Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014

  #61  
Old 10-10-2011, 01:33 PM
BloodoftheKings's Avatar
BloodoftheKings BloodoftheKings is offline
Rats off to ya
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Strong Island
Posts: 5,942
I prefer more albums in one day, no thread has to go on for 6 months.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-10-2011, 04:18 PM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is online now
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,848
Actually that's exactly it. I wanted to knock this thing out in a month and I figured three albums per day would do that.



86. Death- Individual Thought Patterns


This is a case similar to Morbid Angel in that not every song is a stone cold classic, but every song that is a killer on here is easily in the top 500 metal songs of all time (good lord imagine that list). Right around here is when Chuck really started to shed most of his death metal tendencies to become more of a tech-thrash band like Watchtower. Itís in fact very debatable whether or not itís death metal at all. Some would argue that it deserves to be recognized because it had Death on the album cover and itís one of the highest selling death metal albums of all time. Hell for many people in the 90ís this was probably the introductory album to many fans for Death. And of course when fans love an album like this, theyíre only gonna dig deeper to find out what the man had put out before! And considering thereís nothing offensive by metal standards on here (like rappers or DJís or excessive groove sections) that makes it one of the best gateway metal albums ever.

Two additional details need to be addressed. The first are the lyrics to this album, which are so filled with disgust and vitriol that Chuck has never been angrier. Whatís even more incendiary is the fact that itís easy to figure out that most of these are directed at staunch supporters of extreme metal who thought Chuck had sold out with Human. Well if they thought that album was too progressive, only modern day troll and rage internet pictures could describe what they felt about this album!

The other detail is the lineup. The album line up reads like a MVP sports team for extreme metal musicians! Steve Digorio on bass, Gene Hoglan on drums, and legendary King Diamond guitarist Andy LaRoque on lead guitar doing dueling solos with Chuck! Can anyone imagine a similar lineup to this today? Kind of depressing when you think about it.

Recommended track:
Trapped In A Corner
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-11-2011, 06:50 AM
GarageMetal468's Avatar
GarageMetal468 GarageMetal468 is offline
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Come on, guys, more posts. Even if you don't like the album/ think its too low or too high.



87. Possessed- Seven Churches

I suppose I love Seven Churches more than Pierced From Within because itís more pure thrash metal with guttural vocals, and thus the songs are more distinguishable and memorable. But even then, fuckin A these riffs are demonic and evil. Even though there are four more Slayer albums to come on this list, I gurantee you they heard this album and became super jealous that they didnít come up with each and every one of the riffs on display. Possessed were also at times taking the satanic and hell lyrical subjects to far more terrifying levels than Slayer did on fucking Hell Awaits, their most evil album! Maybe thatís why Slayer began to shy away, they thought ďoh shit, if these guys are at this level now, imagine what theyíll be like on their next album!Ē

Well sadly, Possessedís second album went more in the direction of crossover punk thrash and thus they lost a lot of the brutality that made them great in the first place, the first bullet of many that ended this great bandís depressingly short career. But this album is a time-honored classic that will never be forgotten by the metal elite. Hail the Seven Churches!

Recommended track:
Holy Hell


Hell yeah, this one is an amazing classic!
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/nucleusmetal
http://nucleus.bandcamp.com/album/the-colony
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-11-2011, 06:55 AM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is online now
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,848


85. Black Sabbath- Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath

Iím sure to many people it seems like blasphemy that any of the first six Sabbath albums appearing in the bottom 15 seems like blasphemy, but on a strictly musical level, and despite one of the most sinister album covers ever, Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath is wildly inconsistent. Yes there are the classic bone crushing Sabbath tracks like the title track and Killing Yourself to Live, but the rest is very much an experimental Sabbath at work. Some of the experiments are brilliant, such as the acoustic riff based (and surprisingly positive) Spiral Architect, the 70ís prog rock of Sabbara Caddabra, but then there are some really bad songs, like Fluff (easily the worst Ozzy Sabbath instrumental) and the synth driven Who Are You (which was actually written by Ozzy all by himself). Iím sure the masses of Sabbath fans werenít bothered too much by the changes, since after reading several Sabbath history texts no indication was ever made. On itís own, the album is better than most, but it just wasnít as good as the previous four Sabbath albums (nor as the one after this one. . .)

Recommended Track:
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-11-2011, 07:37 AM
daimonos's Avatar
daimonos daimonos is offline
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,598
I've never understood why Spiral Architect gets the praise it does. A National Acrobat is the true gem of the album.

