Nile -- Baltimore, MD -- April 15th, 2014
Within Temptation -- Newcastle, England -- April 14th, 2014
Carcass -- Silver Spring, MD -- April 13th, 2014
Destruction -- Montreal, Quebec -- April 14th, 2014
Ghoul -- Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 10-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Yeah Black Witchery's production is pretty fucking terrible.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:45 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
Damnation – Destructo Evangelia
Genre: Black
Year: 2004

Destructo Evangelia takes us back to a time before black metal had a cemented foundation and specific sound. Although it was released in 2004, it is much like the recordings of the late ‘80s black metal scene, specifically being reminiscent of the early Bathory releases. The highlight of the album is the riffs, which are crafted remarkably well. They utilize a mixture of the second wave style of tremolo picking and some thrashing rhythms, reminiscent of the early scene. There are also some eerie melodic overtones and slow, plodding sections that trudge onward into darkness. The piercing vocals overlay the instruments nicely, giving it an ominous feel. This is a must have album for fans of Bathory’s black metal era, as it is a phenomenal tribute to Quorthon’s legacy.

“When Creation Dies” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8irxD89Y6zs

Holy fuck man, this is fantastic. Thanks.

Demigod – Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Genre: Death
Year: 1992

Demigod’s debut album is a pinnacle of Finnish death metal, presenting some of the region’s most powerful material. Although it may be a lesser known release in comparison to the early works of neighboring legends Entombed and Dismember, it is certainly equal in quality. Demigod works at a typical mid-paced rhythm, but they are masters of song structure, making every moment compelling and unique. Each of the remarkable riffs leads into the next one smoothly, bridging the gaps flawlessly and keeping the songs gliding onward. Some riffs are uncompromisingly heavy, backed by thunderous double bass, while others have an eerie melodic edge, as in “Tears of God”. The solos aren’t overly complex and are only added where suitable, fitting into the songs exceptionally well. Slumber of Sullen Eyes is an excellent representation of talent and restraint working in harmony, and it has now become an immensely sought after release for fans.

“The Forlorn” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVG6_TkpnJ4

Great band! One of the best death metal albums ever.

Depravity – Silence of Centuries
Year: 1993

Depravity was another Finnish death metal band that released some stellar material, although they never made a full length. This was their second EP and last release before breaking up. Depravity played a much more doom oriented style of death metal, focusing on slower songs, unlike the other bands from their country. The solos are phenomenal and placed perfectly while not overstaying their welcome. It’s also important to note that there is not much emphasis on heavy riffs, but instead more atmospheric ones that build upon an extremely haunting feel. Although these riffs often reoccur in the songs, they remain endlessly compelling. These simplistic songs produce an overwhelmingly uncanny aura, much different from any other European death metal release. This brief yet engaging EP will get your senses on edge yearning for more.

“Sleepy Ocean” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NkrYkrpr20

Wow, this is really fucking good, too. You're on a roll, treggers

Desaster – Tyrants of the Netherworld
Genre: Black / Thrash
Year: 2000

While Germany produced a legacy of thrash metal, Desaster set out to integrate some of the genre’s elements into their own music. In fact, the name Desaster may sound familiar, as it was taken from Destruction’s song “Total Desaster”. Their style combines the ferocity of Norwegian black metal with the cutting riffs of German thrash, creating a highly unique and vicious sound, unmatched by any other band. The vocals even bear resemblance to Schmier of Destruction, imitating his delivery and trademark shrieks. It should be said that the riffs on this record are extraordinary, delivering momentous rhythms and powerful melodies. Each song is distinctive and relentless, ensuring you will never find a dull moment. With this album Desaster has forged a slab of pure teutonic steel, drawing aspects from two different styles of metal and combining them with ease.

“Profanation” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CPjiY-PsSY

Yeah, I remember listening to these guys when looking at the MDF lineup. This song is just out of this world...I'll probably download some of their stuff now.

Fimbulwinter – Servants of Sorcery
Year: 1994

Before the existence of Dimmu Borgir, Shagrath played guitar and drums in Fimbulwinter, a second wave black metal band that would release one album before breaking up. With that being said, I assure you that Fimbulwinter is nothing like Dimmu Borgir; there are no symphonic elements to be found here, only the cold, demonic sounds the second wave was notorious for. The production is rough and uncompromising, with the screeching vocals and mesmerizing guitars being at the forefront of the mix. In essence, this is what we’ve come to know as “true Norwegian black metal”. The tortured screams and dissonant guitars echo in the misty fjords, piercing the frosty air and taking the listener on a journey through the unforgiving Norwegian countryside.

