Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014
Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Kansas City, MO -- December 16th, 2014

Old 09-02-2011, 08:12 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Hell Awaits is amazing, Slayer were such a visceral band back then. They still are probably the most violent band in the mainstream today, but back then, I can really only imagine hearing Hell Awaits when it first came out.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:14 AM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Slayer - Hell Awaits

All this Slayer talk on here inadvertently lead up to this! Man, you guys are great at guessing!

There are a ton of awesome Slayer releases. Pretty much any of them in the 80s and Seasons in the Abyss. But out of all of them, I gotta say, Hell Awaits has got to be my favorite by far. It's very close with Reign in Blood but with that album, I usually end up skipping the last half of some songs. With this album, I can listen to it all the way through without having to skip anything because this album never lets down.

This album is pure evil right here. Everything sounds so demonic and maniacal which gives it its signature sound. This isn't your typical Slayer album, this is unique and incredible. This is Hell fucking Awaits. The production isn't as great compared to every album that followed and can be regarded as questionable. Hell, I question it sometimes too and wish it had better production, but in the end it's what makes the album what it is. The sound Slayer creates on this album is complimented by the production, so everything actually does fit in together. It's best not to worry about the production of an album anyway unless it REALLY interferes with the sound though.

I can say so much about the instruments on here. Everything is mixed perfectly and you can hear every instrument equally. The guitar riffs are to say the least. And who isn't amazed by the beast that is Dave Lombardo? But Tom Araya really makes this album. His voice on here sounds so evil, and the lyrics are amazing.

Master Of The Blackened Arts
Living His Decree
Thrives Amongst The Seven Gates
Searching For The Keys

I Have Seen The Darkened Depths Of Hell
Sorcery Beyond The Witches Spell
Robbed The Crypts Of Deaths Eternity
Killed The Priest And Cursed Him Endlessly

There are only seven songs on here, but some of the song lengths go up to seven minutes, so it's not too short of an album. The best thing I love about Hell Awaits is that it ends the same way it began That part is epic as hell! Only few bands can pull that on albums because they have to be incredibly good. Hell Awaits is no exception, this album is worthy of anything.

I could go on forever about this album, but it is definitely one of Slayer's best out there. This album was WAY ahead of it's time, you would never find something as evil and chaotic as this album in 1985.

Highlights:
Hell Awaits
Kill Again
At Dawn They Sleep
Necrophiliac
Hardening of the Arteries 2:10
Old 09-02-2011, 11:18 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Wow, it's gonna be interesting (for me, at least) to see what you put ahead of this. 7 more? Damn.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Wow, it's gonna be interesting (for me, at least) to see what you put ahead of this. 7 more? Damn.
No one here will be disappointed, that's for sure.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
No one here will be disappointed, that's for sure.
Oh, I can pretty much guarantee you that won't be the case. Did you forget what board this is?
Old 09-02-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Oh, I can pretty much guarantee you that won't be the case. Did you forget what board this is?
Yeah good point. People don't understand that this is more of a personal list. I like some things more than others.

Anyway, #7 coming later today if I'm home. If I'm not home, then very late tonight.

WARNING:

This next album is violent. Like, VERY FUCKING VIOLENT. I gave this same warning for Spectrum of Death earlier but this next one is like that album on crack. True story: About a year ago I was doing math homework listening to this album and I almost trashed everything because of how intense and chaotic this album was. It's probably the only album to make feel like actually breaking shit around me.

Listen to it at your own risk, this next album is fucking crazy. Again, it will be coming either later today or late tonight.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:13 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
WARNING:

This next album is violent. Like, VERY FUCKING VIOLENT. I gave this same warning for Spectrum of Death earlier but this next one is like that album on crack. True story: About a year ago I was doing math homework listening to this album and I almost trashed everything because of how intense and chaotic this album was. It's probably the only album to make feel like actually breaking shit around me.

Listen to it at your own risk, this next album is fucking crazy. Again, it will be coming either later today or late tonight.
I know what it is...

Old 09-02-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I know what it is...

Old 09-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
I know what it is...

That my friend is f'n HILARIOUS!

7 albums better than Hell Awaits and Reign in Blood not being one of them? Yeah I predict a future shitstorm. hahaha
Old 09-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

I'm too drunk to go back through this, but now that Slayer, Metallica and Anthrax are out of the list, I wonder what's next. I better see Tankard and Sodom coming up.