Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014

Old 12-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura69 View Post
Damn dude that was a very epic and emotional story. Thanks for sharing that with us

ahahahahhaah Oh boy I can't wait to hear about the Tool concert. I have only seen Tool once but sadly it was at a big ass arena and I had nose bleeds too. I still had a blast but I just can't imagine how intense their shows were like at small little clubs like the one you attended. Damn, 10 bucks to see Tool at a lil' club during their prime(this was during the opiate era heh, did you ever go to the undertow/anema tours? I sure as hell hope you did!?)! I paid 50 bucks plus CONVENIENCE Charge to see them in 2006 during their 10,000 Days tour and I ended up getting nose bleeds

Still....It was an epic show indeed....and don't even get me started on the epic traserz,visuals and weird ass shit going on in the backround on their big ass wall.
Thanks man. This was the Undertow Tour but I had Opiate cd before Undertow and loved every song. I still lose my mind every time I hear Jerk-Off. That song just heightens every sense I have.

I've seen Tool 6 times and this was the only club show. My favorite was the headlining Aenima Tour. The Undertow show should have been the best show but that leads to Part 2 and my biggest regret... DOH!

My favorite Maiden tour was actually them opening for Priest on the Number of the Beast Tour. Hearing The Prisoner, Children of the Damned and Hallowed be Thy Name back-to-back-to-back was incredible and my favorite Maiden concert memory. Those 3 are still my 3 favorite Maiden songs ever penned. Bruce nailing every note of Children of the Damned in his prime was unreal!
Old 12-07-2011, 02:14 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Thanks Bro. Working on my story I stumbled upon these gems from my high school days. Some great memories from these shows.

I'm uber jelly that you saw RJD solo. That was the one concert I always wanted to go to but never got too. =/
Old 12-07-2011, 09:13 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Thanks man. This was the Undertow Tour but I had Opiate cd before Undertow and loved every song. I still lose my mind every time I hear Jerk-Off. That song just heightens every sense I have.
Yeah I'm like that with Intolerance and Prison sex. Love those songs. I remember back in middle school back in 01' just blasting anema/undertow in my headphones, heading off to do the days deed, whether it be in the class room or in the bus stop. My mom was the one who got me into them by the way(when i was living her in the middle east)...

Quote:
I've seen Tool 6 times and this was the only club show. My favorite was the headlining Aenima Tour.
Interesting? They didnt' do club tours during Aenima?

I have seen great quality videos of them performing 3rd Eye in 96' at the Glass House in Pomona. Pretty small venue which is 20 minutes away from my place. I have been there numerous times for shows and I can tell you it's what i would probably dub as a "club" show(or atleast for that period). Would have love to take a time machine back to 96' so i could be at that incredible show at such a small little shitter. 3rd Eye is my favorite Tool song, period.
11/14 - Slayer
Old 12-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura69 View Post
Yeah I'm like that with Intolerance and Prison sex. Love those songs. I remember back in middle school back in 01' just blasting anema/undertow in my headphones, heading off to do the days deed, whether it be in the class room or in the bus stop. My mom was the one who got me into them by the way(when i was living her in the middle east)...

Interesting? They didnt' do club tours during Aenima?

I have seen great quality videos of them performing 3rd Eye in 96' at the Glass House in Pomona. Pretty small venue which is 20 minutes away from my place. I have been there numerous times for shows and I can tell you it's what i would probably dub as a "club" show(or atleast for that period). Would have love to take a time machine back to 96' so i could be at that incredible show at such a small little shitter. 3rd Eye is my favorite Tool song, period.
Our Aenima Show was at the Baltimore Civic Center but we were later in the tour and they were blowing up then. We may have been 2nd Leg also.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:39 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nater View Post
I'm uber jelly that you saw RJD solo. That was the one concert I always wanted to go to but never got too. =/
Yeah The Last in Line isn't usually mentioned on "Greatest Albums" lists (rightfully so) but that tour and those few songs live were incredible. A song like Egypt was 20 times better live than on album.

That show he played mostly Holy Diver stuff and I'll never forget not liking Don't Talk to Strangers on album, I would skip it every time but that show it became one of my favorite Dio songs. Funny how that happens.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:51 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

I don't know how you could not love Don't Talk To Strangers on first listen.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:24 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
I don't know how you could not love Don't Talk To Strangers on first listen.
The intro mostly. It was like nails down a chalkboard to me. When I heard it live it didn't sound great but it sets up the song perfectly
Old 12-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Ok, here it is. The Best Concert Week of my life. Even though it could have been so much better if I didn't have to include my #1 concert regret of all-time.

I bought tickets in advance for all 3 shows. The 1st show I had to enter a lottery because Pearl Jam was in the midst of their ban on Ticketmaster and playing larger venues that supported Ticketmaster. I won the chance to buy 2 tickets to see them at the GMU PAtriot Center and was jakked to be seeing them in a small venue. Add to that finally being able to see Tool, the band I worshipped at the time at Hammerjacks followed by my favorite vocalist of all time Rob Halford and the mighty Anthrax with John Bush all playing the same nightclub. I knew I'd remember this week for the rest of my life but little did I know why...

