DragonForce -- Aberdeen, Scotland - September 18th, 2014
Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014

Old 10-17-2011, 06:37 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

73. Children of Bodom- Follow The Reaper

As time went on constructing this list I began to realize that if I was going to cover a broad metal taste with just 100 albums, the number of Children of Bodom albums would have to drop from 4 to 1. It was a difficult decision, and while I like quite a few of the songs from Hatebreeder better than anything on this album, Follow The Reaper was the best pick for this. As I said earlier, some bandís transitional albums are viewed as their weakspots. In Bodomís case, their transition from bare-bones yet still symphonically constructed black metal to raw vocals rock & roll is their greatest achievement. Itís like watching a tight ropewalker, walk across a dual pit, to the left is a pit of liquid nitrogen, and to the right is a pit of scalding lava. You hear the songs become more basic verse and chorus in structure, yet you can still hear the love for the super technical but very melodic leads and riffs that made Rust In Peace an enduring classic.

Recommended song:
Kissing The Shadows
Old 10-17-2011, 07:04 AM
Headbanger

I hated Blood Fire Death the 1st time I heard it. Coming off one of the greatest albums ever made I thought he totally bitched out. A few spins later I grew to really like it. My 3rd favorite Bathory album.

The 1st cd I bought from Tower Records in Springfield, VA. One of the coolest record stores I ever stumbled into...
Old 10-17-2011, 12:32 PM
I know the songs you're singing saying nothing loud and clear I've heard that song a thousand times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post

73. Children of Bodom- Follow The Reaper

As time went on constructing this list I began to realize that if I was going to cover a broad metal taste with just 100 albums, the number of Children of Bodom albums would have to drop from 4 to 1. It was a difficult decision, and while I like quite a few of the songs from Hatebreeder better than anything on this album, Follow The Reaper was the best pick for this. As I said earlier, some bandís transitional albums are viewed as their weakspots. In Bodomís case, their transition from bare-bones yet still symphonically constructed black metal to raw vocals rock & roll is their greatest achievement. Itís like watching a tight ropewalker, walk across a dual pit, to the left is a pit of liquid nitrogen, and to the right is a pit of scalding lava. You hear the songs become more basic verse and chorus in structure, yet you can still hear the love for the super technical but very melodic leads and riffs that made Rust In Peace an enduring classic.

Recommended song:
Kissing The Shadows
Great choice.
7/24 - NIN/Soundgarden
8/28 - Linkin Park
Old 10-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Thanks. I thought a million people were gonna shit on me for that one.

72. Celtic Frost- Morbid Tales

Still one of the heaviest albums ever. I actually hated this album at first. It was too one-note. Seriously, it felt like the entire time Warrior was just strumming on the same chord through 30 minutes. Plus it was disgustingly under produced. To be truthful, it wasnít until I bought To Mega Therion months later that I began to appreciate this band in their more primitive stages. Upon relistening, I notice that despite the very similar sound of each song, each song had itís own separate rhythm, feel, and drumming. Part of this had to do with the fact that I was paying more attention to riffs rather than the over all ensemble, and when each song just sounds like strumming over the same chord, youíll get bored with it very fast. Of course this sentiment is laughable to be now because every hook riff here is not only fantastic, but easily eligible for the top 100 riffs of all time. (well except Dethroned Emperor. Anyone else notice that riff is more or less Am I Evil?)

Recommended song:
Human/Into The Crypts of Rays
Old 10-17-2011, 03:26 PM
N00B

^ nice, I don't know much Celtic Frost besides To Mega Therion so I still gotta check that one out.

Good call on FTR. That one or Hatebreeder would definitely be in my top 100
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 10-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

That album would definitely be in my top 10, but any list it's included on is a good list!
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 10-17-2011, 08:22 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Awesome album.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:51 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

71. Mastodon- Remission

First off, that album cover. Holy shit that is awesome. A horse on fire. Never has animal cruelty been so awesome. Even if that cover was released in the 80's it would still rule (they would need to make the lettering way more extravagant though).

I had the exact same problem with this album that I did Morbid Tales, too much detuned D strumming, not enough higher notes. Plus, this band was really bad at writing songs longer than 7 minutes long. That closing riff of Trainwreck would not stop fucking being played! Either move onto something else after 4 bars or end the fucking song!

Unlike Morbid Tales though, there were things I liked about this album at first. Workhorse was a fantastic song, Burning Man was an underrated speed thrasher, Crusher Destroyer had some sweet surf-like dueling solos, and Mother Puncher was detuned heavy, but it just worked. This was the last Mastodon album I got in 2007, and for a while I thought it was their weakest. But over time, I began to appreciate it as a modern metal classic; something that is in frighteningly short supply nowadays. I've also come to love it much more than the stuff they’re putting out now. I try to never fault a band for evolving their sound, but its a shame we'll never heard them sound like this again. They really had something special here. Oh well. We’ve had a lot of terrible bands hit the mainstream with metal in the past 15 years, but this album and Mastodon deserves all the accolades it gets.

Recommended Track:
Mother Puncher

Last edited by JRA; 10-18-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:07 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post

71. Mastodon- Remission

First off, that album cover. Holy shit that is awesome. A horse on fire. Never has animal cruelty been so awesome. Even if that cover was released in the 80's it would still rule (they would need to make the lettering way more extravagant though).

I had the exact same problem with this album that I did Morbid Tales, too much detuned D strumming, not enough higher notes. Plus, this band was really bad at writing songs longer than 7 minutes long. That closing riff of Trainwreck would not stop fucking being played! Either move onto something else after 4 bars or end the fucking song!

Unlike Morbid Tales though, there were things I liked about this album at first. Workhorse was a fantastic song, Burning Man was an underrated speed thrasher, Crusher Destroyer had some sweet surf-like dueling solos, and Mother Puncher was detuned heavy, but it just worked. This was the last Mastodon album I got in 2007, and for a while I thought it was their weakest. But over time, I began to appreciate it as a modern metal classic; something that is in frighteningly short supply nowadays. I've also come to love it much more than the stuff theyíre putting out now. I try to never fault a band for evolving their sound, but its a shame we'll never heard them sound like this again. They really had something special here. Oh well. Weíve had a lot of terrible bands hit the mainstream with metal in the past 15 years, but this album and Mastodon deserves all the accolades it gets.

Recommended Track:
Mother Puncher
Mother Puncher's my favorite too! And yeah, whenever I do play this album I always skip the long songs. Ol' Nessie is solid, though.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by logAnarchy View Post
And yeah, whenever I do play this album I always skip the long songs. Ol' Nessie is solid, though.
I've actually grown to like Ol Nessie and even Trainwreck, when I started noticing that Brann and Troy were going crazy with different fills during that closing salvo. Trilobite is a snorefest though.