Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen + Adam Lambert - Toronto, ON - July 28th, 2014
Warped Tour -- Auburn Hills, MI -- July 18th, 2014
Megadeth -- Denver, CO -- September 16th, 2007
Queen -- Atlantic City, NJ -- July 26th, 2014
Touche Amore -- Lawrence, KS -- July 27th, 2014

Old 11-12-2011, 07:40 AM
N00B

I love The Preacher and Testament, but when I saw them live they were so fucking loud it ruined it for me.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nater View Post
I love this topic. I actually just got home from seeing Testament for my first time. Everything you typed up is exactly on par with me except the 23 people part because there were over 500 at this maybe 1000 I don't know it was packed. I died during into the Pit because that was right where I went.

Also your list has shown me a ton of awesome bands to listen too
Awesome man. I've seen the're opening with The Preacher now. Kinda cool but Into the Pit just really seemed to throw me into a frenzy and set up the rest of the set perfectly. I give them credit for mixing it up though.
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther
Old 11-12-2011, 10:00 AM
N00B

Yes they are! I don't mind Into the pit in the middle because it comes right after Over the Wall so that gets them all pushing forward then the entire place became a frenzy when Into the Pit started.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:34 AM
Headbanger

#14 made the cut for many reasons. I remember when I 1st listened to Master of Puppets and It was virtually the same exact blueprint Metallica had established with Ride the Lightning for the 1st half. You had Battery which mirrored Fight Fire with Fire to me. The title track 2nd. The Thing and Bell Tolls were somewhat similar and Fade to Black and Sanitarium are probably the most similar of all even though I prefer Fade much more.

Flipping over to Side 2 Disposable Heroes blew me away. Worlds better than Trapped Under Ice to me and I'm a pretty big fan of TUI. I think I actually listened to Disposable a 2nd time before venturing on. Leper and Escape were similar to me, I actually really like both songs and Orion was the mega instrumental to match Ktulu.

At this point I'm like how can they possibly match Creeping Death? In all reality they can't. That song is legendary in my eyes and as intelligent as they are they knew that and chose to go a different direction. When Damage Inc. started I was really skeptical and doubting they could finish up strong and fully match the brilliance of RTL and somehow they did.

I didn't expect a blistering explosion of thrash to finish the album. I really underestimated them I guess. I wasn't the biggest fan of the lyrics at 1st but they grow on you. Like I mentioned in JRA's thread I consider Master my 3rd favorite Metallica album for personal reasons and how the music shaped my life but if I had a gun to my head I think I could make one helluva debate why Master of Puppets is the greatest album ever made. It's just that good...

#14 - Metallica - Damage Inc.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:22 AM
Headbanger

In all my years of going to shows there is one moment over all the rest that truly made me lose my mind from jump. Before this site (or the internet for that matter) you would go to a show and hope you heard you favorite songs with no clue what was coming most times.

This tour was Pantera at their highest peak and while you didn't know which Phil you were going to get any given night you still knew they were going to bring it and destroy shit.

When Suicide Note Part 1 came over the PA I immediately turned to my friend and said move your beers because if they break right into Part 2 I'm going to go totally ballistic. There are only a handful of songs they set up other songs on that level and when the lights came on showing the pot leaves on the screen the tension elevated to a solid 9. When the curtain dropped and they blew into Part 2 it was total chaos. I was going nuts moshing out and singing along. The people on the lawn started heaving huge chunks of sod like they were shotputs and frisbees and I didn't care at all. I was in another state of mind screaming my lungs outlike a lunatic. What a way to start a show and get the crowd out of their seats going crazy.

I'll never forget that moment and wish other music could whip me into a frenzy like that on a regular basis. If Pantera proved one thing to me as a human it's that we all have a monster inside of us you just need to know how to trigger it. I knew if 2 guys were trying to rob me in a bathroom or whatever that I had that lunatic inside of me and could unleash him if I had to.

Dude would be like we had this guy cornered and his eyes turned crazy and he started screaming OUT OF MY MIND! GUN TO MY MOUTH! NO PRETENSION! EXECUTION! LIVE AND LEARN! RAPE AND TURN! while kicking and throwing haymakers at us. We just bailed. Crazy MoFo! hahahaha

This clip gives you an idea but still can't truly match the power of being there. it was an experience like none other...

#13 Pantera - Suicide Note Part 2
Old 11-14-2011, 07:26 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Dude, I love how you include all these personal stories in with the songs. Really cool.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
Dude, I love how you include all these personal stories in with the songs. Really cool.
Thanks man. I tried to do something a little different. Most of my favorite songs are defined by seeing/hearing them live.

