Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Death Angel -- San Francisco, CA -- December 27th, 2014
Protest the Hero -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 27th, 2014
Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 09-05-2011, 05:22 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Dream Theater WON'T be going back to different setlists every show

Jordan Rudess:

"That’s something that we don’t want to do that much anymore, and right now we’re sticking to the songs we most want to play. I don’t know how we’re going to approach it in the future but I can pretty much promise that no-one is particularly into changing the set every night. What we really value and what everybody could never really do to a point where we were comfortable, was nailing down a show. We have sound people and lighting people and what they really need to do is time everything so that the show is really smooth, and it’s really important to all of us in this period of transition to say ‘You know what? We have the opportunity to really work out a show, so that when we move from one song to another it’ll be really smooth and professional!’ We think the fans will really enjoy it more that way.”

“I think that the show has suffered. I think there are fans out there who value having a different set every night because they go to more than one show, but they’re relatively few, and I think sometimes our performance has suffered because of that approach. There’s a lot to be said for a show that’s dialled in – I mean we’re playing in different towns, so how many people are seeing it from night to night? Only a few I think, so why not just do the same set and work on it until it’s dialled in, so that’s what we’re doing and it’s really working so far, there’s a lot of good stuff. That’s not to say it’s not without its challenges, and nothing against what Portnoy did - he led this band for quite a number of years and did a good job - but we’re enjoying where we’re at now, the music is really happening, we’re running around the stage and we’re smiling, and it seems like the audience seems to be really elated."

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 09-05-2011, 05:28 AM

Really? Well fuck you, Jordan.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 09-05-2011, 06:27 AM
N00B

He uses the term "dialled in" as if it's a good thing. I've never been to a headling DT show (Saw them open for Maiden and stupidly hated them back then.) but thei back catalogue is so great it would be a crime just to focus on the same songs for the whole tour. I looked at their sets and it's not like the whole thing changes. Just like Metallica. If they can do it so can DT. They could even change it every five shows if they wanted to.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:31 AM
Troo Methulfan

Portnoy is laughing in retrospect.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:31 AM

I think what he means by "dialled in" isn't the same as the term "phoned in". He means having the show running slick.

But I don't agree with his assessment of why fans want different setlists every night. It's not because people go to multiple shows, necessarily. He's right to say those are the minority. For everyone else, they want different sets because they like not knowing what they're going to get. They like to be surprised by a progressive band.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 09-05-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalIsArt View Post
Portnoy is laughing in retrospect.
Given the amount of success he's likely to have outside of DT... probably not.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 09-05-2011, 06:33 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

They don't boast a theatrical show. This genuinely sounds like the band are not bothered with maintaining all the jamming and practicing changing the setlist requires, and sell the fans who have followed year after year short. There's a word for that, and its laziness.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:47 AM
Concert Veteran

Well, duh? I thought the recent European sets made that clear.

Plus, I read an interview with Lebrie a few months ago where he mentioned that they were doing that. It was cool that they did switch it up every night but honestly this will be better for Lebrie's voice. He'll sound a lot better live because they're doing the same songs for a whole tour.

There's always a chance that some songs will sound a bit off if they're only played once in awhile. Overall this will be better for their live sound. When was the last time you heard Rush or Megadeth sound off at all musically live? I never have before, so there are positives to doing this.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:09 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Well, duh? I thought the recent European sets made that clear.

Plus, I read an interview with Lebrie a few months ago where he mentioned that they were doing that. It was cool that they did switch it up every night but honestly this will be better for Lebrie's voice. He'll sound a lot better live because they're doing the same songs for a whole tour.

There's always a chance that some songs will sound a bit off if they're only played once in awhile. Overall this will be better for their live sound. When was the last time you heard Rush or Megadeth sound off at all musically live? I never have before, so there are positives to doing this.
I think a big part of this is the fact DT have gotten rid of the evening with format, which, due to how long their songs are, and the fact they feel the need to solo and jam every night, means very few songs actually get played by them compared to other bands. I think doing this in an Evening format would be perfect, as everyone's getting a good long show where almost everyone of the bands fans and favorite records will get represented. Playing only 90 minutes with the same setlist every night like what DT are doing now is really selling a lot of peoples favorites, and even some of the bands 'essential' material will get the shaft because of their song length and style of show.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:35 AM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

This band gives me a headache, and I don't mean the music