Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014

Old 10-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

1.Blood Mountain
2.Leviathan
3.Crack The Skye
4.The Hunter
5.Remission

They are my favorite band and I honestly love of all their albums. All 5 of these are pretty close in terms of quality.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 10-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

I've only listened to the whole thing twice now, and one thing is very very clear to me.

There is such a thing as a bad melody.

Seriously, I listen to songs like Blasteroid, and I think that that if they were on an Iron Maiden album or a Saxon album or some sort of traditional heavy metal bands album, it would be a lauded as that band's Quest For Fire or Suzie Hold On or some really awful song. It's like the band sat around going "hey lets see how many melodies or that riff sequence sounds like complete and utter shit."

I seriously don't want to be that guy, but I finally realize there's a reason most metal bands are supposed to stay in E or D or otherwise. They just sound fucking wrong, and it doesn't make you want to bang your head. And I also love how Blasteroid starts swearing randomly for no reason, even though swearing has never really been a part of Mastodon's chemistry. Like "oh shit we just made this song way too happy, we need to start swearing like crazy to show we aren't completely selling out."

As for the Creature Lives controversy, I must admit, it's nice and Christmassy. Perhaps because the vocals use the same chord sequence as Joy To The World. I can't decide if I genuinely like it or I ironically like it.

And the winner of "Song that rocks the hardest with the gayest songtitle ever" has been passed on from Heart of the Unicorn to Bedazzled Fingernails. Actually I'm pretty sure HOTU is still gayer. And that it still rocks harder. But well done with the subversion Mastodon, well done.

As for the album itself, it is what it is, but you know what it isn't? A return to Remission and Leviathan.

Last edited by JRA; 10-09-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:07 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Considering Remission and Leviathan already exist, negating ALL the statements the band made before the record was released, why did this record ever need to be a return to Remission or Leviathan's sound? Surely its better the band push forward and take risks with their sound, than re-hash old ground and become a one trick pony?
Old 10-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
Surely its better the band push forward and take risks with their sound, than re-hash old ground and become a one trick pony?

Then say that and stand by it. More people would respect them for that. But if you make statements pre-release that contradict what the product is, an entity deserves all the criticism it gets.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:16 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Then say that and stand by it. More people would respect them for that. But if you make statements pre-release that contradict what the product is, an entity deserves all the criticism it gets.
Judge the album by the album, and not what the band said it would or would not be.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Judge the album by the album, and not what the band said it would or would not be.

Nope. If we allow bands to get away with this shit uncriticized, there will be alot more Lars Ulrichs in the world.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:41 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Nope. If we allow bands to get away with this shit uncriticized, there will be alot more Lars Ulrichs in the world.
Not really, because unlike Lars Ulrich, Mastodon can actually still release a good record.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

A Lars Ulrich is someone who schemes and covers oneself in a heavy dose of bullshit and gets away with it because he has some valuable resource on his side, or because not nearly enough people with powerful platforms called him on it.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:31 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Not really, because unlike Lars Ulrich, Mastodon can actually still release a good record.
So because Mastodon is a better band than Metallica nowadays, it's OK for them to make claims about their music that are untrue?
Old 10-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Custom User Title

I look at this like I look at newer Opeth. The band wants to create prog rock, and it's good that they do what they want, but there's a small problem: they suck at it. I might warm up a bit to some of the singles if I listen to them more, but this is like Crack the Addiction for me, in that I couldn't finish the album the first time, couldn't finish the album when on a large amount of recreational drugs, and have no motivation to finish the album other then the fact that they were good once.

Mastodon album quality is inversely proportional to Mastodon band age.