illmatic, but it was kina worth it because I decided to stick around on the other stage to see GZA perform all of liquid swords!. Black Moon alsoe performed there 93 grimey N.Y classic "ENTA THE STAGE" in its entirety! That was another highlight, especially because I grew up listening to that album for more then a decade. I can think back in 95, chillin on my granmas steps in shitty IRAN bumping "SLAVE" by black moon. Good times

9.KRS ONE @ Embure of Anahiem
This was my third time seeing this hip hop legend. I got to see this show for free because the security in the front entrance forgot to charge me and my friends for a ticket! AND krs acknowledged my existence by pulling me up the stage and pointing out to the crowed on how I was the best and craziest person at that show.....especially considering the fact that there was only like 20 people in attendance

10.LA RISING:
Rage Against the Machine & Muse.

Not a fan of muse, they grabbed my attention through out their set though. Rage was good. Not great. There was something lacking in their performance. Still, It was a blast going ape shit at the gigantic Memorial Colosseum to some good ol BULLET IN THE FUCKING HEAD. Also, straight up...Their sound should have been WAY LOUDER. nuff said.

Anyways. phewww, i'M Pooped. Thats the sep rant for the day. Hope to see more people post what their fave shows were for this year. I'm probably going to get some shit from certain people for leaving long useless messy posts for each show that I put up, but oh well...What can you do. If you cant fight em, join em. And if you cant join them....Then fuck it, roll up a fatt one for the brothers that ain't around and bump some Low End theory by a tribe called quest. I'm out folks, Got nutthin but mad love for all yall, even if I do think you're a piece of shit that needs to eat cat fish. TAKE CARE
11/14 - Slayer

Last edited by Sepultura69; 11-05-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Probably either Muse, Roger Waters, Fucked Up, Deftones, Napalm Death, Iron Maiden, or Exhumed.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 11-04-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal_descent View Post
Probably either Muse, Roger Waters, Fucked Up, Deftones, Napalm Death, Iron Maiden, or Exhumed.
You saw Roger Waters this year? I thought you saw him last year? And big ups on the Napalm Death vote. I thought they were easily one of the best bands that I saw in 2009. I saw Kreator/Exodus the night before the Napalm Death show and I can easily tell you that I thought Napalm Death was so much more better, heavier, and more fun Live. The crowed was much different too. The kreator/Exodus show was sold out and there was no space for me to even breath. Where as when i went to see Napalm Death....There was only...maybe 100 people there...fuck man, even less I think? I honestly dont remember but compared to the show with kreator the night before....Crowed participation was definitely lack luckster. But Still, Napalm Death came out being the better band for me. Also, after the show was over Barney gave me an unopened water bottle.....AND THEN HE SIGHNED IT....and sighned my friends parking ticket. Damn, Barney is such a cool guy
11/14 - Slayer
Old 11-04-2011, 12:52 PM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Maryland Death Fest, by far. 4 days of incredible bands, partying and all around the greatest weekend of my life. That's probably how it's gonna go next year as well!

But as for non-festival shows, I'd have to go with...

Nocturnal/Witchaven: Just one big thrash party in a room behind a Mexican restaurant in Chicago. Sucks I can't remember most of it ( ) but that usually means I had an amazing time!

Cross Examination: The other party show I went to, and I actually didn't drink one sip of alcohol because I had to drive. But even without drinking, it was still an amazing night!

Exhumed/Goatwhore: The only show where it was hard to decide which of these bands were better. Havok were cool but god damn, Exhumed and Goatwhore were INCREDIBLE!

Trap Them/Black Breath/Mammoth Grinder: 3 great bands, all for free! Actually the first show of the year for me as well! Black Breath were the best in my opinion.

Magrudergrind/Noisear ---> Macabre: The first show being free and having 2 awesome grind bands putting on crazy shows, and right after that was done I went to see Macabre the same night for only $10! Macabre are one of my favorite bands, so seeing these 2 shows in one night was a great experience!

