Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014
Styx -- Peachtree City, GA -- September 27th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 09-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Resident old fart

They've only been doing the "rotating" thing since 2002 anyway. On SFAM and before the setlists never changed.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:05 AM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
They've only been doing the "rotating" thing since 2002 anyway. On SFAM and before the setlists never changed.
That's not entirely true.

On SFAM they would switch up what happened after they played SFAM, it would either be A Change Of Seasons or a big Medley, or a Mind Beside Itself or something different.

They always changed at least a couple songs up. I can't see that part ever truly changing. at least 1-2 songs will be changed up.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:20 AM
N00B

Ths has really pissed me off...Dream theater are one of the very few bands with a large back catalogue that vary there setlists. I can appreciate its easier for the band and crew but this can really piss the fans off.

I wonder if its anything to do with the new drummer not learning all the songs?

On the plus side you know what to expect, i remember going to see them early on and not knowing a couple of songs (although they were good to watch, i remember counting down the minutes lol)
Old 09-05-2011, 11:29 AM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysadler2 View Post
Ths has really pissed me off...Dream theater are one of the very few bands with a large back catalogue that vary there setlists. I can appreciate its easier for the band and crew but this can really piss the fans off.

I wonder if its anything to do with the new drummer not learning all the songs?

On the plus side you know what to expect, i remember going to see them early on and not knowing a couple of songs (although they were good to watch, i remember counting down the minutes lol)
Try learning 6 HOURS of Dream Theater Prog Metal for one tour on any instrument.

That's why they are going back to a static catalog. How much hate does Rush get for doing static setlists? They are playing very hard music for 3 hours. It's very understandable.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Try learning 6 HOURS of Dream Theater Prog Metal for one tour on any instrument.

That's why they are going back to a static catalog. How much hate does Rush get for doing static setlists? They are playing very hard music for 3 hours. It's very understandable.
I can totally understand Mangini not being up to speed yet. But he is an amazing drummer. I am certain he's capable of learning a set and half of material so they can swap a few songs around each night. Especially since they stopped playing three hour shows anyway.

Unless they're going back to three-hour shows. In which case, he can probably be let off for another tour. It's not the easiest stuff to learn at all. I would still expect them to eventually get up to the point where they can do it again though.

The way Jordan puts it, the excuses suck. If he'd just said "for the next tour or two we won't be changing the setlists because Mike is still new" then fine. But he didn't. He gave bullshit excuses and basically said "none of us want to bother rehearsing that much stuff".

13/10 The Skull
29/10 Saint Vitus
6/11 Gilby Clarke
Old 09-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Custom User Title

If they go back to doing An Evening With then I'll be happy. In theory I like rotating the setlists, but there's little chance of me ever seeing them more then once per tour cycle, so this doesn't really bother me other then the band coming across as lazy. They really need to start playing 3 hour sets again, either that or put pressure on the label to get openers who don't suck.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:51 PM
N00B

Well this sucks. I guess I won't have much of a fall tour to follow on setlist.fm lol. But hopefully they'll play more than one song off Octavarium, my favorite Dream Theater album out of the six of their albums I have heard and enjoyed thus far.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
As long as the show and songs are good, I see no problem having a static setlist
Exactly.

If they were already playing the next leg of the tour now and the set sucked than I can see why some would be upset. But the fact remains there's no reason to be pissed at them until we see what they're playing for this tour. If the set is garbage then complain away, but if it turns out to kick ass those who bitched in the first place are gonna look silly.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:58 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:

It's not understandable at all actually. I'm not asking YOU to play it, I'm asking the guys who wrote and play it for a living to play it. I understand easing Mangini into it with a static set but honestly, I don't understand why a band would want to play the same songs night in, night out. It's gotta get fucking boring. If you've got twenty years worth of albums to work with, why wouldn't you want to mix it up?
Old 09-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
If you've got twenty years worth of albums to work with, why wouldn't you want to mix it up?
Laziness or apathy?

13/10 The Skull
29/10 Saint Vitus
6/11 Gilby Clarke