Megadeth -- Denver, CO -- September 16th, 2007
Queen - Atlantic City, NJ -- July 26th, 2014
Touche Amore -- Lawrence, KS -- July 27th, 2014
Machine Head -- Toledo, OH -- July 18th, 2014
MayhemFest -- Clarkston, MI -- July 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 08-26-2011, 02:14 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

only Destruction album I like. hate the old stuff, and their new album blows too
Old 08-26-2011, 02:36 PM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by logAnarchy View Post
only Destruction album I like. hate the old stuff, and their new album blows too
Yeah the new album wasn't very good. Their old stuff is awesome but the shitty production throws everything off. Luckily a lot of their live set is old material, and it sounds AWESOME!
Old 08-26-2011, 02:57 PM

Gama Bomb - Citizen Brain

Out of all the new thrash bands out there, Gama Bomb from good ol Ireland is one of the best to replicate the old school sound right.

Citizen Brain is full of incredible and fast riffs that will make you bang your head and circle pit wherever you are for 38 minutes straight. Every instrument is audible on here and everything sounds amazing. They all stick out in their own way. The guitars are clear, the bass is heavy, the drums are fast, and the vocals are very unique. The vocals are hard to describe, but the one big thing about the singer is that he can hit those highs fucking good. The guitar solos are a big part of this album too. Usually fast but not wankery and fit the album perfectly.

Most of the songs are around the 2:30 mark, give or take a few seconds. They also have a re-recorded version of Bullet Belt from their first album, Survival of the Fastest. These guys also have a huge sense of humor, what with their songs being about stuff like zombies, video games, thrashing, etc.

If you love newer thrash, I highly recommend this album, it's definitely one of the best of the genre today that you can listen to.

Highlights:
Zombie Blood Nightmare
Hammer Slammer
Sentenced to Thrash
Old 08-26-2011, 03:00 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
Yeah the new album wasn't very good. Their old stuff is awesome but the shitty production throws everything off. Luckily a lot of their live set is old material, and it sounds AWESOME!
That's actually why I don't like their old stuff. Their production fucking kills it for me. But yeah, I'm sure it'd be much better live.

and I downloaded that free Gama Bomb album from Earache, but I hated it, mainly because of the vocals
Old 08-26-2011, 10:36 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
That's actually why I don't like their old stuff. Their production fucking kills it for me. But yeah, I'm sure it'd be much better live.
Have you listened to Release from Agony? The production on that is fairly good. And they released an album of re-recorded old songs.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

Quote:
and I downloaded that free Gama Bomb album from Earache, but I hated it, mainly because of the vocals
I love Gama Bomb's vocals.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:03 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post

Sacred Reich - Ignorance

I look at this one as an underrated classic. It's also another one of those albums that's different from most thrash albums, but it's hard to explain in words, you have to listen to it to understand that.

You know how you're listening to a song and then comes that boring part you don't really care for and could do without, causing you to skip to another song? This album doesn't have any of that. In better terms, it's all killer, no filler. That's what makes Ignorance stand out from a lot of thrash albums.

Everything on here is amazing. You can hear every instrument near perfectly. The guitar on here is a huge stand out though out of everything. The riffs, be it slow or fast, are consistently awesome throughout the album. There are a lot of great guitar solos on here scattered throughout various parts of songs that tie them together.

If a part of a song isn't fast and chaotic, the mid paced or slow areas don't disappoint as well. It's pretty much throughout the entire album (minus Layed to Rest, the clean song which flawlessly leads into the title track, probably my favorite Sacred Reich song).

As it says on the album picture, Ignorance is a metal classic and if you haven't heard it by now you need to check it out.

Highlights:
Ignorance
No Believers
Sacred Reich
My respect level for your musical taste just went up another notch. Another all-time favorite for me. I threw it in after not listening to it for 5 years or so and still knew every word at 200 mph. It astounds me that I can't remember a girls name I met 5 min ago but remember every word from this cd.

One of those cd's that when I hear certain songs it takes me back to that time. No Believers is everything I love in a thrash song and that intro sets it up perfectly. Great choice. Would be in my Top 15 for sure.
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther
Old 08-27-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
My respect level for your musical taste just went up another notch. Another all-time favorite for me. I threw it in after not listening to it for 5 years or so and still knew every word at 200 mph. It astounds me that I can't remember a girls name I met 5 min ago but remember every word from this cd.

One of those cd's that when I hear certain songs it takes me back to that time. No Believers is everything I love in a thrash song and that intro sets it up perfectly. Great choice. Would be in my Top 15 for sure.
Thanks! It's also amazing that after decades they can still put on a good live show.

Well we're reaching the top 20 now, this is where things start getting really good. #20 will be up shortly. Hint: Someone in this thread said that this album better be on here Well, they're in luck!
Old 08-27-2011, 08:44 AM

Vektor - Black Future

While it may not be my personal favorite, I have to say that this is hands down, one of the best, if not the best, recent thrash album of the decade. This isn't your generic neo-thrash band/album, this is incredible.

Vektor takes technical/progressive thrash metal to a whole new and different level. Taking inspiration from bands like Voivod and Destruction, among others, they combine all sorts of thrash together to make this monster called Black Future.

Every instrument is phenomenal on here. Both guitarists are incredibly talented and show it, the bassist has some of the best basslines on a thrash album, and the drummer is very technical and skilled at what he does. Now, the one thing that sticks out the most, and sounds incredibly awesome is the vocals. Hot damn, I don't even know how to describe them except with one word: AMAZING. It's like a mix of high pitched vocals with vocals you'd find in bands like Sepultura or Kreator. They're very different but as far as I know, they don't seem to turn anyone off.

Some of the songs are rather long, usually ranging from 10 to 13 minutes. The rest are around the 5 to 6 minute mark. But regardless of song length, this album never lets down throughout the listen. The songs have it all, clean passages, very fast parts, and a whole lot of progressive elements.

This will be a classic in the very near future, I can guarantee that. If you haven't heard this album by now, you are missing out BAD.

Highlights:
Hunger for Violence
Black Future
Forests of Legend
Old 08-27-2011, 09:40 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

In before Mankvill says, "Black Future should be #1 on any thrash list! Fuckface!"

Good list so far though. Except for Voivod. I fucking hate Voivod.