Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014

Old 11-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Excellent pick. In terms of Overkill's doom songs, I like Drunken Wisdom just a little bit more, with that Beavis & Butthead style riff at the beginning.
Yeah I love that song too. Wish they played both songs live more often
1/28 - Machine Head
Old 11-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Headbanger

#3 could have easily been Postmortem/Raining Blood but I wanted to stick to a strict 3 songs per band limit and in Slayer's case I chose 1 from each of their 1st 3 masterpiece albums. The main reason I chose Altar/Jesus over the others is simple... seat cushion hell.

I'm sure most people have heard about or have seen video of the Felt Forum in '88 when fans tore up the seat cushions and were winging them all over the place and at the band. If not I included an infamous clip with Tom's classic speech from that night.

Well not many people know that this happened at many places on that tour and even on the Clash of the Titans tour. Apparently the word didn't get around back then.

So the Mensa members at The Baltimore Arena decide to put 40 rows of seats in front of the stage with a general admission pit behind the seats with the seats guarded by 10 security guys. My buddy scored 8th row seats so I was jakked to be able to headbang while standing on my seats and have a great view with no chance of taking a Doc to the noggin. Little did I know...

The 1st few songs were great. They opened with mostly newer stuff and the crowd was nuts but not much crazier than they were for Megadeth. Once Altar of Sacrifice started that all changed...

1st people started bumrushing the guards and rows of seats. This made the entire section of seats move. People were falling off their seats and jumping down to not get hurt. I refused and rode that shit like a surfboard. They must have been doing a Wall of Death type charge because several times we got ROCKED and had to grab people or the seat backs in front of us to stay up. At this point the people in the back rows bailed. They either went up into the reserved seating, back into the pit or pushed upwards into the aisle. It was total chaos. I was so happy to hear my favorite song at the time that I didn't care. I was jamming out and praying they went right into Jesus Saves and didn't break it up like they always did with Postmortem & Raining Blood.

As soon as they went into the 1st chords of Jesus Saves I was a pig in slop. I was so happy and ready to belt out every word at a million miles a minute then as soon as I was ready to go ballistic I got clobbered in the back of the head by a seat cushion. POW! I was like WTF? I turned around and people were winging cushions like frisbees all over the place. The guards were gone and it was total chaos behind me. I didn't care. I could tough it out for 3 more minutes. I jammed out like a lunatic to Jesus Saves taking a few grazing shots but nothing major. After that song they stopped the show and made the pit people retreat long enough to grab as many cushions as they could and restored order for the rest of the show for the most part.

Definitely a concert moment I'll never forget and when I got hold of a bootleg copy of the NYC Felt Forum show I laughed because it brought back so many memories. Needless to say no venue after the Clash of the Titans Tour ever had removeable cushions on the floor and if they did I bet they wouldn't let Slayer play there. You can pretty much thank Slayer for Gen Adm floors at venues around the world now too. Reason #28 why Slayer FUCKING RULES!

#3 - Slayer - Altar of Sacrifice/Jesus Saves

Slayer - Angel of Seat Cushion Hell
1/28 - Machine Head

Last edited by jhdeity; 09-11-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Damn, that's a crazy story.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Headbanger

Sadus comes in at #2. The 1st time I heard Certain Death I was in awe. I knew instantly that Sadus would become one of my favorite bands. I remember when I finally got to see them live I was so pissed they were the opener over Obituary for Sepultura. Sadus had 2 albums and Obituary only had 1 so I didn't get it. Plus I wasn't a fan of Obituary's vocals back then so having to sit through them after Sadus was borderline painful for me. Sadus put on a great show and did 8 or 9 songs. Certain Death was the encore and it was the highlight of the night for me.

I recently put my Sepultura shirt from that show on ebay:

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=18787

but I'll never get rid of my Sadus shirt from that night. I had to walk 4 blocks to my car in the heart of DC with those shirts in hand. I remember mean muggin' every bum and vagrant who even looked at me while walking. I wasn't sure if I would have fought or ran but no one was getting those shirts. hahaha

#2 - Sadus - Certain Death
1/28 - Machine Head
Old 11-28-2011, 06:50 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Sadus comes in at #2. The 1st time I heard Certain Death I was in awe. I knew instantly that Sadus would become one of my favorite bands. I remember when I finally got to see them live I was so pissed they were the opener over Obituary for Sepultura. Sadus had 2 albums and Obituary only had 1 so I didn't get it. Plus I wasn't a fan of Obituary's vocals back then so having to sit through them after Sadus was borderline painful for me. Sadus put on a great show and did 8 or 9 songs. Certain Death was the encore and it was the highlight of the night for me.

