Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014
Tony MacAlpine -- Vienna, VA -- October 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 10-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Apocalyptica -- Moscow, Russia -- October 1st, 2011

Kind of a boring show. Regret going, would've rather stayed home or something.

Apocalyptica

On the Rooftop With Quasimodo
Grace
Master of Puppets (Metallica)
End Of Me *
I'm Not Jesus *
Quutamo
Sacra
Beautiful
Nothing Else Matters (Metallica)
Last Hope
Fisheye
Seek & Destroy (Metallica)
Inquisition Symphony (Sepultura)

At the Gates of Manala
I Don't Care *
Hall of the Mountain King
Farewell

* Tipe Johnson on vocals.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 10-01-2011, 12:05 PM

A few words on Apocalyptica and whatnot:

If you ask me, I think I went to this because I wanted to see whether they were worth all the hype they get - which they weren't. The concept of a symphonic metal band with only cellos is a gimmick, just as prepostourous as Ghost dressing up as Satanic priests or Gwar dressing up as intergalactic terrorists. While they do have talent (believe me, they can play some beautiful pieces) their music is only metal in that they play covers of bands such as Sepultura and Metallica. The songs with vocals (most of which I'm assuming are from the new album) have RIDICULOUS lyrics. Were they to get their cellos replaced by standard instruments, their music/lyrical content would be just like Skillet's or any other mainstream rock band's. The crowd (full of goths) was pretty disappointing, especially when they couldn't remember the lyrics to Master of Puppets aside from the chorus.

Anyway, unless you're a HUGE fan of the band, I wouldn't recommend going - especially if you only listen to their cover albums like I do.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 10-01-2011, 12:46 PM
N00B

I agree with almost everything you said. Except Ghost have the talent to back up the ridiculous gimmick. Writing a catchy pop song about human sacrifice is no easy task.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesOfBirchmen View Post
I agree with almost everything you said. Except Ghost have the talent to back up the ridiculous gimmick. Writing a catchy pop song about human sacrifice is no easy task.
True. I saw Ghost at a festival this past June and they were great - I disagree with whatever ravenheart has to say about their live performances. Gwar were pretty fun live as well, but I'd never listen to them on CD. Nevertheless, Ghost's costumes are still a gimmick whether they make good music or not. The image of the Priest (frontman) is probably burned in everyone's mind, when you think of Ghost, you think of the Priest's costume and badass facepaint.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 10-01-2011, 01:01 PM
N00B

Oh, definitely. I wish they'd head back to the states. I think they use the gimmick to their benefit. Much like GWAR, there's a huge tongue-in-cheek factor to it.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesOfBirchmen View Post
Oh, definitely. I wish they'd head back to the states. I think they use the gimmick to their benefit. Much like GWAR, there's a huge tongue-in-cheek factor to it.
I think them cancelling their tour with Enslaved just adds to the mysterious atmosphere they've created for themselves.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 10-01-2011, 01:55 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

I saw these guys at Rock on the Range a couple years ago, and really enjoyed them. Maybe because I've played the cello since 4th grade? I go to classical concerts all the time and love 'em.

I will say it pissed me off how they play standing up. Do you realize how fucking SHITTY your posture is for playing cello standing up? It's just stupid. A gimmick. If they were serious musicians about it, they would sit down and play well.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Banned Asshole

Apocalyptica is great live. Who cares if the songs are "metal?" Music is either good or not. And the vocals aren't even their own singer, they were all written by the various guests they brought in. The crowd shouldn't be expected to know Metallica vocals either, because they're not at a Metallica show.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:36 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magson13 View Post
Apocalyptica is great live. Who cares if the songs are "metal?" Music is either good or not. And the vocals aren't even their own singer, they were all written by the various guests they brought in. The crowd shouldn't be expected to know Metallica vocals either, because they're not at a Metallica show.
I agree with you that Apocalyptica should be judged on their great live performances, not if they're metal enough.

But I'm shocked to hear that the crowd didn't know the full lyrics to Master Of Puppets. I mean the whole first Apocalyptica album contains all Metallica covers, plus there are Metallica covers on their next two albums. Even if they didn't know Metallica when they got into Apocalyptica why would someone just be satisfied hearing a symphonic metal cover version? Not dissing Apocalyptica at all, love them and have all their albums. Just personally when I get an album I enjoy that has a cover song, I feel the need to hear the original for comparison and contrast. To be honest, I got into Metallica, Faith No More, AND Pantera because of the great Apocalyptica cover versions.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:13 PM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalDescent View Post
I think them cancelling their tour with Enslaved just adds to the mysterious atmosphere they've created for themselves.
Well it was confirmed that the singer of Ghost is the frontman of Repugnant.

Tags
apocalyptica