Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Old 10-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Bring Me The Horizon > Opeth

E!
04/24 - Iron Reagan
05/13 - SLAYER
Old 10-08-2011, 03:57 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
E!
LIMINATION!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 06:48 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

91. Sepultura- Beneath The Remains

Some argue this album is death metal, others argue that its thrash. I argue who the fuck cares! I suppose such a topic really warrants discussion if you have that much of a stick up your ass about guttural vocals (like me and tempos), but Max sounds more like typical thrash barking than anything else.

But yes, sweet, sweet Beneath The Remains. This album is like a cook book of vicious ways to crush your enemies. Perhaps you prefer the popular sledgehammer form of Inner Self. Perhaps you prefer the simple but effective method of fast fist pummeling like in Primitive Future. Or maybe the technique of stabbing your enemies repeatedly in the skull on display in Slaves of Pain suits your purposes. Or maybe you just prefer to fuck your enemies with riffs, as displayed in the title trackÖand everywhere else in this album.

As I mentioned in the Nespithe column, the one flaw is that most of the songs sound the same because of the mass-stacking of ideas. Sure if you listen to this album all the way through you will know where you are, but if a song comes on Sirius XM or you happen to put your iPod on shuffle, thereís an 80% chance you arenít gonna know what song it is. Doesnít matter, even though this album is basically the same song 9 times, my fucking God . . . WHAT A SONG!!

Recommended Song:
Slaves Of Pain
Old 10-09-2011, 06:56 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

I fucking love Beneath The Remains so fucking much. One of the best thrash albums ever fucking made.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

90. Bathory- The Return...

One tends to notice that of the early Bathory records, the self titled and Under The Sign of the Black Mark get the most praise. This one gets suspiciously ignored. Usually the complaints are lauded at the production. I certainly hope these arenít the same people that love Transilvanian Hunger and Filosofem for their minimalism, because minimalism is sort of a point for black metal. Yes the production and the guitar sound is a little odd, but that doesnít stop it from being a great record. You could almost argue that this is the first true black metal album because while the ideas arenít as streamlined as on Black Mark, most of the Venom tendencies are gone, and the fast sections are played faster than Slayer would ever hope to do, even in 1985! Songwriting wise, itís has a tad more variety than the first album, but itís not the pleothra of different ideas as on Black Mark. In fact thatís pretty much this album in a nut shell, better than the first album, but not quite as good as the one that came after it.

Recommended track:
Born For Burning
Old 10-09-2011, 11:16 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Sure if you listen to this album all the way through you will know where you are, but if a song comes on Sirius XM or you happen to put your iPod on shuffle, thereís an 80% chance you arenít gonna know what song it is. Doesnít matter, even though this album is basically the same song 9 times, my fucking God . . . WHAT A SONG!!
Disagree with this. Love the album but find its songs pretty distinct. The riffs are memorable enough to pick the songs out by, I think.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Disagree with this. Love the album but find its songs pretty distinct. The riffs are memorable enough to pick the songs out by, I think.
Some songs are more distinct than others, either because they're "singles" or live staples or deep cuts you really like. That's why I chose to knock the percentage number down from the typical 99% to 80%, and maybe I should have gone lower.

Actually a perfect example was when I was driving in my Dad's car listening to Ian Christe's metal show and Sepultura came on. I knew damn well it was a song from Beneath The Remains, but couldn't identify which one until the chorus (and even now I still don't remember what it was, but it was like 2 or 3 years ago so...yea).
Old 10-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
E!
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
LIMINATION!!!

Old 10-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

89. Suffocation- Pierced From Within

Probably the most recent album Iíve acquired to make the list, Pierced From Within is a solid mass of steel with random beams poking through out the sides that innocent bystanders perforate themselves on upon hearing it. This is genre defining brutal death metal. Fast but controlled blast beats, guttural vocals, thick chunky riffs, disturbing subject matter, and most importantly thrash rhythms. To me death metal is really just an advanced thrash with extra brutal and atonal tendencies put there for the sake of pushing the music even further. Why else would people still be moshing to it and be completely justified in doing so? Of course, no Suffocation review is complete without discussion of the Breakdowns. Many claim that Suffocationís breakdowns are where most modern deathcore music comes from. Itís so odd to me that a band merely showing off their prog influences/introducing a section to take a break from speed could be responsible for something so awful. But the thing is these breakdowns are the most grooveless, vicious breakdowns ever conceived. Personally I think itís good that they have no groove, it ratchets up the tension and forces the listener to bang their head with the snare drum regardless of feel, and thatís what metal is all about.

Reccommended track:
Thrones of Blood
Old 10-10-2011, 01:56 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

I love so many of those old school DM album covers but I feel like the music never has the impact the covers do.
5/21 - Primus
6/28 - Iron Maiden - Bergen, Norway
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg