Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 09-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

I would add, that excuse for not playing Dante's Inferno live since 1999 is one of the lamest ever.

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 09-07-2011, 05:08 PM
That Guy

Well considering how I'm sure Iced Earth doesn't make THAT much money, it makes sense in a way. It would have cost a lot to re-create all the strings parts up to par. But then again Jon could have done it itself.

Fuck it, it's in the past and now they are going to play it live. That's all I need.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:38 PM
In Search of Truth

I just watched the video... I still just don't like Stu. Something about him has always been incredibly off-putting every (7) time I've seen Into Eternity live, and it continues here. Furthermore - how can someone who just joined a 20+ year-old band a year ago say: "We're back"?

I've only ever really been skeptical about the future of Iced Earth because I've felt like Jon is completely out of worthwhile ideas. Until I hear a new album that changes my mind, that thought will continue. And yeah, I listened to the track - Stu does do a pretty solid job, but that still doesn't make me glow with confidence. There's a monumental difference between someone just trying to clone someone on a rerecording and what that person actually chooses to bring to the table for new, original material - which is what I've always been kinda worried about with him.

I'm also just kinda "over" Iced Earth. If somehow this new album is great, I'll thoroughly enjoy it - but honestly over time most of their music has just really grown off of me. I still really love select songs for the nostalgic factor attached to them, because Iced Earth was definitely one of the first remotely "underground" bands I got into back when I was 13 and metal-hungry... but I just can't really see them releasing an album in 2011 that I consider interesting and relevant to my musical standpoint today.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:10 AM
N00B

Yes!! if IE comes here im going for this song alone. my favorite Iced Earth song
Old 09-08-2011, 12:53 AM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Damn, when it comes to the harsher vocals Stu shines brighter than the sun.
01.27 Dark Tranquillity
Old 09-08-2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I just watched the video... I still just don't like Stu. Something about him has always been incredibly off-putting every (7) time I've seen Into Eternity live, and it continues here. Furthermore - how can someone who just joined a 20+ year-old band a year ago say: "We're back"?

I've only ever really been skeptical about the future of Iced Earth because I've felt like Jon is completely out of worthwhile ideas. Until I hear a new album that changes my mind, that thought will continue. And yeah, I listened to the track - Stu does do a pretty solid job, but that still doesn't make me glow with confidence. There's a monumental difference between someone just trying to clone someone on a rerecording and what that person actually chooses to bring to the table for new, original material - which is what I've always been kinda worried about with him.

I'm also just kinda "over" Iced Earth. If somehow this new album is great, I'll thoroughly enjoy it - but honestly over time most of their music has just really grown off of me. I still really love select songs for the nostalgic factor attached to them, because Iced Earth was definitely one of the first remotely "underground" bands I got into back when I was 13 and metal-hungry... but I just can't really see them releasing an album in 2011 that I consider interesting and relevant to my musical standpoint today.
The new album is great.

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 09-08-2011, 01:40 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I've only ever really been skeptical about the future of Iced Earth because I've felt like Jon is completely out of worthwhile ideas. Until I hear a new album that changes my mind, that thought will continue.
Pretty much this. Something Wicked was the last one that really moved me, and even that had some pretty boring points.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Pretty much this. Something Wicked was the last one that really moved me, and even that had some pretty boring points.
I found nothing at all wrong with The Glorious Burden, Dark Saga or Horror Show.

But then, as Jon said, he was basically in a depression for the last 10 years and not really trying hard enough with Iced Earth.

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 09-08-2011, 04:36 AM
N00B

Stu's version is good, but Barlow's version is a little better. I would have to hear a new song to decide on whether or not to buy the album.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidenmagic View Post
Stu's version is good, but Barlow's version is a little better. I would have to hear a new song to decide on whether or not to buy the album.
I would imagine Century will make a song or two available ahead of time.

I prefer Matt's version of Dante's too. But the important thing is this proves Stu can do the old stuff, which was almost a bigger worry for most IE fans than the quality of the new CD.

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
3/8 Lokerse Festival