Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014

Old 10-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Are there other Mastodon albums later in the list?
5/21 - Primus
6/28 - Iron Maiden - Bergen, Norway
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
Old 10-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

There's one more.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:22 AM
N00B

Love Remission. I was just starting to get into metal and I heard "March of the Fire Ants" on a headbangers ball compilation and that main riff blew my mind. As a complete album, Leviathan probably edges it out for me but still a great fucking album.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 10-18-2011, 11:50 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

I love Remission, and every song on it, Trainwreck could be my favorite!
Old 10-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

70. Death- Scream Bloody Gore

This album on the other hand, I fell in love with on the first listen. I was still cautious on guttural vocals, but there weren’t any blast beats or the more extreme elements of modern death metal, so it was much more accessible to me. This album has one flaw, and that is that two songs have the exact same pick scraping intro into the same first few notes, giving off a feeling of “Didn’t I just hear this song?” (which happens on Mutilation and the title track). But that detail aside, everything else about this album is a wonderfully disgusting mess. From the B movie schlock album cover to hilariously offensive lyrics like “Suicidal Preacher hangs himself” and “fucking raping zombie whores” and Chuck’s ugly raw riffs being the glue that holds the whole thing together. His leads weren’t bad around this time either. He wasn’t quite as melodically developed as he would become around Human, but you can totally tell that he was destined for hall of fame as a lead player. But with this album, he was already in the hall of fame for heavy metal as a genre. An instant classic.

Recommended Song:
Evil Dead
Old 10-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

This one would be in my top 10. As would Symbolic.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:31 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Love that cover.
5/21 - Primus
6/28 - Iron Maiden - Bergen, Norway
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
Old 10-19-2011, 06:30 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

69. Immortal- Pure Holocaust

Immortal were smart enough to realize that the best way to serve a burgeoning genre is to write normal songs with it. Immortal did that even during their lo-fi “kvlt” days. What we have is a simple series of songs that play hard and rock hard with verse chorus structures. If you consider merely saying the songs name during an alternate riff a chorus that is. I suppose it’s one step more in that direction above Black Sabbath, considering Black Sabbath never had choruses. The first three songs here are staples of black metal (and of their live shows), but my personal favorite is the title track, for being a perfect mix of thrash riffs and spike through the skull moments. This album is just as cold, dark and grim as any other black metal album in the top 5, this one just happens to actually rock. You’d think that super elitist black metal fans would hate this album (and Immortal’s career) for such “mainstream tendencies,” but they don’t. Perhaps those guys aren’t so bad after all.

Recommended Track:
Pure Holocaust
Old 10-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

No love for Pure Holocaust, I'm shocked.

68. Anthrax- Persistence of Time

Anthrax’s only entry on this list is disturbingly underrated. The litmus test in metal is that those prefer melody prefer Spreading The Disease, where as those who prefer raw thrash prefer Among The Living. I say, why the Christ can’t you have both? Plus, try to squeeze a third element in there to prove the world how supernatural you are? Once again, to quote Ultraboris, “Mother of god...EPIC THRASH.” It blows my mind that the Vh1 Classic crowd can name all of the first 6 songs from Among The Living (classics they may be), but when it comes to this album they can only name the cover of Got The Time which has been spoonfed to them. Don’t get me wrong, the cover is a barrel full of fun, but, as a first single should do, it represents the tip of the iceberg of the destruction this album has to offer. This album is Joe Pesci from Goodfellas saying “oh you think we’re funny? Funny how, am I like a clown do I amuse you?” but before giving Ray Liotta a chance to retort, it takes a cement brick the size of the Yukon Territories and smashes you in the temple with it. It’s a shame this album doesn’t get more recognition. Part of the problem was it was released the same year as Cowboys From Hell, Rust In Peace, and Painkiller. I suppose there was only room for three kings, but don’t let that dissuade you from how fucking powerful this album is.

Recommended song:
Time
Old 10-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Concert Veteran

Easily Anthrax's best album. More epic, progessive, mature and darker than anything else they've done. Why they ignore this album live ever though fans always say they need to to more off it is baffling.

This is way too low. It would be in my top 20 of all time. I honestly don't see how that many other albums are better than it.