“Servants of Sorcery” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUnS6kI8o98

Not bad.

Gorement – The Ending Quest

Gorement was founded in 1989 and released a handful of demos and one full length, The Ending Quest. While their demos are incredible pieces of work, the album has a slight edge over them. The demos concentrate on pure, rotten death metal, while The Ending Quest takes that groundwork and builds upon it with some melodic leads and more focused songwriting. Memorable riffs saturate each song, topped off with guttural vocals and some genuinely haunting moments. Instruments aside, a key component to this album is the production, which brings out the heaviness in the riffs. The songs would not sound nearly as powerful if they had the stereotypical buzzsaw guitar tone, which many bands in their scene chose to use.

“My Ending Quest” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id7BMU4Nb2w

Not bad.
hi again
Old 10-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Bring Me The Horizon > Opeth

I have this comp by Bestial Mockery and it seriously rapes my face it's so good. I honestly bought it on a whim because I saw an ad for it in Metal Maniacs 4 years ago.
04/24 - Iron Reagan
05/13 - SLAYER
Old 10-14-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Inquisition – Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan
Year: 2002

One of the most unique black metal bands to exist is Washington’s Inquisition. There is simply no other band with vocals resembling Dagon’s. Upon first listen, they may seem awkward and out of place, but if given a chance you will realize how perfectly they fit in, as unusual as they may be. This uncanny style transmits and almost supernatural vibe to the listener and entrances them deeper into the music. The songs are varied, with only a few focusing on blistering speed and the others remaining in a prolonged slower pace, winding through bizarre passages with hypnotic riffs and a couple of astounding solos. This is an album that will be rewarding to those who spend time attempting to comprehend it.

“Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItG2mRLcnjc

Eh, Inquisition is pretty cool, I guess. Haven't listened to that much of them, but it's solid.

Merciless – The Awakening
Genre: Death / Thrash
Year: 1990

While so many bands in Sweden focused on creating a crunchy guitar tone and thick production, Merciless deviated in the opposite direction. Combining chaotic German thrash with early death metal, Merciless wrote an absolutely timeless record. Abrasive could be a word to describe it, but it’s just so much more than that. These are the type of riffs that melt the skin off your face and leave you on the floor bleeding profusely, yet strangely enthralled by what you have experienced. Unbelievably, there’s not a dull one to be found here. Each one builds upon the predecessor with seamless transitions leading into the following ones. The ripping vocals only amplify the intensity. They are more concentrated on the early death metal style, but are delivered at a rapid pace, much like those found on Kreator’s Pleasure to Kill. The drums are adept and never feel overly complicated, augmenting the music perfectly, which is ideal for an album like this, where the riffs are clearly the driving force. Lastly, production gives this album an absolutely tormenting sound. The instruments are powerful and the vocals sound menacing, while not sounding excessively clean. This is one of those very few albums I would dare to call flawless.

“Bestial Death” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5BNTnMcJFI

Not bad.

Morbid Saint – Spectrum of Death
Genre: Thrash / Death
Year: 1988

On the other side of the pond we have our own stellar death thrash band, who released this killer album. From the opening riff of “Lock up Your Children”, you can tell you’re in for a hell of a ride. Morbid Saint amps up the pace here, writing fleeting riffs supplemented with a shot of Methamphetamine. These furious riffs are accompanied by rigorous drumming and psychotic screams that could easily revive the dead from their underground confines. Two of the songs, “Assassin” and “Scars”, clock in at seven minutes long, and to some people this might concerning, but I assure you they are just as powerful as the rest of the songs on the album. They are still loaded with the explosive riffs and solos that make this album such a masterpiece.

“Lock up Your Children” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGx_lkJsCZI

Yeah, love these guys. Great stuff here.

Morgoth – The Eternal Fall
Year: 1990

Mutilator – Immortal Force
Year: 1987

By the late ‘80s the Brazilian metal scene was flourishing, with many notable artists releasing their best material in the period of a few years. Mutilator was among those bands, putting forth their best effort to write abrasive metal. With an even mixture of thrash and death riffs, combined with harsh vocals, this record is a perfect representation of the transition era where death metal was gaining popularity. The primitive songwriting and quick shifts in tempo still manage to do great justice to this brief stage in the metal scene. While the band went on to release one more album in 1989, it did not quite stand up to this beast.

