"Spirit in Black"
"Expendable Youth"
"Dead Skin Mask"
"Hallowed Point"
"Skeletons of Society"
"Temptation"
"Born of Fire"
"Seasons in the Abyss

When I first got this album, I listened to it twice a day, every day (Temptation aside). It was my favorite Slayer album for the longest time. But then some cracks started to show, things like Dead Skin Mask being kind of dull, the intro of War Ensemble sounding a little too much like the intro to Angel of Death, the band as a whole seeming to develop one rote tempo and feel for playing fast. I may think Reign In Blood is overrated, but at least there were subtle differences in tempo and rhythm (I was a drummer for 4 years, that’s why I’m a stickler for that). There was also kind of a let down in the fact that Slayer were beginning to streamline boring social commentary instead of their stock and trade of monsters, satan, blood etc. Yea it’s true that Silent Scream from the previous album was first into this foray, but at least it had the superkvlt line “Death is Fucking You Insane!” I don’t make a big deal in such things except for the fact that by 1990, everybody was doing social commentary! Metallica had been a CNN of metal since 1984, Megadeth had been a Hunter Thompson, even Anthrax was getting serious on our asses! So Slayer joining in on that really made them seem less scary and more human, and goddammit, that’s the last thing you should do if you have a reputation as the baddest band in the land.

Regardless, I do maintain that this album is Slayer’s last [barely] classic.

Recommended song:
Seasons In The Abyss
Old 10-07-2011, 10:08 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

I like Seasons best for probably the same reason you find it lacking. While the tempo isn't too varying, I think it has probably their best guitar work (aka solos not sounding entirely like hitting random notes really fast and abusing the whammy bar). For me the songwriting on it is better than other Slayer albums. Though RiB comes astonishingly close.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

It's the third best Slayer release behind RIB and Hell Awaits.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
This
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther
Old 10-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

The first Slayer album I ever got. I thought it was so fucking evil and heavy at the time. Still love it.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 10-08-2011, 05:15 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
I like Seasons best for probably the same reason you find it lacking. While the tempo isn't too varying, I think it has probably their best guitar work (aka solos not sounding entirely like hitting random notes really fast and abusing the whammy bar). For me the songwriting on it is better than other Slayer albums. Though RiB comes astonishingly close.

Actually I do like the lead work on Seasons. In that regard it's their best since Show No Mercy.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:22 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

94. Bathory- Bathory

Different groups have different forms of media iconography to indicate that they are “down.” Goth kids have “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” hip hop heads have Wild Style, and metal heads have this album. It’s easy to see why, with that simple, but effective album cover. Regardless, despite the charades, this is not even close to Bathory’s best album. Some claim that this album is merely a Venom ripoff. They’re half right. Bathory ended up becoming so much more than that tag, but everyone has to start somewhere. Truth be told I’d probably find myself listening to this way more often than anything from Venom, but the critics were right for a short time. The lead guitar on this album is certainly much more melodic than the bats out of hell style of Mantas. Quorthon was always a fantastic lead guitarist, and the best examples of his playing are on the songs Necromansy and Raise The Dead. My only criticisms of this album is it is a smidgen repetitive, and did we really need three minutes of a storm sound loop as an intro?

Recommended song:
Necromansy

Last edited by JRA; 10-08-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

93. Venom- Black Metal

OMG VENOM AFTER U TAK ALL DAT SHIT!111

The truth is, this album just had better crafted songwriting than Bathory’s debut. I may listen to Bathory’s debut more, but I can’t deny that this one is just better. They say that timing is everything, and I feel like if I got into Venom back in 2004-05, I’d love them very dearly. But because it happened a couple years after that, I feel more ambivalent about the band than anything else. They are probably the only band who’s influences are way more enjoyable to me then the influence itself.

The burning question- Is this album Black Metal? No. But it is excellent proto-thrash metal. Hell for 1982 you couldn’t get much thrashier than this! Yea there are some goofy moments such as Teacher’s Pet, but everything else is fantastic speed metal that still stands up to this day. And no, no one’s a virtuoso on this album, but they never needed to be. Cronos sounded like he was the high general of Satan’s legions, and every vocal he does is like he’s giving the legions their marching commands from high atop a mountainous perch with seas of lava all around. Even though I find the band a hint overrated, this is still essential 80’s metal. and the title track has one of the all time greatest riffs in metal.

Recommended track: Black Metal
Old 10-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
-_-
07/31 - Warped
08/01 - Cannabis Corpse
Old 10-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

92. Overkill- The Years of Decay
"Time to Kill"
"Elimination"
"I Hate"
"Nothing to Die for"
"Playing with Spiders/Skullkrusher"
"Birth of Tension"
"Who Tends the Fire"
"The Years of Decay"
"E.vil N.ever D.ies"

Overkill’s sound can best be described as taking Salacious Crumb from Return of The Jedi and giving him a microphone to front Exodus. It doesn’t sound like a compliment, but when you think about it, the idea sounds fucking ingenious.

Many people rate this as Overkill’s best album. While I think it’s a good work, I do have one or two issues with it. This suffers from what I call “the first single is by far the best song” syndrome. In this case Elimination. Elimination is an all-time classic of metal no doubt, but the rest of this album, while good just doesn’t quite measure up to it. Another tick I have that can be blamed on my drummer sensibilities, is that the first three songs run at the exact same tempo. This really bugged me as I had Overkill’s first three albums before this, and they were perfectly capable, nay excellent, at crafting deadly bashers with a variety of tempos and feels. Shit even AC/DC knows to mix it up once in a while. In any case, despite it’s flaws, Years of Decay is an above average thrasher that is better than most outputs by the second tier of thrash bands, and maybe even one or two by the big four (as this list has already indicated ).

Recommended track:
Elimination