I took 4 vacation days for this epic week. Both Fridays and 2 days for Tool because that was the night I was going to get rowdy and probably lose my mind. Tool is very emotional music to me and I'm not a very emotional person. Something about those Opiate songs tapped into a side of me that I loved. The same emotion I felt during Freedom when Zack from Rage Against the Machine would sing ANGER IS A GIFT! It's a combination of emotional, powerful lyrics with great riffs that is my favorite thing about music.

So, I wake up Friday, April 8th to start my epic concert week to the worst news. Kurt Cobain was found dead. I had recently bailed on seeing Nirvana live because they only played DC and I hated driving into DC. Not only was I sick that I didn't go to that show but I was fairly certain Pearl Jam would cancel their show that night. Eddie had been canceling shows for stomach issues and this was way worse than a belly ache I thought. I contacted GMU and they said the show was on. I wanted to know because it's a 90 min drive. I was still thinking it might get canceled but we soldiered on.

We get to the show and it's packed but very somber. You can feel the electricity but it was certainly an anticipation for a show that I've never felt. What was going to happen? Eddie came out by himself drunk as fuck and gave a very emotional, moving 5 minute speech about his friend Kurt and dedicated the show to him. They opened with Release and people were balling. I've never seen anything like it and actually had to fight back tears at one point. It was hard not to get caught up in the moment but after that they went on to play 2 hours and 30 plus minutes killing it all night. After 4 encores we were ready to leave and I said I need to stay to see if they play my favorite Pearl Jam song. I figured the odds were 20-1 that they would play ANY song after that epic performance and probably 50-1 it would be my song. They came out 1 last time and did Indifference and fucking KILLED IT!

I walked out of that venue with a feeling I've never had leaving a show. It was like satisfied, spent, happy, almost every emotion out there. This was my 3rd time seeing Pearl Jam and by far the best show they did. I still like their music but haven't seen them live since. After that night any show they would play just wouldn't compare for me. One of my 5 most incredible concert experiences of all time.

Sorry didn't expect such a diatribe. Part 2 coming later...
Part 2 finally...

So I took off work the day of and the day after Tool. I was so excited for this show that I started drinking around 2:pm and partied my ass off all day listening to Tool and playing Madden 94 probably. hahaha

Needless to say when I got to the show the opening act was kinda lame so I decided to turn it up a notch. I grabbed a nice spot on the rail upstairs and sent my girlfriend to the bar for some vodka and oj's

I guzzled 2 drinks before Tool came on and sent her up for 2 more. Little did I know she made these both doubles because I drank the other 2 so fast. This is where it goes bad...

Tool came out and opened with Cold & Ugly and I was totally into it. Next was Intolerance, Hush, Sober, Undertow and then Prison Sex. At this point I had finished both drinks and was having a blast scraming along and going ballistic. Then it began to go black.... They must have played Opiate or maybe Jerk-Off at this point because I lost it. I remember moshing, going nuts singing along but next thing I know I'm being carried out and I didn't seem to care. The next day I was hung over all day and full of regret.

One of the worst lessons I ever had to learn the hard way and it couldn't have come at much worse of a time historically. Now I drink beer at shows and do occasional shots but never mix jager and vodka anymore. Had to learn that one the hard way also...

Onto the Grand Finale of the Best Concert Week of my life... or what should have been. hahaha The mighty Rob Halford and Fight opening for Anthrax with John Bush for the 1st time live.

I loved Fight's 1st album and Sound of White Noise was every bit as good and I expected it to be. Fight came out and did a few songs off War of Worlds before jumping into a few Priest songs then finishing up with Fight. Every song was great and Halford killed it vocally. To see my favorite vocalist of all time on a club stage 10 feet away was incredible and he was so appreciative and humble, thanking the crowd over and over again.

Anthrax came out and I didn't know what to expect. My favorite Anthrax songs were still Joey's songs so I was hoping for a nice mix and they did just that. Bush even made some of Joey's songs sound heavier and more powerful live. They opened with Potters Field and it sounded so crushing and loud. Other highlights were AIR, Hy Pro Glo, Sodium Pentothal, NFL and Among The Living among others.

Overall a great show and the perfect atonement for my Tool debacle. I'll never forget that week for many reasons but sadly as great as those shows were I couldn't possibly regret missing half of Tool on the Undertow Tour more than I do. The fact that Tool rarely plays any of those songs live anymore just makes it worse. I've seen Tool 5 times since then and every time they do a "noise type interlude" I think to myself how I'd kill to hear Opiate or Jerk-Off instead of a bunch of retarded feedback. Doh!
Old 12-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

I'd pay full price just to hear Sweat.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
I'd pay full price just to hear Sweat.
Now that you mention it that might have been the last song I went ballistic to. They usually did Opiate and/or Jerk-Off towards the end of the shows back then.

They seriously need to bring some of those songs back into their sets for the long time fans.