“Tormented Soul” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJwyhA7ztGs

Pretty cool trash, just shitty production.
what's up guise
Old 10-14-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Purtenance - Member of Immortal Damnation
Year: 1992

Hailing from Finland, Purtenance released some of filthiest death metal to come out of the region. Originally known as Purtenance Avulsion, they released one demo before shortening their name. Afterward they struck a record deal and released an EP and this full length. The unrefined production and guttural growls give this debut an undeniably putrid sound. Each song is loaded with slow, churning riffs matched with galloping double bass. The perfectly crafted plodding riffs are what really set this album apart from the others in the scene. They are all highly unique and equally memorable. Unfortunately the band split up in the same year this album was released, so it has become a relatively unknown gem.

“A Dark Cloud Arises” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaToUgnNs8k

I have this album. pretty solid Finnish DM.

Revenant – Prophecies of a Dying World
Year: 1991

While death metal was about to reach the peak of its popularity in the early ‘90s, record labels such as Roadrunner and Nuclear Blast took a major interest in it, signing a copious number of bands. One of the bands Nuclear Blast signed was Revenant, a group from New Jersey who played a blend of death and thrash. Despite having a substantial record deal, the band never attained a large audience, and eventually broke up in the mid ‘90s with only one album under their belts. However, that one album is a masterpiece, accentuating the best elements of the genres. The vocals are remarkable, utilizing a higher pitched growl that is far superior to the low gutturals that were becoming more prominent as death metal developed. The drumming features numerous intriguing fills and the patterns are well thought out and executed with precision, flowing together perfectly. The songs are generally in the seven minute range focusing on compelling instrumental passages with an abundance of twisted riffs and outstanding solos. The album adds up to nearly an hour in length, so it may be a bit much to take in all in one listen, but each second of it is exceptional.

“Ancestral Shadows” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJnQjVpaX9M

Me likey.

Sadistic Intent – Resurrection

In the midst of the Florida death metal movement, Sadistic Intent was busy creating their own pulverizing material on the opposite side of the country. Hailing from Los Angeles, they are one of the area’s first death metal bands, and they remain a powerful force to this day. Although they have never released a full length album they have received acclaim for their brand of primitive death metal, garnering them a strong cult following. Throughout the band’s early career they released a number of demos and a few EPs, one them being Resurrection. With pummeling riffs, perplexing solos, and possessed vocals, all the ingredients for soul wrenching death metal are present. The gritty production augments these elements nicely, making this small collection of songs completely astounding.

“Condemned in Misery” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN3e_5Gpzhs

Eh, not bad.

Tsjuder – Desert Northern Hell
Year: 2004

As the black metal scene has developed over the years, more and more bands have begun to change their style; some of these bands have done so successfully, while others failed miserably. Then there are the relatively few that do not stray from their path, instead refining their sound with each album. Tsjuder did just that, and by their third full length they had nearly achieved perfection. With a plethora of tremolo picking and relentless blast beats, Desert Northern Hell is the epitome of Norwegian black metal. Despite most of the album being ripping fast there is still a nice amount of variance, including a fair number of slower sections and longer songs. It’s safe to say that this is one of the strongest black metal releases in recent years.

“Ghoul” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxvzRB0Ajew

I have this album. Fucking amazing black metal
nmjcu
Old 10-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Great list! I've been lucky enough to see Archgoat and Nifelhiem. Both were very awesome. I keep missing my chance to see Inquisition. I think I've missed around 4 or their shows now
5/13-Scion Fest
6/13-Goddamn Gallows
8/28-8/31-Muddy Roots
Old 10-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by logAnarchy View Post
nmjcu
I don't approve of your feelings about Sadistic Intent
5/13-Scion Fest
6/13-Goddamn Gallows
8/28-8/31-Muddy Roots
Old 10-14-2011, 04:39 PM
The time has come for all to see the men behind the curtain cast into disease

"Christcrushing Hammerchainsaw"

Holy shit that is the best album title I have ever seen.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:24 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

not my genre but great work on your thread treghet

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 10-14-2011, 08:51 PM
How you gonna rip it like this, son?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
"Christcrushing Hammerchainsaw"

Holy shit that is the best album title I have ever seen.
THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Glad to see Morbid Saint getting another mention. Grossly underrated band
Hell yeah, Spectrum of Death is fucking chaotic!

This thread is incredible. I've heard a lot of these bands/albums before, just never got around to checking out most of them.