Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Raven -- Fullerton, CA -- October 23rd, 2014
King Diamond -- Denver, CO -- October 24th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 24th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Evansville, IN -- October 22nd, 2014
Pearl Jam -- Denver, CO -- October 22nd, 2014

Old 10-15-2011, 02:23 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

I must be a metal boy. Never been a fan. The music is great for the most part but I can't get past KD's vocals, just too silly. That's one hell of an album cover though.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:16 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Satan's Fall is awesome!! Is the rest of the album as good?
Old 10-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by logAnarchy View Post

The other songs are as good as they can be for 4-5 minute songs. It's like most of the Iron Maiden albums from the 80's. You know the longest song is by far the best one, but you can't forget the shorter stuff like Children of The Damned, The Trooper, Murders In The Rue Morgue, The Evil That Men Do etc.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:13 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logAnarchy View Post

Where the hell have you been?!? Get on that, now!

Great pick though man, if I never got into Mercyful Fate the summer before 8th grade who knows where I'd be now. Probably the first 'blasphemous' band I ever got into. Really changed my perspective on metal as a whole. I'll never forget the day that I went into an FYE and bought Among the Living, Don't Break the Oath, and Show No Mercy all that the same time for 20 bucks. That day my life changed.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:41 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

75. Slayer- South Of Heaven

Slayer decides to slow down....then speed up, then play fast again, then play slightly slower but still fast, whup now their slowing down again...now they’re playing fast again...why did the metal world refer to this as Slayer’s slow album again? My God, Slayer fans are idiots. Just because the opening song isn’t a debatable reference to Jewish annihilation doesn’t mean it’s terrible!

In any case, Slayer’s 4th THRASH album carries on in the tradition of quality, despite facing heavy competition in the speed department from the likes of Dark Angel and Kreator. While they certainly weren’t slowing down completely and going Candlemass on our asses, we did see them expanding their artistic pallette. For one Tom Araya actually sings for the first time since 1983 on Behind The Crooked Cross and Spill The Blood, and we see Slayer start to grasp the idea of tension and release. This is best demonstrated on Live Undead, which deceivingly starts with a midpaced rhythm, Tom delivers a fantastic scream with THE PAAAAAAAAIN a couple of more lines then DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEE *drum roll*, THRAAAASSSH. Yea, again, I have no idea why this is the slow album, especially considering there were slow moments on Reign In Blood (the beginning of Criminally Insane and Jesus Saves anyone?). This album is a classic and gives a giant middle finger to critics who say the band can’t be like Metallica and write meaningful slow and fast music. It ain’t my favorite song on the album, but I’d rather listen to Mandatory Suicide over Orion anyday.

Reccommended Song:
South of Heaven
Old 10-16-2011, 07:10 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

I love South of Heaven. A real classic, I still remember the day I bought it with my high school girlfriend at the local mall.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 10-16-2011, 07:25 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Fuckin' love South of Heaven. Reign in Blood's more consistent as a running piece, but I feel like SOH has more personality and better songs overall.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:07 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

One of the best 15 or 20 metal albums ever, and one of the top 10 thrash albums for sure. Too low in my opinion, but hey, at least it's here.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

74. Bathory- Blood Fire Death

Usually transitional albums are weak albums as the listener is just unable to relate to the wishy washy sound. Not the fucking case here. Releasing he had taken his blackened thrash sound as far as he could take it on the previous album, Quorthon begins to turn his back on the horned one and decides to shed light on a more terrifyingly real rape and pillage faction: the Viking hordes of Sweden. There’s still plenty of bible blasphemy to be found here, with Dies Irae and Golden Walls of Heaven, but lyrically Quorthon starts to shift his focus on the brave soldiers who conquered the land for better or worse.

There are those who believe this is Bathory’s finest album. I disagree for, once again, lack of variety. Despite the expansion, structurally, there are really only two types of songs here. The “Enter The Eternal Fire II: this time 10 minutes long and with acoustics” song, and the “ultra fast thrasher satanic songs with the guitar tone of Ride The Lightning, so you could pretend Metallica went black metal or something.” I also don’t like how Quorthon’s leads are buried in the mix. You really have to lean in to hear them, and that just bugs me, especially when Quorthon is such a brilliant lead player to begin with. Ah well, they can’t all be perfect.

Recommended song:
A Fine Day To Die
Old 10-16-2011, 04:24 PM
I dreamt of the sun's demise, awoke to a bleak morning.

Blood Fire Death needs to be in at least the top 50. Oh well, glad to see it on your list. It is one of my favorite black metal albums of all time.
11/28 - Slipknot/Korn
12/03 - In Flames/Opeth
12/14 - The Birthday Massacre