Of all the songs in the list the next one would be #1 on my wish list of songs I'd kill to see live. Maybe someday...
Old 11-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

I can only listen to the live version of this song because the way they fade it out I always thought was kind of lame (fading out songs is lame period, I'd totally be on the Stranger In A Strange Land = best song ever bandwagon if they didn't do that shit). They way the cold end it really puts a solid explanation point on the whole thing.

That closing riff set does rule though.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:11 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Intersting story. I go to pick my buddy who was a hardcore punk rocker with huge mohawk for this show. He sees my Metallica - Ride the Lightning Tour shirt and tells me that I'm going to get the living shit beat outta me at the show. I tell him he's crazy and that this is the coolest shirt I own and he said metalheads get pummeled at punk shows. I laugh and say I'll be fine headbanging, singing along and minding my own business. As we walk up to the door at a place called The Bank, the guy taking our $10 tells me for my own good I should turn my shirt inside out. At this point I'm like WTF? Really? Had I not been wasted I might have done it at that point but decided not to. Bottom line I got some mean mugging looks and took a few direct hits from moshers but stood my ground and had an incredible time.
10/19 - D.R.I
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer
Old 11-15-2011, 01:58 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
#14 made the cut for many reasons. I remember when I 1st listened to Master of Puppets and It was virtually the same exact blueprint Metallica had established with Ride the Lightning for the 1st half. You had Battery which mirrored Fight Fire with Fire to me. The title track 2nd. The Thing and Bell Tolls were somewhat similar and Fade to Black and Sanitarium are probably the most similar of all even though I prefer Fade much more.

Flipping over to Side 2 Disposable Heroes blew me away. Worlds better than Trapped Under Ice to me and I'm a pretty big fan of TUI. I think I actually listened to Disposable a 2nd time before venturing on. Leper and Escape were similar to me, I actually really like both songs and Orion was the mega instrumental to match Ktulu.

At this point I'm like how can they possibly match Creeping Death? In all reality they can't. That song is legendary in my eyes and as intelligent as they are they knew that and chose to go a different direction. When Damage Inc. started I was really skeptical and doubting they could finish up strong and fully match the brilliance of RTL and somehow they did.

I didn't expect a blistering explosion of thrash to finish the album. I really underestimated them I guess. I wasn't the biggest fan of the lyrics at 1st but they grow on you. Like I mentioned in JRA's thread I consider Master my 3rd favorite Metallica album for personal reasons and how the music shaped my life but if I had a gun to my head I think I could make one helluva debate why Master of Puppets is the greatest album ever made. It's just that good...

#14 - Metallica - Damage Inc.
Dude, it's like you stole the words from my mouth! You're so right. Damage Inc is my 2nd favorite Metallica song, VERY close behind Fire Fire With Fire. And as far as your arguement about this being one of the, if not THE, greatest album ever made, I would be on your side in the debate match

Quote:
In all my years of going to shows there is one moment over all the rest that truly made me lose my mind from jump. Before this site (or the internet for that matter) you would go to a show and hope you heard you favorite songs with no clue what was coming most times.

This tour was Pantera at their highest peak and while you didn't know which Phil you were going to get any given night you still knew they were going to bring it and destroy shit.

When Suicide Note Part 1 came over the PA I immediately turned to my friend and said move your beers because if they break right into Part 2 I'm going to go totally ballistic. There are only a handful of songs they set up other songs on that level and when the lights came on showing the pot leaves on the screen the tension elevated to a solid 9. When the curtain dropped and they blew into Part 2 it was total chaos. I was going nuts moshing out and singing along. The people on the lawn started heaving huge chunks of sod like they were shotputs and frisbees and I didn't care at all. I was in another state of mind screaming my lungs outlike a lunatic. What a way to start a show and get the crowd out of their seats going crazy.

I'll never forget that moment and wish other music could whip me into a frenzy like that on a regular basis. If Pantera proved one thing to me as a human it's that we all have a monster inside of us you just need to know how to trigger it. I knew if 2 guys were trying to rob me in a bathroom or whatever that I had that lunatic inside of me and could unleash him if I had to.

Dude would be like we had this guy cornered and his eyes turned crazy and he started screaming OUT OF MY MIND! GUN TO MY MOUTH! NO PRETENSION! EXECUTION! LIVE AND LEARN! RAPE AND TURN! while kicking and throwing haymakers at us. We just bailed. Crazy MoFo! hahahaha

This clip gives you an idea but still can't truly match the power of being there. it was an experience like none other...

#13 Pantera - Suicide Note Part 2

Awesome story! I love both Pt 1 and Pt 2. I have a bunch of DVD bootlegs from that tour you speak of, and just WATCHING it, the build up from Pt 1, and then the absolute chaos that begins w/ the machine guns drums and screeching guitars of Pt 2, I can only imagine how amazing it must've been to see it in person

07/28-Cannibal Corpse (?)
08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm