Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014
Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 10-05-2011, 11:53 AM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher of Birth View Post
I understand from Ravenheart that England's rules of free speech do not reach into allowing you say inflammatory things to incite rage, hate, anger, or violence in people. I personally wish the United States would adopt this due in part to the West Boro Church who picket the funerals of dead soldiers with signs reading "GOD HATES FAGS", etc.
We have the right to free speech everywhere. Not just in America, not just in England but everywhere. We are born with those rights. You can say whatever you want no matter how hateful it maybe. Even if someones speech incites violence no one can do anything about it until they actually do something violent. Your rights can only be turned into privleges if you cause physical harm to someone. Do I agree with people who incite violence or the things the West Boro Church has said? No. But I can't stop them from saying the things they say.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:41 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher of Birth View Post
I personally wish the United States would adopt this due in part to the West Boro Church who picket the funerals of dead soldiers with signs reading "GOD HATES FAGS", etc.
I pray you never hold a position of power in our government. Ever. That was just a fucking retarded thing to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
We are born with those rights. You can say whatever you want no matter how hateful it maybe.
I can actually see what you're getting at here, but I can't get behind it. That's a very black-and-white, immature way of looking at the world. Let's be pragmatic: we aren't born with shit. Our laws we've been raised up on and live under give us those rights. Of course, I'm kind of a nihilistic bastard, so take that as you will.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
I pray you never hold a position of power in our government. Ever. That was just a fucking retarded thing to say.

Not really.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

The idea has it's merits. Not to say that I personally agree with it but there are many 'free' places where certain things you say can be punishable by law. I'm living in one right now and I personally don't feel that it's much different from the freedom of speech we have in America. Yes, I prefer the American model but I don't think Logan's idea is anything close to retarded.

Quote:
I can actually see what you're getting at here, but I can't get behind it. That's a very black-and-white, immature way of looking at the world. Let's be pragmatic: we aren't born with shit. Our laws we've been raised up on and live under give us those rights. Of course, I'm kind of a nihilistic bastard, so take that as you will.
I think you hit the nail on the head. You could argue that we are indeed born with the inalienable human right to the freedom of speech but even so it's clear that the laws we create are what actually allow us to utilize those rights, be they inalienable or no.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac

Last edited by IrritatedTrout; 10-05-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:00 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Not really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
Yes, I prefer the American model but I don't think Logan's idea is anything close to retarded.
Logan hasn't commented here; that was Butcher of Birth.

Come on; I don't care how much you hate them, those Westboro people have every right to do that, and should have that right. It's what's made this country great for so long, and the second you limit that right for anyone (aka, the shit we did to our speech rights in WWI), you go against the most essential values this country holds.

/rant
Old 10-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Hint: there's only one real Logan, no offense to loganarchy intended.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 10-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

If you want to post your feelings against our troops, and do so in a method that conveys your anger:

http://buffalobeast.com/126/Fuck.the...an.Murphy.html

That is a much better (and expressive) method of doing it. But protesting a funeral? That's just classless.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:55 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
Come on; I don't care how much you hate them, those Westboro people have every right to do that, and should have that right. It's what's made this country great for so long, and the second you limit that right for anyone (aka, the shit we did to our speech rights in WWI), you go against the most essential values this country holds.

/rant
This country lost those values long ago.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

The First Amendment was not established to have you be able to say whatever you want whenever you want. That's the modern interpretation of it, but that's not what it should be.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
If you want to post your feelings against our troops, and do so in a method that conveys your anger:

http://buffalobeast.com/126/Fuck.the...an.Murphy.html

That is a much better (and expressive) method of doing it. But protesting a funeral? That's just classless.
I don't blame the troops for anything, they were decived just like the rest of us. I abhor war but I support anyone who would do what they think is right to defend their country. Problem is they were trapped in the lie, the real enemy is not overseas but here at home. If you want to fight an enemy don't go over seas killing other troops just as innocent as you. Stay home, help restore law and freedom back to America. Help bring us back to the founding principles that started this country and made it great. That is how you bring down the enemy, don't fight wars use peace. We have a chance to do this, and our goals will not be short lived like the founders were. We have a chance to bring this country back to freedom and keep it forever.