Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014
Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014
Samhain -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 19th, 2014

Old 09-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Hank III's Four New Albums

Yesterday(September 6th, 2011) Hank III released four new albums on his own record label. These are the first albums released being tied up by Curb Records for the past 14 years. He released a double country album called Ghost to a Ghost/Guttertown, a doom metal album called Attention Deficit Domination and his own creation that mixes speed metal with cattle callin.

Ghost to a Ghost/Gutterrown

I usually fall in love with III's new country albums instantly, but this was a lot different than I expected it to be. It took me a few spins to really get into it. The opening track(Guttertown) for the album is pretty good, it's probably one of the better songs on the album, but it wasn't the best way for III to start the cd off. The following three tracks(Day by Day,Ride the Wave, Don't you Wanna) are mediocre. They are listenable to, its just there's nothing that stands out on them. Ray Lawrence Jr is featured on the track Raw Lawrence Jr. It's probably the best true country song on this album, but its a shame that III is the backing vocals for this while RLJ is the lead singer. The Devils Movin In is an acoustic song that shows III has his twang back, but it feels like too much of a remake of Angel of Sin. Time to Die is pretty terrible cause really slow songs that has too much of a goth taste to it. Those Poor Bastards is great at pulling that style off, but III kind of failed at it here. The next two songs (Troopers Holler and Outlaw Convention) are mediocre as well. Now at this point I was losing hope for the album, but the next song turned out to be one of my favorites. It is called Cunt of a Bitch and sounds like III was on crack when he wrote/recorded it. It's a fast ass bluegrass song that talks about some bitch who stole his cocaine and he's on the run to kill her. It's so damn catchy, I can never get enough of it. The final track on the album is called Ghost to a Ghost and is so epic! It has a completely different sound than I'm used to, but it works out perfectly.

Guttertown is the second disc to Ghost to a Ghost. I'm not sure how I feel about this cd yet. It sounds like a tracked out version of disc two off of Straight to Hell. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, its basically a song, then a track of noise, then another song, followed by another noise track and it just repeats over and over. I heard live versions of a few of the songs off of this album two months ago and they sounded great, but III used too many effects when he went to the studio and kind of ruined them. For instance, I really enjoyed the song Gutterstomp before I heard it on the cd. It really sounds like he took a hit of helium right before he recorded the vocals for it. I know III wanted to go for the Cajun sound, but it didn't work out as well as he wanted for the cd. It's also really weird to hear him singing a few songs in French. I can't really listen to this album too much cause the effects are annoying. I'm looking forward to hearing the songs live in a few weeks because they will sound a lot better then. The songs are all great, just not the production.

Attention Deficit Domination

This is the new Doom project that I have been waiting for years to hear. III always talked about it, but could never do anything with it because of being stuck on Curb Records. He's put out a doom song before on the Eyehategod tribute album. Even though I enjoyed that song, I was worried he would go all out in the effects and ruin the vocals again. He did use a lot of vocal effects on this album, but it worked. He basically sounds like he's possessed. III really knows how to jam the fuck out to doom and shows it on this record. Every single song on this record kick ass, but the stand out tracks for me are I Feel Sacrificed, Living Beyond Doom, Demon's Mark and Goat's N Heathens.

Goats N Heathens

Oh for those of you who are just checking ADD out, III is touring for the record right now. After his country set, he is playing the entire album plus a Sleep cover and maybe a few other songs. Go here for tour dates:
Tour Dates

3 Bar Ranch Cattle Callin

This is another new project that III is putting out. He is calling it Cattle Core, which basically mixes what he thinks is speed metal with cattle auctioneers. At first I was very skeptical about this. I heard a few songs he put online a month or so ago and hated the songs. I didn't want to give up hope because two out of 23 songs isn't bad. When I put the cd in my computer, I was surprised to find 75 minutes worth of music on there. I soon realized a lot of the songs are on there twice. I guess he put a version that was music with the auctioneer and another with him doing screams over the auctioneer. I really like the music on this album. I think he ruined a lot of songs by trying to make this idea work. I think everyone should give this album a shot to hear how insane it is. I hope I can hear a few songs live one day, but I won't mind if I don't.

Last edited by christopher; 09-07-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:15 PM
We're dying on the inside

Gonna review this crazy clusterfuck for the paper here this weekend. Wish me luck.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Gonna review this crazy clusterfuck for the paper here this weekend. Wish me luck.
That's going to be intense. I actually got a leaked version of most of the country album a month ago, then made a bootleg of the ADD album from a live show, so I've been listening to most of the music for a while now. The only new music for me was the Cattle Callin. I just waited till I had all the albums before I reviewed them. I can't wait to see III in a few weeks
Old 09-10-2011, 11:34 AM

I've been listening to disc two of Ghost to a Ghost(Guttertown) and finally beginning to enjoy it. I think once you get past the effects, the songs are a lot better than the songs on disc one. The lyrics to all the songs are very simple. Half the lyrics are in french for the Cajun part of it, but I feel its just translated versions of the English parts. I really like Gutterstomp, I'll be Gone, Fadin Moon and I'll Save the Tears. I can't get over how amazing Fadin Moon and I'll Save the Tears are. I haven't given Musha's a chance yet because its all in French and its just weird to hear III sing in French. The only WTF song it With the Ship. It sounds like he's trying to write the fucking sound track to Pirates of the Caribbean!!!