Great pick though.
__________________
I've lost track of just about everything.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Sanitarium78's Avatar
Sanitarium78 Sanitarium78 is offline
Concert Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
I prefer more albums in one day, no thread has to go on for 6 months.
I wasn't talking about making it go that long. But if he put up two albums at the same time everyday and then gave everyone a day to respond it still would be done by next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post


85. Black Sabbath- Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath

Iím sure to many people it seems like blasphemy that any of the first six Sabbath albums appearing in the bottom 15 seems like blasphemy, but on a strictly musical level, and despite one of the most sinister album covers ever, Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath is wildly inconsistent. Yes there are the classic bone crushing Sabbath tracks like the title track and Killing Yourself to Live, but the rest is very much an experimental Sabbath at work. Some of the experiments are brilliant, such as the acoustic riff based (and surprisingly positive) Spiral Architect, the 70ís prog rock of Sabbara Caddabra, but then there are some really bad songs, like Fluff (easily the worst Ozzy Sabbath instrumental) and the synth driven Who Are You (which was actually written by Ozzy all by himself). Iím sure the masses of Sabbath fans werenít bothered too much by the changes, since after reading several Sabbath history texts no indication was ever made. On itís own, the album is better than most, but it just wasnít as good as the previous four Sabbath albums (nor as the one after this one. . .)

Recommended Track:
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Nice pick but too low. Sure there are a few weaker songs on it, I don't even consider Fluff a factor when I think about how good the album is. Looking For Today and Who Are You are OK songs. My least favorite is Sabbara Cadabbra, the song has just never done anything for me.

Also, no mention of A National Acrobat in your write up
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-11-2011, 08:48 AM
jhdeity's Avatar
jhdeity jhdeity is offline
Headbanger
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pasadena, MD
Posts: 3,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonos View Post
I've never understood why Spiral Architect gets the praise it does. A National Acrobat is the true gem of the album.

Great pick though.
I'll just say this. I learned that certain Sabbath songs were created in alternate states of mind and were meant to be heard in altered states of mind.

My favorite Sabbath song ever is Megalomania. People who have never heard that song "altered" might not get the emotion and pure genius of that song. That's what makes Sabbath so incredible to me is that everyone has different favorite songs for different reasons.

As far as Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. My 2 favorite songs were always SBS and National Acrobat but Spiral Architect is one of those songs you have to experience. It's one of my 10 favorite Sabbath songs now. That's my opinion on why it gets so much praise. I think even straight it's the kind of song that grows on you. I didn't even like it for years and now I love the emotion it evokes in me.
__________________
9/27 - Clutch
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Rocco44's Avatar
Rocco44 Rocco44 is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 637
Great list so far. Love Individual Thought Patterns and how audible the bass is.
__________________
9/15 Agalloch
9/29 Defeater
10/2 ASIWYFA
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-11-2011, 09:14 AM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is online now
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Also, no mention of A National Acrobat in your write up
Sorry. That is actually one of the better songs from that album. I just don't feel like doing a track by track breakdown of these albums. I just try my best to keep it between 150-400 words. It is a great tune though.

And Jhdeity, Megalomania is easily in my top 10 of Sabbath songs and I've never heard it stoned or drunk. Never needed to.
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"

Last edited by JRA; 10-11-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-11-2011, 10:32 AM
daimonos's Avatar
daimonos daimonos is offline
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
I'll just say this. I learned that certain Sabbath songs were created in alternate states of mind and were meant to be heard in altered states of mind.

My favorite Sabbath song ever is Megalomania. People who have never heard that song "altered" might not get the emotion and pure genius of that song. That's what makes Sabbath so incredible to me is that everyone has different favorite songs for different reasons.

As far as Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. My 2 favorite songs were always SBS and National Acrobat but Spiral Architect is one of those songs you have to experience. It's one of my 10 favorite Sabbath songs now. That's my opinion on why it gets so much praise. I think even straight it's the kind of song that grows on you. I didn't even like it for years and now I love the emotion it evokes in me.
Trust me man, you don't have to talk to me about listening to Sabbath in an 'altered state of mind'. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was the first Sabbath album I ever bought when I was eight, and when I rediscovered it the summer before my senior year, I got reacquainted with it by spending my day in a camping chair in the middle of the woods by a pond with my bong and my iPod. Good times. That being said, I like Spiral Architect alot, I could just never figure out why it's alot of peoples favorite.

__________________
I've lost track of just about everything.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:57 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008