Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 08-27-2011, 04:32 PM
D.B.B.

And it just gets worse...
Old 08-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
No I am the same way. I defended him till today. Now it's just fucking petty.

He was my favorite drummer, and the reason I'm still playing to this day, now, it's just fucking ridiculous.
No. But it is the same as Tracii Guns and L.A. Guns and Ozzy and Sabbath in the sense that the suing party has no actual legal grounds to do so.

Mike is very quickly going from one of the most respected musicians in the business to one of the biggest jokes.

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 08-27-2011, 04:33 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

*Update* This isn't quite as dramatic as it was originally made. All this has to do w/ is their Ytsejam Records label which only releases Dream Theater bootlegs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=154516

Ex-DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy says that he "can't see any upcoming releases" from Ytsejam Records, the label imprint which his former band has been using for years to release official bootlegs of live recordings ("Ytsejam" is "Majesty" spelled backwards; MAJESTY was DREAM THEATER's original band name).

Portnoy, who oversaw the creative side of Ytsejam's affairs, was asked by a fan via Mike's official forum whether his departure from DREAM THEATER also means "the end of the publication of the official bootlegs" from the band.

"As this question seems to come up every few weeks, I may as well go on the record," Portnoy replied.

"I have no idea why [DREAM THEATER guitarist John Petrucci] would have said [in a recent interview that] Ytsejam Records wouldn't be affected [by my exit from the group]...

"I was the one that handpicked and decided on every title, compiled the music and videos for the CDs and DVDs and oversaw the artwork and liner notes.

"John's side of the Ytsejam Records production team consisted of dealing with the manufacturing factory and staying on top of the payments and deliveries after I produced all of the titles...

"Being I have the entire 25-year archive of every studio and live recording from 1985 to 2010 in my home, and being the band currently refuse to answer my e-mails or calls, I honestly can't see any upcoming releases...

"It's a shame, too....I was already working on another batch before all of this went down..."

**UPDATE**: Portnoy earlier today (Friday, February 25) posted the following message on his official forum:

"Ugh...I just saw that my post has now ended up on Blabbermouth as well as some DREAM THEATER news sites and Forums and I am now getting ripped to shreds...

"I was simply trying to address a fan question that seems to keep popping up about the future of Ytsejam Records...

"I was not at all 'bad-mouthing' the DREAM THEATER guys, nor was I whining, crying or complaining...and this was surely NOT meant to be some sort of 'press release!!!!'

"I simply wanted to set the record straight here on my personal forum....

"I have always had an open relationship with you fans and never BS'ed or gave the 'politically correct,' sugar-coated answer....I've always tried to be very upfront, open and in direct contact with mine and DREAM THEATER's fan base... Unfortunately, I guess I REALLY need to watch everything I say these days for fear of misinterpretation and I apologize if I cannot address certain areas dealing with DREAM THEATER past or future."

IMO this actually seems that Portnoy is being a little more reasonable if he came up w/ the Label name, has all of the live recordings they've ever done at his house and they aren't responding, I think that Portnoy might actually be more in the right for this...god forbid.

Last edited by 300%_Density; 08-27-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:41 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
*Update* This isn't quite as dramatic as it was originally made. All this has to do w/ is their Ytsejam Records label which only releases Dream Theater bootlegs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=154516

Ex-DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy says that he "can't see any upcoming releases" from Ytsejam Records, the label imprint which his former band has been using for years to release official bootlegs of live recordings ("Ytsejam" is "Majesty" spelled backwards; MAJESTY was DREAM THEATER's original band name).

Portnoy, who oversaw the creative side of Ytsejam's affairs, was asked by a fan via Mike's official forum whether his departure from DREAM THEATER also means "the end of the publication of the official bootlegs" from the band.

"As this question seems to come up every few weeks, I may as well go on the record," Portnoy replied.

"I have no idea why [DREAM THEATER guitarist John Petrucci] would have said [in a recent interview that] Ytsejam Records wouldn't be affected [by my exit from the group]...

"I was the one that handpicked and decided on every title, compiled the music and videos for the CDs and DVDs and oversaw the artwork and liner notes.

"John's side of the Ytsejam Records production team consisted of dealing with the manufacturing factory and staying on top of the payments and deliveries after I produced all of the titles...

"Being I have the entire 25-year archive of every studio and live recording from 1985 to 2010 in my home, and being the band currently refuse to answer my e-mails or calls, I honestly can't see any upcoming releases...

"It's a shame, too....I was already working on another batch before all of this went down..."

**UPDATE**: Portnoy earlier today (Friday, February 25) posted the following message on his official forum:

"Ugh...I just saw that my post has now ended up on Blabbermouth as well as some DREAM THEATER news sites and Forums and I am now getting ripped to shreds...

"I was simply trying to address a fan question that seems to keep popping up about the future of Ytsejam Records...

"I was not at all 'bad-mouthing' the DREAM THEATER guys, nor was I whining, crying or complaining...and this was surely NOT meant to be some sort of 'press release!!!!'

"I simply wanted to set the record straight here on my personal forum....

"I have always had an open relationship with you fans and never BS'ed or gave the 'politically correct,' sugar-coated answer....I've always tried to be very upfront, open and in direct contact with mine and DREAM THEATER's fan base... Unfortunately, I guess I REALLY need to watch everything I say these days for fear of misinterpretation and I apologize if I cannot address certain areas dealing with DREAM THEATER past or future."

IMO this actually seems that Portnoy is being a little more reasonable if he came up w/ the Label name, has all of the live recordings they've ever done at his house and they aren't responding, I think that Portnoy might actually be more in the right for this...god forbid.
This was way back in the beginning of the year, and didn't have to do with the fact of what is going on now. That's about Ytsejam Records, the Demo/Live/Bootleg/ label he started. Not Dream Theater's original music and name, which is getting sued for.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
This was way back in the beginning of the year, and didn't have to do with the fact of what is going on now. That's about Ytsejam Records, the Demo/Live/Bootleg/ label he started. Not Dream Theater's original music and name, which is getting sued for.
Fucking google and my stupid ass for not paying better attention... Carry on..
Old 08-27-2011, 04:47 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Fucking google and my stupid ass for not paying better attention... Carry on..
It's all good. Dream Theater is still my favorite band so I still very anal about the news about them. Then again I'm a Prog Metal Nerd.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
It's all good. Dream Theater is still my favorite band so I still very anal about the news about them. Then again I'm a Prog Metal Nerd.
I wouldn't call myself a prog nerd but I do really love DT, it eats at me that I've never seen them live, it eats at me even more that my 1st MP experience had to be w/ A7X last year.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Regretting my username

Can't someone lend this entire band a shotgun and however many shells it takes...
Old 08-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Concert Veteran

Aww, what's the matter Mike? You found out all those projects you were so happy to leave DT for aren't gonna pay as much or get you noticed by as many people as you originally thought?

Portnoy is the one who fucked up in the first place. He wanted DT to wait and go by his schedule. I have major respect for the rest of DT for not wanting to do that and continuing on without him. Hopefully the new album will be good that way Portnoy can feel even worse about leaving.

Maybe he'll decide to sue them for writing a good album without him to? I mean if he's already desperate enough to sue for name rights this soon after leaving then why wouldn't he try and do that?
Old 08-27-2011, 05:16 PM
That Guy

Quote:
I wouldn't call myself a prog nerd but I do really love DT, it eats at me that I've never seen them live, it eats at me even more that my 1st MP experience had to be w/ A7X last year.
Oh fuck I am so sorry.

I saw DT 4 times from 2005-2009. Some of the best shows I've ever seen.