The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014

Old 10-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
There's nothing wrong with liking Burn My Eyes better than a lackluster Vio-lence effort, but you said Machine Head as a band was what Vio-lence should have become. Considering Machine Head had done nothing but copy awful trend after awful trend up until The Blackening (and even then you could say they were being trendy because thrash was making a huge comeback in 2007), yea I stand by my opinion that that opinion is retarded.
That's cool. I'm glad you at least made a point. I can only judge what Vio-elnce became by 1 album. Oppressing the Masses is one of my Top 15 albums of all time so yeah I HATED what they became and the fact they gave into record label pressure and became a boring plod-a-long band on NtG.

Like I said I think Machine Head have created 2 of the 20 best cd's ever made and I'll stand by that 100%. I do agree they made a few clunkers while following trends but who is to say they wern't forced to do that to keep their label? I don't know, it's not like it didn't happen to Vio-lence.

We all have opinions and to me Machine Head has surpassed Vio-lence with their last 3 efforts. The 1st 2 cd's plus these 3 are as good as or better than 98% of the bands out there to me.

Hell the 2 clunkers are both better than Nothing to Gain so yeah...

Now I'm curious of either of the 2 Vio-lence albums are going to make your list and would be considered better than Master of Puppets. While most people would have MoP worlds over them both, I wouldn't....
Old 10-07-2011, 08:08 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Burn My Eyes is a classic record, easily my favorite from Machine Head. Vio-Lence and Machine Head are definitely two very different bands, comparing them doesn't seem fair to me.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Headbanger

Moving on. One of my favorite bands ever. Definitely the band I've waited the longest to see live. I often wonder if Sodom hadn't come along if I would have become a power/prog guy. I was hugely into Queensryche, Saxon, Metallica and owned Reign in Blood but only liked a few songs at 1st. My same friend who turned me onto Death turned me onto Sodom. In this case I was floored right from jump. It was cool having the lyrics there too. Not that Sodom are mensa members or even had decent english speaking skills at that point but the music fit the artwork and lyrics perfectly to me. As much as I love other Sodom releases, Persecution Mania will always be my favorite. I would also classify Mortal Way of Live as one of the 5 best live albums ever released. I played both of those cd's to death.

#39 - Sodom - Nuclear Winter
Old 10-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Now I'm curious of either of the 2 Vio-lence albums are going to make your list and would be considered better than Master of Puppets. While most people would have MoP worlds over them both, I wouldn't....

Eternal Nightmare almost made it.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Headbanger

Overkill and Pantera have 1 major connection with me. Both bands released songs on Headbangers Ball that I didn't really like but didn't let that 1 song turn me totally off from the band. With Overkill their song In Union We Stand was on Headbangers ball and I didn't like it at all. Overkill actually got me with the Fuck You EP. I picked it up for $5.99 and liked the faster live songs so I went out the next day and bought Taking Over. I couldn't believe how great this was compared to my 1st impression of them. To this day it's still my favorite Overkill album with The Years of Decay a close 2nd. This song is such a great way to start an album and incredible live.

#38 - Overkill - Deny the Cross

Last edited by jhdeity; 09-11-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Deny The Cross is indeed one of the best headbanging songs ever. Its almost like The Hellion/Electric Eye with that brick of an opening section, before giving away to a freight train of thrash.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:02 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Overkill and Pantera have 1 major connection with me. Both bands released songs on Headbangers Ball that I didn't really like but didn't let that 1 song turn me totally off from the band. With Overkill their song In Union We Stand was on Headbangers ball and I didn't like it at all. Overkill actually got me with the Fuck You EP. I picked it up for $5.99 and liked the faster live songs so I went out the next day and bought Taking Over. I couldn't believe how great this was compared to my 1st impression of them. To this day it's still my favorite Overkill album with The Years of Decay a close 2nd. This song is such a great way to start an album and incredible live.

#38 - Overkill - Deny the Cross
How awesome are the vocals during the second part of the verse? As vicious as they get.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
How awesome are the vocals during the second part of the verse? As vicious as they get.
No doubt. A lot of my friends don't like Blitz's vocals but that song truly shows his talents. I remember trying to sing that 2nd verse live and I thought my vocal chords were going to burst. hahaha
Old 10-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Headbanger

Rigor Mortis is a band who if they didn't open for Vio-lence I would have probably never heard of. I saw them on my concert ticket opening the show and I went out and bought their album just to see if they were worth checking out. I was obsessed with this album for 2 weeks straight. Loved the whole thing. Couldn't wait to see them live and made sure I was standing in front of the guitarist because I had to see with my own eyes if he could actually play that fast. I literally couldn't believe my eyes. One of my favorite opening acts ever and the fact I got to party with them after their set and before Vio-lence made this show one of my favorites of all time.

I didn't find out that was the same guitarist in Ministry until I actually saw them live and recognized him. I didn't know the other dude is in GWAR until GarageMetal posted it in his link. I always wondered what happened to these guys and cool to see some recent clips of them playing popping up. I added a 2nd clip I found which is really cool.

#37 - Rigor Mortis - Demons

This is a live clip from a DVD called The Birth of Dallas/Fort Worth Underground Metal with Phil singing with Rigor Mortis. Has anyone seen this dvd? I'm sure I'd love it.

Phil Anselmo with RM
Old 10-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Headbanger

The Top 35 are all epic masterpieces and this song as great as it is just couldn't make that cut. This band Souls at Zero is Wrathchild America forced to change their name and conform to keep their record deal. Yeah that shit happened back in the day. Total fucking bullshit moves by people who have no clue what good music is and what WE wanted to hear back then.

The music was similar to Wrathchild just more mid-tempo stuff with less and/or bland solo's. This was the only sloooooow song they did and I prefer this to any of their other stuff. This was also the last EP Shannon Larkin played drums on before selling his soul to join Ugly Kid Joe.

As simplistic as this song is, it just really works for me and Shannon would pound the living shit out of the drums when they played it live. Enjoy!

#36 - Souls at Zero - Underneath