Agalloch: Just a mind blowing experience. The atmosphere, Agalloch themselves, everything was incredible.

There's a lot I'm forgetting to mention but I got some stuff to do. I'll post again probably tomorrow or maybe late tonight.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura69 View Post
You saw Roger Waters this year? I thought you saw him last year? And big ups on the Napalm Death vote.
April 23rd, 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura69 View Post
Damn, Barney is such a cool guy.
Amen. Guy stood outside in the midst of a crowd for 20-30 minutes before doors opened signing shit and posing for photos with fans.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 11-04-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
Maryland Death Fest, by far. 4 days of incredible bands, partying and all around the greatest weekend of my life. That's probably how it's gonna go next year as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
Nocturnal/Witchaven: Just one big thrash party in a room behind a Mexican restaurant in Chicago.
11/14 - Slayer
Old 11-04-2011, 01:02 PM

Ensiferum and Finntroll was definitely my favorite show of the year. CA Metalfest being right behind it.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 11-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

1. Godspeed You! Black Emperor @ 40 Watt Club in Athens, GA on 3/22

2. Merlefest w/Robert Plant & the Band of Joy and The Doobie Brothers @ WCC Campus in Wilkesboro, NC on 4/28-5/1

3. Nicole Atkins & the Black Sea @ the Milestone Club in Charlotte, NC on 6/20

4. Explosions in the Sky @ Amos' Southend in Charlotte, NC on 4/3

5. Rush @ the Greensboro Coliseum in Greensboro, NC on 4/2
Old 11-04-2011, 01:26 PM
TiradesOfTruth

1. The Black Dahlia Murder/Cannabis Corpse/Beast In The Field
It was all around a awesome gig. It was cheap, small venue, huge pit and everyone having a fun time. One of the most intense shows I have ever seen. Also got to hang with Trevor afterwards.

2. Slayer/Rob Zombie/Exodus
Exodus opened it with a bang! Slayer followed by putting on their best performance I have seen them do. Rob Zombie closed it with awesome stage show and performance as always.

3. Summer Slaughter
Got to see one of my favorite bands TBDM again. Powerglove were fun. Dying Fetus put on a killer show. Fleshgod were also really good. Only problem was all the Deathcore bands.

4. DevilDriver
Also one of my favorite bands. It was only DevilDriver and a bunch of local bands. DevilDriver played a kickass set and got the crowd into it.

5. Mayhem fest
Had a great time with a bunch of firends. I actually really liked the line up. Got to v.i.p. because I one a contest. So I got to watch Kingdom Of Sorrow and Red Fang in between the rail and stage. Met Machine Head and talked to Kirk from KOS.

This will probably change when I go and see Judas Priest.
8/9 Boris
8/30 Morbid Saint/Vektor
Old 11-04-2011, 01:27 PM
The <_> Badge of Honor

1. Kyuss Lives! - Even though Homme wasn't present, this was without a doubt my favorite show of the year. Kyuss (Lives) is one of my five favorite bands, and I'd been waiting to see them for years.

2. Dropkick Murphys - Tons of energy, awesome set. One big party.

3. Deftones/DEP - Up close to the stage for the whole set, screaming Diamond Eyes, Rocket Skates, Change, Passenger, etc made this a hell of a show.

4. A Day To Remember - One of my favorite bands as well. So glad I finally go to see them... and for free!

5. Origin - Another very energetic band. I was in front of Paul Ryan the whole time, who can shred like none fucking other.

6. Hollywood Undead (KFMA date) - Haters gonna hate, I had a blast. When they came out with "Undead," I shoved every scenie aside to start a pit, which they hated.

7. Mayhem Festival - Fun simply because between being good friends with Reese's nephew and working for the ASU radio station, I scored an interview with In Flames and got all access. Got to hang backstage with Jamey Jasta, Kirk Windstein, Dan Donegan, Andres Friden, Sully Erna and several others.
6/28 - Warped Tour
6/30 - Puscifer