Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen - Atlantic City, NJ -- July 26th, 2014
Touche Amore -- Lawrence, KS -- July 27th, 2014
Machine Head -- Toledo, OH -- July 18th, 2014
MayhemFest -- Clarkston, MI -- July 17th, 2014
Winger -- Portland, ME -- July 26th, 2014

Old 11-23-2011, 04:12 PM
...So let the children come to me, their mother loves me so shall they...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Thank you again good sir.

HM2. Autopsy- Mental Funeral

If I could go back and redo the list, the only thing I’d probably change is I’d substitute Suffocation’s Pierced From Within for this. I actually had this album as I was first writing the list, but it was too soon. This album has slightly more character than Pierced in that with this album, there is 100% the atmosphere of death and rotting flesh. Autopsy are kind of unsung geniuses in while all their peers were trying to be as fast and brutal as possible, Chris Reifert asks, “Um, yea...isn’t this sub-genre supposed to be scary?” There needs to be a setup of tension before the shock in classic horror, and to utilize that, these guys incorporate elements of doom, making their songs not only extremely creepy, but memorable as well. This is grade Z-schlock, and I mean that in the best possible way.

Recommended Song:
In The Grip of Winter

Great choice dude. Its amazing how sludgy this album is for a death metal album!

And that artwork is !
A Broken Team
No Word Said
A Silent Vow
We Loved You Then
We Love You Now
Old 11-24-2011, 07:43 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

HM3. Black Sabbath: Dehumanizer

It was a bit of a bummer to not include any Dio Sabbath in my list. I honestly do like all three of them, but I LOVE me some Dehumanizer. For two reasons: 1) there aren’t any truly awful tracks like Walk Away or Country Girl. 2) This album actually sounds like Black Sabbath, with heavy spine crushing doom riffs. This was proof to the haters that Dio’s voice truly was a perfect fit for the band. It was also probably Sabbath’s last great album period.

Recommended song:
Master of Insanity
Old 11-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

I love Dehumanizer.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 11-24-2011, 01:21 PM
N00B

The best Sabbath album and possibly the best album Dio ever did. (Although Holy Diver probably takes it) One of the better heavy metal albums from the 1990s.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

HM4. Burzum: Filosofem

That's a rather Thanksgiving-esque looking album cover wouldn't you say?

It is such a close race between this one and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss you could keep photo-finish people employed for months. This one kind of dies toward the end like it’s predecessor (a 25 minute synth piece? Gargle the ashes of my dead dog, Varg!) But unlike Hvis, this one has three absolute classics back to back to start the whole thing off. “Burzum” “Jesu Dod” and “Beholding the Daughters...” all have badass bitchin groove riffs that any overproduced band would kill to have as part of their repertoire. And it’s actually pretty ingenious how he can let the riff play through practically the entire song without becoming sick of it. As for the two Decriptitude tracks; they’re both ok on a good day, but filling half your album with both that shit? That’s just lazy.

Recommended song:
Burzum (It's a music video which apparently aired on VH1!)
Old 11-25-2011, 06:22 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

congrats on a job well done, your number 1 is indeed the best fucking thing ever recorded.

you should have posted your honorable mentions first, nothing is worth posting after NOTB

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 11-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMaiden View Post
congrats on a job well done, your number 1 is indeed the best fucking thing ever recorded.

you should have posted your honorable mentions first, nothing is worth posting after NOTB

Yea, perhaps I should have. I actually wasn't sure whether or not to do it before it after it, or be really fucking confusing and post them every 10 entries or so.

Sorry about no entries today guys, kinda got swamped (and ironically I don't work in the retail business).
Old 11-26-2011, 07:12 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

HM5. Children of Bodom: Hate Crew Deathroll

Alright look, I love Towards Dead End and Warheart as much as the next old school Bodom fan, but there is a massive drop in quality between the great black metal hybrid songs and the not so great one. Here, that drop is severely diminished into more of an acute angle. I will admit this was a difficult listen at first because of its production. The keyboards sounding like DJ noises at times and the inexplicably distorted vocals during Needled 24/7 were quite painful at first. Truth be told, if I could remix this album I’d take that shit out immediately. Everything else though is absolutely fantastic modern rock & roll, without the mindless groove and the “couldn’t cut it as a poor man stealing” bullshit. Children of Bodom are both figuratively (and literally) the drunken masters of metal. It sounds like everything they do sloppily thrown onto a canvas with the hope it sticks, but in fact everything here is executed fantastically with military like precision. It’s hard to pick a favorite amongst so many awesome slabs of rock, but Angels Don’t Kill singlehandedly reinvented the ballad into a somber, aggressive, epic rather than your typical whining emotional crap, nor without seeming like “updating” the idea of the ballad or making it “current” for a new generation.

Recommended Song:
Angels Don’t Kill
Old 11-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

HM6. Dissection: The Somberlain

You’d think black metal fans would be more grateful that a band puts out two great albums in a row rather than bickering which one is the real classic and which one is them “selling out to rock & roll.” What’s hilarious to me is on my first listen through this is I heard more slower tempos and melodic tendencies (the random chanting in Black Horizons anyone?) than I ever heard on Storm of the Light’s Bane. That album was definitely thrashier with more blastbeasts than this one ever was. Of course because of all these tendencies, I liked this album immediately. I suppose when you get right down to it the songs were just more memorable on Storm then they were here, but Black Horizons, the title track and Heaven’s Damnation stand up with any of the great songs on Storm, and might even be a little bit better. Definitely check this one out if you like your black metal cold and in HD.

Recommended song:
Black Horizons
Old 11-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
HM5. Children of Bodom: Hate Crew Deathroll

Alright look, I love Towards Dead End and Warheart as much as the next old school Bodom fan, but there is a massive drop in quality between the great black metal hybrid songs and the not so great one. Here, that drop is severely diminished into more of an acute angle. I will admit this was a difficult listen at first because of its production. The keyboards sounding like DJ noises at times and the inexplicably distorted vocals during Needled 24/7 were quite painful at first. Truth be told, if I could remix this album I’d take that shit out immediately. Everything else though is absolutely fantastic modern rock & roll, without the mindless groove and the “couldn’t cut it as a poor man stealing” bullshit. Children of Bodom are both figuratively (and literally) the drunken masters of metal. It sounds like everything they do sloppily thrown onto a canvas with the hope it sticks, but in fact everything here is executed fantastically with military like precision. It’s hard to pick a favorite amongst so many awesome slabs of rock, but Angels Don’t Kill singlehandedly reinvented the ballad into a somber, aggressive, epic rather than your typical whining emotional crap, nor without seeming like “updating” the idea of the ballad or making it “current” for a new generation.

Recommended Song:
Angels Don’t Kill
Hell yeah This album played a HUGE role in making me a fan of metal.

The trio of Bodom Beach Terror / Angels Don't Kill / Triple Corpse Hammerblow is fantastic. Bodom Beach Terror was the first Bodom song I ever heard, and Triple Corpse Hammerblow is probably my favorite of all their songs.
01.27 Dark Tranquillity