Old 08-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Cowboy From Hell

Evanescence -- Nashville, TN -- August 17th, 2011

Evanescence
The Art of Dying
One other band I don't recall their name

War Memeorial Auditorium
Nashville, TN

I had a friend who had 2 tickets and hotel, etc paid for and couldn't find anyone to go with her so I went for free. I am not a Evanescence fan, I know about 5 of their songs.

The War Memorial Auditorium is a beautiful venue. It probably holds 2000 people. The building is a former legislative house for Tennessee politicians from way back in the days. It was equally nice on the inside too. The venue had excellent acoustics.

Some band with a female vocalist and guitarist was up first. They covered Dream On by Aerosmith and were giving away their CD for free at their merch table. Straight up rock band, not bad.

The Art Of Dying was next. They sounded good but some of their songs were hit and miss. They did a few balladesque songs that sounded great. They have a bit of a grunge sound and they sounded good when playing in that style. When they tried to venture into more commercial sounding material they failed. They did a cover of Alice In Chain's Man In The Box. Their vocalist sounded just like Layne Staley. It was erie!!! He sounded closer to Layne than anyone else I have heard including Maynard Keenan or William DuValle (heard both perform AiC covers live).

Next up was Evanescence. I am a fan of Lacuna Coil but was never a fan of Evanescence or any of the other spin off bands. When the band came out and performed I was shocked at how good they sounded. Amy Lee sounded excellent and moved around the stage with passion. She was the show. The rest of the band were spot on and the sound was very good. They were all excellent musicans. The drummer was very good and should probably be playing in a band that is more challenging to his skills, but that doesn't pay the bills as well as this gig. I went into the show as a casual fan of a few of their songs and left out wanting to hear more. The new material is very good and probably better than anything they have done since Fallen.

The band's setlist was as follows:

01. What You Want (new song)
02. Going Under
03. Weight Of The World
04. The Only One
05. The Change (new song)
06. Lithium
07. Your Star
08. Whisper
09. Oceans (new song)
10. Call Me When You're Sober
11. Imaginary
12. Bring Me To Life
13. All That I'm Living For
14. Good Enough
15. My Immortal
16. The Other Side (new song)

I got the setlists from Blabbermouth.net as I was not familiar with their song titles and it looks correct. Going Under, My Immortal, The Change were all excellent. Bring Me Back To Life didn't have the male vocal parts and they cut a section out of the song but it was still a good performance despite that. The floor was only 2/3's full but the balcony was a sell out. I would say there was 1500 people in the place which isn't bad considering it is Nashville, TN and the show was not promoted at all until about a week ago on the radio stations.

Also, I literally ran into Amy Lee at the hotel hours before the show. I hung out a little bit after the show too. She was very nice and down to earth. No diva like behavior. There was a long line of fans (approximately 80 people) waiting after the show and she signed everything. She wouldn't take pictures with the fans but it was understandable due to the fact there were so many people and she just played a killer show.

It was free, it was fun and I would see them again. They are better than I thought they would be in a live setting.

Last edited by WOLVERINEKILLS; 08-18-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:09 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

11/14 - Slayer
Old 08-18-2011, 12:36 PM
That Guy

Can't say I'm a fan, but I heard that they do put on a great show.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:37 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

How are the new songs?
Old 08-18-2011, 03:48 PM
N00B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btArF...eature=related
What You Want
Old 08-18-2011, 07:11 PM
N00B

I have to say, that Amy is one of the few female voices that I dig...."The Change" it's a great new song, I heard it on youtube

and about your commentary towards Will Hunt, the drummer, before recording this new album, he was on tour with Black Label Society if I'm correct.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Evanescence is still a thing? Are they even that big of a draw?
09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch
Old 08-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Man, I thought Evanescence was the shit when I was 17. Then I realized that, talentwise, Amy Lee is on roughly the same level as the chicks that sing the national anthem at minor league baseball games.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:33 AM
Cowboy From Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Evanescence is still a thing? Are they even that big of a draw?
I would venture to guess that draw what Rob Zombie, Godsmack, Disturbed, Shinedown, etc in most major cities, probably selling out 4000 seat clubs. Fallen sold almost as many copies as Appetite For Destruction even though it was released 15 years later when album sales were on the decline due to the internet. Due to this will likely always be able to at least headline clubs.

I have seen several of the other female fronted bands like In This Moment, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, Otep, Arch Enemy, etc. I think Amy Lee's range and live performance has all of the rest beat. I wasn't really a big fan but after this show she has won me over. If you had asked me my opinion of her a day before the show I would have told you she has an above average voice laced with copious amounts of effects. I was wrong. She has a powerful voice with a bit of reverb/delay added like any other vocalist. Evanescence is nowhere close to being my fav band but I have to give her the respect she earned from me at this show.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:41 AM
Concert Veteran

I don't care what anyone says, Fallen is a great album.

Unfortunately the band has been taking way too long to come out with new stuff and the last one wasn't that good and the song I heard off the new album doesn't get my hopes up. Also, when you're only on your third album in eight years it doesn't exactly keep my interest too much. It's not like they're some classic rock band who has built up enough goodwill with the fans that they can take that kind of time between releases.

Tags
evanescence