Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Battlecross -- Westland, MI -- December 20th, 2014
Sadistic Intent -- Downey, CA -- December 21st, 2013
Thy Art Is Murder -- Sydney, Australia -- December 19th, 2014
Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014
Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014

Old 04-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Geez is up high in the mix, nice. Drums are good so far. Little slow but pretty eerie sounding too. Ozz just came in, I don't think he sounds bad, less fake sounding than his recent solo stuff. I can hear a bit of autotune though for sure.

Not super crazy about the riffing on the chorus, its ok. Lyrics are pretty cool so far. Don't really like the part around the 5 minute mark. 6:20 - Hell yes, sounds bluesy like the first album. Ending was a bit abrupt, would have liked more solo work from Tony.

So those are my initial thoughts. Overall, I liked it. Ozz sounds better than I thought he would and Wilk sounds pretty good and I don't mind the production. Bit overly long though.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 04-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Concert Veteran

The song is avaiable on iTunes now. The quality is better than the one that was posted on here. Pretty solid song, if the rest of the album is on par with this we'll have an enjoyable record.

Not sure why some thought Ozzy's vocals were gonna sound different here then they have for the last 15 years or so. His voice sounds exactly like I expected it would.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:01 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Pretty enjoyable song. I had no expectations either way, but I'm glad it turned out to be pretty good and not bad. It's not fantastic or anything, but good's good. Interested in the album.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

I'm pretty happy with it. Can't wait to hear more.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:04 AM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVH5150 View Post
Rick Rubin produced it, what do you expect?
People nowadays really seem to mix up the roles of an engineer with a producer, especially when they want to talk shit about Rick Rubin.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:12 AM
with his arms outstretched

I guess I got what I expected from the new song. I wasn't clamoring for it and didn't expect to be blown out of my seat. But what I really didn't expect was that I got bored and changed the channel about halfway through.

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2
Old 04-19-2013, 02:51 AM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I guess I got what I expected from the new song. I wasn't clamoring for it and didn't expect to be blown out of my seat. But what I really didn't expect was that I got bored and changed the channel about halfway through.
You missed the best part then! The song was kind of slow at first, but the last half if amazing!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:45 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

I sampled a few seconds from the beginning middle and end, found it to be exactly what I expected (Ozzy singing for Heaven & Hell - there, I said it), and stopped because I don't want to spoil hearing the whole album for the first time when it arrives in June.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 04-19-2013, 04:46 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonos View Post
People nowadays really seem to mix up the roles of an engineer with a producer, especially when they want to talk shit about Rick Rubin.
I would actually really be interested in some of the guys here who are involved in record production/engineering/mixing etc. giving a detailed breakdown of exactly what parts of what we hear on any given album are due to which person. And what it is they do to achieve it etc.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 04-19-2013, 10:23 AM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I would actually really be interested in some of the guys here who are involved in record production/engineering/mixing etc. giving a detailed breakdown of exactly what parts of what we hear on any given album are due to which person. And what it is they do to achieve it etc.
The raw vocal, guitar, bass and drum tones were because of the engineers who tracked the sessions. They likely spent half a day just messing with their gear and the artist's equipment trying to get one instrument sound that they liked. The mix engineers took said tones, EQ them to their liking, add reverb, possibly replace kick drums with samples (that's Andy Sneap's technique anyway), and do whatever they've got to do to get a mix they like.

Now this is where it gets tricky. Some mixing engineers have been doing what is supposed to be the mastering engineer's job and crank their master fader (basically the one fader in Pro-Tools/Logic that brings every active instrument fader up or down simultaneously) to oblivion. This results in clipping, which is when part of a wave form gets effectively chopped into a flat line because it hit the "ceiling" so to speak of digital audio- that's 0 dB. We hear clipping as digital distortion. When a mastering engineer receives a mix, they're supposed to balance the overall EQ from track to track, make the songs loud enough for the market and add fades and transitions where necessary. When a mastering engineer receives a jacked mix of the kind I just mentioned, there is nearly nothing they can do to fix it. This is what happened to Death Magnetic, and Stadium Arcadium, both Rick Rubin productions. Rick Rubin has probably never manned a board in his entire career. Yes, he deserves some blame for letting these albums get pressed sounding they way they do, but he is not directly responsible for the sound of any of his records in an engineering sense.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16