I recently put my Sepultura shirt from that show on ebay:

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=18787

but I'll never get rid of my Sadus shirt from that night. I had to walk 4 blocks to my car in the heart of DC with those shirts in hand. I remember mean muggin' every bum and vagrant who even looked at me while walking. I wasn't sure if I would have fought or ran but no one was getting those shirts. hahaha

#2 - Sadus - Certain Death

Yeah bro I'm there with you. Sadus is one of those bands that I like to call "Love at first sight", I still remember when I got swallowed in black. Just like Sepultura and slayer, I instantly knew these guys would be one of my all time favorites. Plus I gotta thank my Cousin who was the one who truly got me into them. Fuck Man i'm still waiting on the day I get to see the all mighty Sadus. I wish I got into them more a couple years back or else I would have totally took the road trip with my cuzin and his friends to go see them headline this Metal festival in San Fransisco(mind you, San Fran is like 7 hours away from me which is why i said roadtrip).
11/14 - Slayer
Old 11-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura69 View Post
Yeah bro I'm there with you. Sadus is one of those bands that I like to call "Love at first sight", I still remember when I got swallowed in black. Just like Sepultura and slayer, I instantly knew these guys would be one of my all time favorites. Plus I gotta thank my Cousin who was the one who truly got me into them. Fuck Man i'm still waiting on the day I get to see the all mighty Sadus. I wish I got into them more a couple years back or else I would have totally took the road trip with my cuzin and his friends to go see them headline this Metal festival in San Fransisco(mind you, San Fran is like 7 hours away from me which is why i said roadtrip).
No doubt man. I'd kill to see them again. Even with the new proggy stuff.
1/28 - Machine Head
Old 11-30-2011, 09:29 AM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Alright my friend...

I think it's time..........

NUMBUH ONE, BABY. NUMBUH ONE!!!!

By the way... before you finish off this fantastic thread with the grand finale....I just wanted to say that I HAVE been scoping this thread out for awhile now and it has definitely been a great read my friend. Dude you are seriously the number one mother fucker when it comes to telling epic show stories. I personally loved the "Escape to the Void/sepultura" one and The one where you were wearing your metallica RTL shirt at a Suicidal Tendancies gig....oh and don't get me started with Slayer and Seat Cushions. Good stuff my friend.
11/14 - Slayer
Old 11-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura69 View Post
Alright my friend...

I think it's time..........

NUMBUH ONE, BABY. NUMBUH ONE!!!!

By the way... before you finish off this fantastic thread with the grand finale....I just wanted to say that I HAVE been scoping this thread out for awhile now and it has definitely been a great read my friend. Dude you are seriously the number one mother fucker when it comes to telling epic show stories. I personally loved the "Escape to the Void/sepultura" one and The one where you were wearing your metallica RTL shirt at a Suicidal Tendancies gig....oh and don't get me started with Slayer and Seat Cushions. Good stuff my friend.
Thanks man. I really appreciate it. #1 coming tonight and it's from the best show I've ever seen!
1/28 - Machine Head
Old 11-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Headbanger

Here it is... My #1 favorite headbanging song from the Best show I ever attended.

My goal was to finish this list at the end of November before everyone started their Year End lists and I got 1 out of 2 right. hahahahaha Seriously though I'm glad to see so many lists and enjoy checking them all out. The more lists, the merrier! Props for everyone for starting so early this year. I usually don't let other peoples lists influence me very much but 2011 will be that exception. I did a Top 20 in March or April I think and I'm not sure if any of those picks would still be up there. There was so much good music released in 2011 yet nothing that totally blew my mind either. I predict this year will be our most diverse lists to date.

On to #1 on my list. There have been many Metallica debates on here throughout the years. Most commonly is which Metallica album is the best. From memory and recent lists it seems Ride The Lightning is the choice and I totally see why. The album is borderline perfection even though I made a decent argument for Master of Puppets on the Damage Inc post I think.

That being said my favorite Metallica album is Kill Em All. If I were to do a Top 100 albums I'd guess it would be #3 for me All-Time. When you factor in the newer cd versions with Am I Evil and Blitzkreig it takes it up a solid notch. I just love the speed, riffs, solos and lyrics of every song on that album.

I reviewed this entire show on the site back in 2009. The highlight of the show was Metal Militia with the Metal up your Ass sing-a-long. My entire life I've hated sing-a-longs like they do with Searching.... and when bands do the whole which side can scream louder. That shit is so cliche' but that sing-a-long that night was EPIC! Plus they gave us the history of wanting to name the album Metal Up Your Ass but the record company wouldn't let them. That made them even cooler to me and gave the sing-a-long meaning. Nothing cooler than saying Fuck You to record companies!

Here's a link to my concert review of the best show I've ever attended including my #1 favorite headbanging song of All Time. Thanks for checking it out and playing along.

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=11425

#1 - Metallica - Metal Militia

Metal Militia Live Baltimore 1985 with the Metal Up Your Ass sing-a-long!!

Metal Militia Live - Metal Up Your Ass
1/28 - Machine Head

Last edited by jhdeity; 11-30-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:42 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Awesome fucking list man! For the most part your picks were fantastic and I fucking loved the stories!