Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 09-30-2011, 09:16 PM
N00B

Opeth -- Atlanta, GA -- September 30th, 2011

Wow, where to begin? Without a doubt, this was the most fun I've had at a show. I feel like I should give a bit of back story first, so it doesn't seem like I'm excited for no reason. I was pretty strategic going into the show: I planned to get to the venue extra early, planned which t-shirts I was going to buy, and even devised a plan to make it to the front rail (my ultimate goal for the evening). I DID get to the venue early, but not early enough. By about 6:00, there was a fairly large line outside the venue. Fortunately, most of the people there made for decent conversationalists, so the time passed by quickly.

Finally, they began to let people in. Both nervous and excited, I dashed past the merch booth (part of my plan was to visit it after the show), and headed straight for the floor. By the time I walked down the stairs, there was one spot on the rail left. The race was on, and I managed to get the spot. Katatonia played shortly, and did a great job.

Now for the moment of truth - Opeth. This being my first time seeing Opeth, I was excited, but also disappointed by the set list I knew they'd play. After the opening notes of Devil's Orchard, all disappointment went away. What followed was 2 1/2 hours of Mikael telling jokes in between songs, dealing with hecklers, and a douchebag crowdsurfer being dropped on his ass twice, only the be kicked out by security (it was later revealed that Opeth's tour manager spotted the guy and wanted him out). The guy was extremely disruptive, and Mikael was so amused by it all, he had to start Hex Omega three different times because he was laughing so hard. All in all, while the set list could have been a bit better, it was an incredible experience. Also, Face of Melinda is absolutely ethereal live.

It became evident that the band was having a lot of fun. Mikael talked to the crowd a lot, had a guitar duel, and even told stories about dancing with the singer from ABBA.

Opeth set:

Devil's Orchard
I Feel the Dark
The Drapery Falls - snippet (after being heckled, Mikael played only the first verse, sped up)
Deliverance - snippet (same as Drapery Falls)
Face of Melinda
Porcelain Heart (extended drum solo)
Pyre
Throat of Winter
Credence
Deliverance - acoustic snippet
Closure
A Fair Judgement
Hex Omega

Encore:
Folklore

Last edited by InFlamesOfBirchmen; 10-01-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:42 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

I would totally consider crowdsurfing during Hex Omega. I think it's one of the heaviest songs off of Watershed, actually.

Sounds awesome, man! I got early entry tickets, so hopefully I have no problem getting on the rail. When you got merch after, though: were any of the things running out/sold out? I definitely wanna pick up the beanie and sweatshirt if I can.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Cool review. I think it's great that although everyone was up in arms about the set list initially, nearly everyone is coming back with positive reviews.
01.27 Dark Tranquillity
Old 09-30-2011, 09:46 PM
N00B

Apparently there was a rule that prohibited crowd surfing, and the venue did a good job of enforcing it. The dude was kind of a dick, anyway. When he fell to the floor, Mikael actually stopped the song and applauded.

As for merch, you should be fine. I was a bit nervous, but they pretty much had every t-shirt still in stock by the time I got there.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:56 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesOfBirchmen View Post
When he fell to the floor, Mikael actually stopped the song and applauded.
Is Mikael the best frontman in metal or what?
Old 10-01-2011, 06:08 AM
N00B

Katatonia mixed it up a bit. They replaced "Chrome, "We Must Bury You" and "My Twin" with "Sweet Nurse," "Evidence," and "Omerta."
Old 10-01-2011, 06:15 AM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesOfBirchmen View Post
As for merch, you should be fine. I was a bit nervous, but they pretty much had every t-shirt still in stock by the time I got there.
Did you see any shirts in a 2XL? If so, how much were they?
10/28 - Mike Watt
10/29 - Melvins
11/7 - 7 Seconds
Old 10-01-2011, 11:15 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampinUp46 View Post
Did you see any shirts in a 2XL? If so, how much were they?
Yeah, they still had some 2XL shirts by the time I got there, but they were sold out of them for a couple of the t-shirts, so you may wanna hit the merch booth up first just to be safe. All of the shirts are $20, except for the baseball shirt. The hoodies were $40.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:03 PM
N00B

Disappointing to see that Patterns in the Ivy II isn't in there, that's one of the ones I'm most looking forward to hearing on this tour. Hope they play it in Edmonton...
Old 10-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Žķestru

I fucking missed Katatonia because roadwork outside Atlanta had traffic backed up and stopped for well over an hour. I had already left Augusta later than I wanted to, because I had to stay at work longer than expected. Grrrr....

Opeth was amazing though. Since I knew what their setlist would be beforehand, I wasn't disappointed. Although I missed 'Patterns in the Ivy II'; 'Credence' was great; I just think they should have replaced 'The Throat of Winter' with 'Credence', instead of 'Patterns in the Ivy II'. Mikael was definitely hilarious and in good spirits, and the band performed wonderfully. Honestly, it felt less like I was watching a band on stage and more like I was hanging out with a bunch of cool people, five of whom happened to be playing great music. Another thing to note was the sound: it was perfect. Probably the best sound I've ever heard in all my years of going to shows. It was just loud enough to be powerful, just quiet enough to be clear. Every note was distinct. Bravo!

Tags
opeth