Marduk-- Norrköping, Sweden--December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Old 12-07-2014, 06:55 PM
That Guy

Beauty Of Decay (My Band)

Hey guys! Wanna actually hear me drum? With a band this time?

My band, Beauty Of Decays is in the midst of writing our second album (the first album with myself on drums and first with a new vocalist and bassist.) I've been in the band since Summer 2013 and the band has opened for many huge bands that have come to Minnesota including Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Suffocation, Nile and a lot more.

The first album is much more in the Groove Metal side of Death Metal but since I joined the band, the band has gotten much more progressive and experimental, but still groovy. I like to describe it as The Frank Zappa of Death Metal.

The biggest improvement in the entire band is the vocals. No more Core vocals, all pure Death Metal. When hearing back out latest songs, it is very comparable to Nick Holmes style growls.

We just put up a live practice demo of a brand new song on our ReverbNation paged called Watch You Cry, which easily has some of the most insane drumming I have ever done in my life. Also on the ReverbNation page is two songs from the debut album, Transparent, End Of All, and No Choice (Transparent and No choice are being re-recorded for the new album in the way we play the songs now.)

IN speaking of that, starting in January, we will be recording the second album and making it hopefully one of the best Metal albums of 2015. But I'll let you guys be the judge of that!

Check out Watch You Cry and let me know what you think!

http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/fb_share/681516
Old 12-14-2014, 11:56 AM
That Guy

Another new song is up for those interested; I, Misanthrope:

http://www.reverbnation.com/beautyof...emo?1336410755
Old 12-15-2014, 12:58 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

Hope you guys make it to the NW soon! Sadly my MP3 player died right after you sent me the demo tracks so I wasn't able to listen while at work, then I got a new MP3 player and forgot to put them on there again . Will do that soon though so I can give them a good legit listen

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 12-15-2014, 01:19 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
Hope you guys make it to the NW soon! Sadly my MP3 player died right after you sent me the demo tracks so I wasn't able to listen while at work, then I got a new MP3 player and forgot to put them on there again . Will do that soon though so I can give them a good legit listen
I'd check out the new version we have up on ReverbNation. Not all the songs I sent you then had all the full vocals, these do.

And you can download them and put them on your MP3 Player!

Old 12-15-2014, 01:48 PM
All of my life, I've been waiting for you...

Bit of constructive criticism, hope you don't mind.

-There's parts of the two new demo tracks that are really good, but overall I get the feeling you're trying to do too much (I.E. throwing in a weird riff just for the sake of having a weird riff). I feel like if you guys either went in the direction of full-on death metal or full-on prog instead of meshing the two you'd have a much more cohesive sound.

These other two might just be the demo tracks talking, so if I'm wrong please correct me.

-The vocals are way too loud over the rest of the mix without being low enough sonically. Granted, the former is a very easy fix once you're in the studio, but I feel like overall the sound would benefit if he was growling in a much lower pitch.

-The lack of low-end is really missing. When I listen to death metal, I wanna feel like I'm being punched in the face, and that isn't happening here. Again, probably an easy fix once you start recording.

Gotta say though, the drumming is by far the best part of this, keep it up!
Youth Code: 1/27
A Place To Bury Strangers: 2/17
Sleater-Kinney: 2/26-27
Old 12-15-2014, 02:07 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobys37 View Post
Bit of constructive criticism, hope you don't mind.

-There's parts of the two new demo tracks that are really good, but overall I get the feeling you're trying to do too much (I.E. throwing in a weird riff just for the sake of having a weird riff). I feel like if you guys either went in the direction of full-on death metal or full-on prog instead of meshing the two you'd have a much more cohesive sound.

These other two might just be the demo tracks talking, so if I'm wrong please correct me.

-The vocals are way too loud over the rest of the mix without being low enough sonically. Granted, the former is a very easy fix once you're in the studio, but I feel like overall the sound would benefit if he was growling in a much lower pitch.

-The lack of low-end is really missing. When I listen to death metal, I wanna feel like I'm being punched in the face, and that isn't happening here. Again, probably an easy fix once you start recording.

Gotta say though, the drumming is by far the best part of this, keep it up!
I'll try going at this segment by segment.

1.) With repeated listens, there is no weird riffs for the sake of having weird riffs. At first I totally get it's a "WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON???" kinda thing, I thought that when I first joined, but the more you listen to it, the more you hear how everything flows together. The time signatures and BPMs show that off, but again with just a listen or two it's hard to pick up on that. You can also make the same argument for Merzbow and Grindcore.

2.) the mixing on this isn't perfect by a long shot. We just wanted to get these up for people to hear what we've been working on since I joined the band last summer and our singer since March. WE bascially just all played together, did about a half hour of EQing, went home and listened to it and decided if we needed anything different done. There's a lot that can be fixed, but why fix up a Live PRactice Demo when we can make all the right changes when we record the album next month?

3.) I think it totally depends on the speakers you use to listen, but the vocals sound perfectly mixed with the rest of the band. I love his Nick Holmes style of Growls (part of why I love the new Bloodbath so much, that classic late 80s/Early 90s Death Metal sound). And compared to the vocals that were previously in the band (just check out the songs I wasn't on) They are SOOOOOOOOOOO much better.

4.) This makes me again think it is just the speakers someone uses to listen to these, but on my speakers, the low end nearly drowns everything else on my speakers. there isn't too many songs I have on my computer that can make my home speakers rattle, but these songs rattle like a motherfucker (that is something I wanna change when we get the album recorded).

5.) Thank you very, very much. I was never in a Death Metal type band ever before joining Beauty Of Decay so I never had a reason to work on fast double bass and blasts before joining this band besides shits and giggles. I strive very hard not to the stereotypical play double bass as fast as I can and blast as fast as possible in a Death Metal setting because not only is it boring to listen to when done repeatedly, it's boring to play. So I am definitely bringing my sense of drumming experience over the years into unknown territory. Once it is shown off in a proper recorded setting, I can't wait to show off all my chops, technical, yet tasteful.

Thanks for checking out the songs!