Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 08-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

The Gits- Frenching the Bully (1992)

Given all that was going on in Seattle in the early 90s, it's inevitable that a few amazing bands from that scene would be left behind in the shadows of Nirvana and Pearl Jam. The Gits are probably one of the least known, but also the best. They cranked out punk fury with impeccable musicianship that propelled singer Mia Zapata's flawless, bluesy voice. Zapata sang with unparalleled passion about addiction, loss, and general angst, but you could tell it wasn't an act. Frenching the Bully, their debut album, has many of their best and most well-known songs, such as the anthemic "Wingo Lamo" and "Second Skin." Sadly, they only released one other album before Zapata was tragically murdered in 1994. Today, they remain one of punk's best-kept secrets, and I would count this as one of my all-time favorite records.

Recommended tracks:
"Second Skin"
"Another Shot of Whiskey"

Last edited by powerslave_85; 08-21-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Rats off to ya

I've never heard of The Gits before but they sound great. I'm gonna listen to that album later.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Rats off to ya

Serj Tankian - Elect the Dead (2007)

I've heard some SOAD fans hate on Serj's solo work. I completely understand why one wouldn't like his recent album Imperfect Harmonies (I only listened to it one myself) but I for one think this record is great. I just got into SOAD when they were wrapping up their final tour before the hiatus and I was saddened to hear they were taking a break just when I started loving their music. Thankfully this album dropped within the next year and partially filled the void the was left when SOAD stopped. I remember when this album first came out my mom bought it for me and even she really liked the album. She was really into the peace movement at the time and she really dug Serj's lyrics and even thought his voice was really good. Looking back there isn't much weak tracks on here. I pretty much like all of them up until the last 2 which are more forgettable. This album isn't really metal but it's still very accessible to the average SOAD fan. If your a SOAD fan who hasn't heard this already then definitely give it a listen, it's better then some SOAD albums IMHO.

Recommended Tracks:
Empty Walls
The Unthinking Majority
Sky is Over
Old 08-22-2011, 10:55 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_to_the_face View Post
He doesn't do their clean vocals
Yeah, this. Even then, if you don't like the clean vocals in As I Lay Dying, then you are crazy or stupid, since they are the best in all of metalcore.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:06 PM
welp

Well...here we go. Adored by your typical Hot Topic shopper, hated by pretty much anyone who knows shit about their metal. Well, fuck that shit. This album was one of my favorites back in my earlier metal days, and I still like to jam out to it every now and then. I honestly don't think the band is anywhere near as band as some make them out to be, but I can totally see where the hate comes from. I mean, shit, I would probably hate on them too if it wasn't for the fact that I was really into them. I was probably the only person going crazy for them in the whole damn Nassau Coliseum when they opened for Maiden in '06. Overall, a solid melodic metalcore release, not too far off from what Trivium did with Ascendancy. And really, if it wasn't for them, then we probably wouldn't have the Asking Alexandrias and the Attack Attacks of this world for us to hate on.

Standout Track.
Room 409
Old 08-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Rats off to ya

Gwar - Ragnarok (1995)

This was the Gwar's 5th album and the 2nd in what some might call the "experimental" era of Gwar. Starting with This Toilet Earth in 1994 Gwar moved in a new direction. They started making albums that were insanely diverse where pretty much every song sounded different from the last. The 4 albums released during this time are not very accessible and are only really enjoyed by die hard Gwar fans. What sets this record apart from the rest of their discography is the use of synths that are present on many songs here. Another thing worth noting is all the different vocalist who sing on this album. Oderus handles lead vocals on 9 out of the 14 tracks but the 5 other songs have vocals done by Gwar characters Sexicutioner, Sleazy P. Martini, Slymenstra Hymen, Beefcake the Mighty, and even Gwar's arch nemesis Cardinal Syn. Whargoul has gotta be my favorite track here, it's a song about a full length novel that Dave Brockie wrote during this time that was just officially published recently. Supposedly this album has some kinda story about a comet coming to destroy earth that's actually a robot that makes Oderus and Slymenstra fuck eachother and have a mutant baby but I can never follow the story on these albums. In conclusion I really like this album but I can't really recommend it to much people. Check out the recommended tracks anyway, you never know.

Recommended Tracks:
Whargoul
Knife in Yer Guts
Martyr Dumb
Old 08-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Rats off to ya

Ian, I am disappoint.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:14 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
if you don't like the clean vocals in As I Lay Dying, then you are crazy or stupid, since they are the best in all of metalcore.
Even if they did have the best clean vocals in metalcore that's like being the smartest kid with down syndrome.

EDIT: Sorry if thats fucked up, it's just the best analogy I could think of.

Last edited by BloodoftheKings; 08-22-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:41 PM
welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
Ian, I am disappoint.
Said the kid that didn't even know about Tony Martin-era Sabbath.

P.s. I'll take The Poison over any GWAR album.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:47 AM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
Said the kid that didn't even know about Tony Martin-era Sabbath.
99% of BFMV fans don't know about it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
P.s. I'll take The Poison over any GWAR album.
Blasphemy. For one thing I don't think you've ever heard a Gwar album, and secondly there is very few bands on the planet worse then BFMV. I'd say Bring Me The Horizon, Brokencyde, Blood on the Dance Floor, and Design the Skyline are the only bands worse then BFMV, and the most recent BMTH album is slightly better then BFMV.