Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014
Tony MacAlpine -- Vienna, VA -- October 19th, 2014
Neurosis -- Tucson, AZ -- October 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 11-04-2011, 10:41 PM
That Guy

The Ocean -- St. Paul, MN -- November 4th, 2011

Before I start...The Ocean is one of the top 5 bands I have ever seen live, despite their short set HOLY FUCK!!!!

The night started off very fucked up, then went amazing. I got to Station 4 and waited outside for a half hour for the doors to open, all that was there was these group of deathcore kids. Which is odd because The Devil Wears Prada was playing in Minneapolis, I was thinking they were waiting at the wrong venue. NOPE. Turns out that there was 2 Deathcore bands opened the show. When I got inside, I thought tickets were 7 bucks. Again...NOPE. 3 BUCKS...That's right....3 FUCKING DOLLARS!!!!

The other part that scared the hell out of me was that The Ocean wasn't there yet. So I thought they canceled. Right when I was about to ask, they showed up. So that made me very happy.

They Deathcore opening bands sucked donkey balls. all under 21 year old deathcore kids with Oceano and As Blood Runs Black shirts on the first band was only noticeable because their breakdowns were the double bass riff from Metallica's One. Maybe they thought they were opening for Oceano and messed up. hahaha

The last opening band I do not remember the name of, but I'll call them Hodgepodge, because that's exactly what they were, a hodgepodge of random metal, Mainly one Thrash riff with a lot of The Burning Red/Supercharger era Machine Head riffs along with it. They also sucked.

Then after 3 horrible bands (The first show I ever went to when there wasn't one band that I didn't like as an opener) The ocean rocked the fucking house. I seriously couldn't have asked for more out of a band. They had the ultimate stage presence. Jumping all over stage, running in the crowd, throwing guitars into the crowd and pulling them back by only their straps. Everything about them was incredible, especially the biggest part...THEIR MUSIC. My god, they are so much heavier and insane live then by their albums. Ultimate showmanship by all 4 guys. Although they only played for roughly an hour they picked one hell of a setlist:

Shamayim
Firmament
The Grand Inquisitor I: Karamazon Baseness
Ectasian
She Was The Universe
The Origin Of Species
The Origin Of God

After the show I and a couple new friends I met at the show talked to guitarist, Jonathan Nido. for a good 20 minutes after. He is a hell of a good guy. He let us in that their bassist has to take a 2 year break starting in 2012 to get his masters in Architecture. But they are planning on doing ANOTHER double album and hopefully touring behind it. Sadly, he said this will have to be their make or break album to tour the states again. The Ocean is not going to quit making music, but touring might be a harder time.

Right before he finished packing I got him to do a quick Station ID for my radio show, and I let him know I'm playing The Ocean in 2 weeks on it, so I asked him what song to play, he requested Firmament. I will happily oblige.

Overall depsite the shittiest openers I've seen at a show (except for the deathcore band opening for Devin Townsend) back on October 8th. This is one of the absolute best shows I have ever seen The Ocean deserves to be HUGE!!!

*I also bought a shirt for 20 bucks. I'll post a pic if anyone wants to see it.*
Old 11-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Sounds like a great time! I'm bummed I missed them when they came here. I didn't know about the show until they posted they just played LA. An hour for a headlining set isn't so bad when they were opening for someone the entire tour.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:52 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
Sounds like a great time! I'm bummed I missed them when they came here. I didn't know about the show until they posted they just played LA. An hour for a headlining set isn't so bad when they were opening for someone the entire tour.
I forgot to mention that in the review. It was a very low turn out, but they knew that going in, as the show was only announced on October 25th. Had this been a planned show it would have been packed.

Yeah an hour isn't too bad, it just felt so short. I really couldn't ask for anymore.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I forgot to mention that in the review. It was a very low turn out, but they knew that going in, as the show was only announced on October 25th. Had this been a planned show it would have been packed.

Yeah an hour isn't too bad, it just felt so short. I really couldn't ask for anymore.
It's always good for a band to play sort of a full set when they know the turnout is bad. I saw Master a few years ago and my friend and I were 2 of 8 people that showed up, so they only played half a set. Last night I was the crowd for a show and the band played a full set. It seems like The Ocean was one of the better bands that would play a full set, even if no one showed up.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:03 PM
That Guy

Quote:
It's always good for a band to play sort of a full set when they know the turnout is bad. I saw Master a few years ago and my friend and I were 2 of 8 people that showed up, so they only played half a set. Last night I was the crowd for a show and the band played a full set. It seems like The Ocean was one of the better bands that would play a full set, even if no one showed up.
I've been to those shows too. Luckily most of the shows I go to with a very small turn out, The bands get into it more and just think of it as an exclusive show (That's what The Ocean said anyways, haha)

All you gotta do is look up The Origins of God (Live) *If there is any up yet on youtube* It was the PERFECT way to end a show. But even before that there was so much energy. It was like old school Bad religion playing Progressive Sludge Metal on stage.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:04 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Do want to see the shirt pic!

Man, the Ocean gets hit with such awful luck. I want to see 'em headline real band, but I'll totally understand if they break up/have to go on hiatus in the next year or so due to financial reasons. Very jelly, man!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:06 PM
That Guy

Nevermind, here is a good ass version of it, but I'm not done watching it so I don't know if they do the same thing at the end on this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErfmxGYWXr0

Need about 10 minutes for the shirt pic. My phone is charging
Old 11-04-2011, 11:12 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Do want to see the shirt pic!

Man, the Ocean gets hit with such awful luck. I want to see 'em headline real band, but I'll totally understand if they break up/have to go on hiatus in the next year or so due to financial reasons. Very jelly, man!
Thanks man. I didn't think I was going to be able to see them since they were apart of the Devin Townsend tour...but had to miss the first 3 days (St. Paul being the first date of the tour) Then I got to see them headline Tonight for 3 FUCKING DOLLARS. I'm still in awe.

Just to add to the jelly. Obscura is playing next week, and I'm guaranteed an autographed copy of Omnivium when they come to town.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
It was like old school Bad religion playing Progressive Sludge Metal on stage.
LMFAO I can understand exactly what you mean, but never thought I would ever hear anyone make a connection in that way hahahaha
Old 11-04-2011, 11:19 PM
That Guy

Quote:
LMFAO I can understand exactly what you mean, but never thought I would ever hear anyone make a connection in that way hahahaha
hahahah, That's what first popped in my head when trying to describe it.

This also helps describe it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWb5gCpqdbw

Tags
the ocean